TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Forged vs cast aluminum wheels ?

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by jbini1, Oct 5, 2012.

1. jbini1

jbini1 Member

#1 jbini1, Oct 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2012
    What is the benifit of the forged rims? They cost more so I assume they are better. But I run aluminum rims on my other car to help keep the weight of and I have never had a issue. Do the aluminum rims offer better milage due to power:weight ratio ?

2. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Both are aluminum. But the method of manufacture is different. Forged rims have higher strength and lower weight than standard cast rims. They are harder to manufacture.

3. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Lighter wheels have the potential of reducing the power required because there is linear, vertical, and angular inertia that the motor must overcome rather than just linear inertia. However, unless the weight difference is very great (resulting in a cost difference that is also very great) the end result will require some really sensitive equipment to show the difference. This is because the wheel is closer to the centre of rotation than the tire so it's easily overpowered by tire choice.

• Informative x 1
  4. jbini1

jbini1 Member

#4 jbini1, Oct 6, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
    It sounds a little complicated. But I kinda understand it from racing classes. Although this is one of those time I wish i furthered my education. Lol. The casted rims from TMC must be lighter? 2200 cost difference can't be all labor ? Anyone bent those cast rims? I see them on roadsters.... But like most, im sure those roadsters have less than 10 or 15 thousand miles on them. So sad!!

5. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

I have bent both the forged and cast rims. It doesn't take much. The forged are supposed to be stronger. That may be true but not by much.

• Funny x 1
  6. jbini1

jbini1 Member

Thank you for the info !!! I'm just looking for a cheap set to mess with so a $1000 doesn't seem bad and put my forged aside. $250 a rim is affordable for the limited options.

7. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

The other way around actually. Forging makes the aluminum stronger and so you can have less spoke material for the same strength. So forged wheels tend to be lighter, but cost more.

Cast Wheels vs Forged Wheels | HRE Performance Wheels | Luxury Street Motorsport

• Informative x 1
  8. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

> casted rims [jbini1]

If the rim weighs around 16 pounds it had better be forged. Around 21 pounds cast is commonplace. Max weight info on spoke is usually around 1700 pounds per rim, sufficient for any Tesla IMHO. If you seriously hit a curb any rim is gonna be toast, forged or otherwise.

Snow is now on the mountaintops, so the G6 rims with snow treads are going on the Roadster soon. All that bodacious chrome - but I'm trusting the hill folk will understand.
    --

9. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  10. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

LMAO. Fortunately no one is going to bother stealing the wheels off a Prius.

• Funny x 2
  11. PV4EV

PV4EV Member

I changed brake pads today so I weighed the wheels. I have a set of both unused cast and used lighter weight forged ones on the car. Both were supplied by Tesla UK.

The front 16" forged wheel with part worn tyre weighed in at 14.9 kg.
    An used 16" cast wheel with unused tyre weighs 18.0 kg

Difference of about 18% lighter.

The rear 17" forged wheel with part worn tyre weight in at 18.1 kg
    The rear 17" cast wheel with new tyre weighed 22.2kg

Difference of about 19%.

Hope this helps ..

------------------------

ETA :-

I was putting new Carbotech AX6 pads on my car today. I've compared the thickness of pad material of the new pads to the 1st/original set that came off around 25k and the originals had very very little wear on them, like 1mm missing from about 7 or 8mm thickness. The discs were not worn much either. Amazing what regen can save you :)

• Informative x 2
  12. hill

hill Member

Now that several manufacturers are doing carbon fiber wheels, the whole cast vs forged is much more moot. Unless $$ is the factor
    ;)

13. simonog

simonog Member

Carbon fibre sounds interesting.

Can one match the size and stress loading?

If one kerbed a wheel, instead of being scarred would carbon fibre potentially shatter?

14. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

Carbon fiber is very durable and now used for racing wheels. Detailed thread on Carbon Fiber Rims

15. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

I've heard where Forged rims bend and get damaged striking a pot hole, Carbon Fiber rims today exhibit no damage at all. The CF absorbs shock, so less stress when getting jarred by road imperfections. Also a smoother ride since much of the road rattle and banging does not transfer from the road to the wheel and through the car. They use CF wheels on motorcycles and street wheels today. Only negative side is the cost. If you curb-rash them as long as the CF weave is not damaged they're ok, but once the weave has been damaged they're pretty much done and not sure if they can be repaired.

16. simonog

simonog Member

Has anyone found CF wheels which suit our cars?

17. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Always in Ludicrous mode

check out that thread FlatSix911 posted above....

18. simonog

simonog Member

Thank you - though that appears to be Model S specific and I'm thinking for the Roadster....

19. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

You'll have to do your homework and start contacting carbon rim manufacturers if you're interested. Need to know the bolt pattern size, offset, and size you want to run. I can tell you this right now, nobody will be making them nor will they be any off the shelf due to the odd / limited wheels made with our bolt pattern size. You'll need to ask someone to custom make them and that's going to cost you.