Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Foreshadowing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cattledog

Supporting Member
Feb 9, 2012
San Antonio, TX
If you look at the new Design Studio for the Model S that came out today, you are looking at the future of the Model X - reasonable base price and expensive options - a more expensive car than imagined a year ago. Our S would be about $10K more today than what we paid for it in December. Onward to 25% margins!

I saw that, and immediately thought of the whole "the model x will be priced comparable to a similarly equipped model s" statement. Now the car I'd want is about 125k, and in a year and change, that might hit 135k. The Model X (with dual motors) is going to be a monster. Too bad we couldn't lock in pricing in it (or get a larger battery for the price).

I'm somewhat disappointed only in that Tesla had talked about the master plan of high end, then "mid" market, then mass market. It was always a bit of a stretch to me to call the S/X a "mid" market, but ok, it's less than the Roadster by a good amount.

Well, it was less by a good amount. A decked out S or X is going to be nearly the same as a decked out Roadster. Granted, there's a few year's inflation difference, but inflation hasn't been all that big.

It dims my hopes a bit for Elon achieving his goal of pushing the electrification of cars in general.

It certainly seems counter intuitive to the whole price reductions due to increased volume/mass production concept. Add to that that electronic gear get cheaper over time, not more expensive and it's maybe alarming...

On a suggestion, TM has just expanded its options to the 60 kWh customer base which is the big get here. Way to go TM!!!! Prior to the change a customer wanting the fabric interior could not get wood or carbon fiber and it is available.

We have to keep in mind that the very material (Aluminum) that is used to produce the S has gone up in pricing as well so TM has passed alone the cost to its customer. The monies gained from the sales of the S will surely benefit Model X, Gen III and the future TM product line.

I doubt Tesla wants/needs my advice, but this unbundling has destroyed the significant value they had created with the prior package pricing. When I built and priced the original car, it was easy to say, "Oh, it's only $X thousand to upgrade to the P85 from the 85 and look at all this other stuff you get." I had a similar feeling when the P85+ came out and before I knew it, I had a loaded P85+ justified.

I went back through today with the a la carte pricing and wound up building a plain-old S85 with tech and "maybe" the high fidelity stereo because of my unnatural affection for XMSirius. Not even the parking sensors, since I've managed not to tear up my current car, which is dimensionally comparable to the Model S.

Anyway, optionality is interesting, but there's a reason that package pricing is a marketing mainstay. It will be interesting to see what kinds of cars we see built in the coming months.

If you look at the new Design Studio for the Model S that came out today, you are looking at the future of the Model X - reasonable base price and expensive options - a more expensive car than imagined a year ago. Our S would be about $10K more today than what we paid for it in December. Onward to 25% margins!

The first thing I thought when I saw the new pricing this morning was how expensive the X is going to be. Unfortunate, as I don't see it will be worth the excess. 90-100k is one thing... 120+ is ridiculous.

syqabuza.jpg
Although the X will be for my wife, she has said that my last $120k+ vehicle purchase will be... my last :rolleyes:

Well. For Sig X holders...Put the 35K deposit difference in TSLA @$135 Monday and there is a better than even chance that you will more than make up for any price increase.

That being said. I stretched to get the 85P+; Dual motor 85/100kw X will probably be north of 125K. I am trying to rationalize it as a 'green' investment/replacement for a 14mpgRR Sport.

Model X...

How many 3 row seating, AWD crossovers are North of $100k? What's the comparable for this audience?

Granted, Tesla's value proposition is so much more than what any ICE brings to the table, but the price delta is beginning to be a real stretch for this segment... more so than the Model S.

I'm somewhat disappointed only in that Tesla had talked about the master plan of high end, then "mid" market, then mass market. It was always a bit of a stretch to me to call the S/X a "mid" market, but ok, it's less than the Roadster by a good amount.

Well, it was less by a good amount. A decked out S or X is going to be nearly the same as a decked out Roadster. Granted, there's a few year's inflation difference, but inflation hasn't been all that big.

It dims my hopes a bit for Elon achieving his goal of pushing the electrification of cars in general.

When Elon speaks of Tesla's three-stage price/volume strategy, he skips over the Model X. I believe that's because, in his mind, the Model X is just an extension of the Model S. The real test for a new price category will be with the Gen III sedan. It appears that it will have a base price less than the BWM i3. It could easily be $5K less. That will change everything.