Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Forget Everything I Have Said... I’m Now Totally In!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was unworthy... completely blind ... I was a doubter at first but now I have seen the light! When Elon revealed the new Cybertruck I was dazed and confused especially when the windows broke ... I was like... WTH? I posted my displease at what I perceived was an epic FAIL... but boy was I wrong .. then it hit me, those smashed windows were an act of pure marketing GENIUS! I thought why would Elon have the guy smash the first window and then a second window if it wasn’t meant to be? Why would Elon set us all up after a long demonstration for a failure if it wasn’t planned?

Well it was planned, it was all bait and many of us fell for it including yours truly... I feel like a jerk!

Remember these words after the windows broke?... “Elon = Well there’s room for improvement!” My prediction will be once this baby is ready for prime time production, Elon will have another event where hundreds of large steel balls will rain down from above while air cannons fire even more from the sides but NOTHING WILL BREAK this time.... Elon will then step to the mic with that huge Musk grin of his and say... “Ummm... I guess we improved it!... now come and get it!!!” ... or something to that effect!

Anyone agree with me? Please let me know... thanks!

B19AC381-E944-4091-BFBC-1A14BD811B2B.jpeg

Rendering by AV-Design

Last edited:
It wasn’t staged. The first think Elon said was “Oh my F***ing god!” and once he regained composure, he said room for improvement. Elon is an extreme perfectionist, and would never pull a cheap marketing stunt like that.

Also if it were staged, it wouldn’t have taken them over an hour to go fetch and replace the windows before the test rides, with hundreds of people waiting in line. They would have had replacements at the ready.

I don’t believe it was staged and I’m happy it happened, it showed that “there’s room for improvement” and that this potential flaw will be fixed before release, hopefully it even equates to a slightly stronger glass as a by product of them improving the glass, and I believe that the press gained has worked in Elon’s favor!

Put me in the group that says absolutely staged. He is a perfectionist and windows just don't decide to crack they either would at testing or not. Such pansy throws t0o...very rehearsed. Throw that softly at thick windows and I'll bet it looks no different. If the windows are actually the sort of high tech AL glass than they would not crack or bounce from that sort of throw. Anyhow, guess we'll find out.

In today's marketing world this sort of stunt is common, Trump does this constantly and people still fall for it. Elon is excellent at marketing. Why wouldn't you do it if it works, no ads and millions know what the truck is and a few hundred thousand have reserved them already. Without the "stage failure" would have just been a yawn. Since it is virtually impossible for material to suddenly "fail" than I am in the bucket of staged. If they had concerns on the window materials they'd have skipped it. They highlighted it, so it was staged.

Whether it was staged or not, I'm glad you have seen the light and become part of the fold!!

And your idea of having him blast the truck up and down with a hailstorm of metal balls sounds awesome, I can't wait to see it!

Reactions: RIP->OPEC
Put me in the group that says absolutely staged. He is a perfectionist and windows just don't decide to crack they either would at testing or not. Such pansy throws t0o...very rehearsed. Throw that softly at thick windows and I'll bet it looks no different. If the windows are actually the sort of high tech AL glass than they would not crack or bounce from that sort of throw. Anyhow, guess we'll find out.

In today's marketing world this sort of stunt is common, Trump does this constantly and people still fall for it. Elon is excellent at marketing. Why wouldn't you do it if it works, no ads and millions know what the truck is and a few hundred thousand have reserved them already. Without the "stage failure" would have just been a yawn. Since it is virtually impossible for material to suddenly "fail" than I am in the bucket of staged. If they had concerns on the window materials they'd have skipped it. They highlighted it, so it was staged.

Agreed! Musk is very calculating... nothing is left to chance... even his “WTF” comment was staged! .. musk is just a terrible actor when he smiled while saying it ... he failed to act COMPLETELY shocked which I’m sure was in the script ... the glass broke, he then told the guy to aim at the rear side window and do it AGAIN! That was the giveaway that the whole show was indeed staged. Hank and others above are still in the dark. Mark my words, remember them, the final chapter regarding the Cybertruck will soon be written.

Last edited:
Whether it was staged or not, I'm glad you have seen the light and become part of the fold!!

And your idea of having him blast the truck up and down with a hailstorm of metal balls sounds awesome, I can't wait to see it!

I sure hope Elon pulls something like that off... it will blow everyone away! And after the Cybertruck emerges unscathed, he rolls in a Ford F150 for the same steel ball test...and the whole thing dings and shatters! Thanks for posting...

"My prediction will be once this baby is ready for prime time production, Elon will have another event where hundreds of large steel balls will rain down from above while air cannons fire even more from the sides but NOTHING WILL BREAK this time.... Elon will then step to the mic with that huge Musk grin of his and say... “Ummm... I guess we improved it!... now come and get it!!!” ... or something to that effect!"

I have a feeling that's altogether unnecessary, since they have hundreds of thousands of deposits and likely enough hand raisers to absorb years of initial production. Under these circumstances a simple here's your new truck will generate more excitement, and orders, than they can handle.

Glass smashing was an accident...

Elon's VERY calculating... nothing is left to chance... he spends the first half of the presentation talking about the special materials, from heavy gauge Stainless Steel to bulletproof glass then spends another 15 minutes dropping steel balls from an elevated drop onto the glass that doesn't shatter like Ford's windshield did earlier only to have it break on his truck, not once but TWICE!?!?... come on now.... I admit I FELL FOR IT TOO until I watched the replay... it was pure marketing genius as he continuously beats the competition without spending one red cent on advertising... it proves his technique... So I'd prepare yourself... pre sale numbers or not, if he can take a shot at his competition he most certainly will just for the FUN of it as Elon sure loves to do... that's his TRUE genius, having FUN!

Thus I'm sticking by my comments, it was not only a very well calculated set-up, we all fell for it in one way or another .... as PLANNED!!! So just wait... I'll be vindicated when the Cybertruck is ready for its second coming... please stand by.

Last edited:
I was there at the unveiling with my gf. In the front row. From the very beginning, I thought the window deal was staged. The way it was handled was the first clue for me, being so close to it.

After the presentation, we were talking to someone behind us. Within literally a few minutes, they had rolled the original CT off the stage and replaced it with a full-size clay model painted CT for photos. In fact, the second one looked so good from a distance, when I finally noticed that it had been swapped out, it was because of the windows NOT being broken (the rest of it looked as "real" as the first truck from a distance). Anyways, they rolled the original truck off the stage, had techs standing by and spare window parts, and they swapped out the broken windows before making it available for test drives. Spare parts? Techs? Huh? That's a lot of planning...Another checkmark for being staged.

Hank says it took an hour to swap the windows, and I don't know exactly, but I'm going to say it was less than that because the test rides started (I think) sooner than one hour. The fact that they had the techs and the spare parts there made it very suspicious to me. All publicity is good publicity, uh-huh.

And now that they've partnered with Mattel to make the small toy trucks, did you read that the larger CT will come with decals for the broken windows? Wonder whose idea that was? If that was an accident and an embarrassment, Elon and Tesla wouldn't let them include those decals. But with everything I saw and have read, I'm convinced. I'm in the "staged" camp.

Attachments

• Truck.jpg
    Truck.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
I was there at the unveiling with my gf. In the front row. From the very beginning, I thought the window deal was staged. The way it was handled was the first clue for me, being so close to it.

After the presentation, we were talking to someone behind us. Within literally a few minutes, they had rolled the original CT off the stage and replaced it with a full-size clay model painted CT for photos. In fact, the second one looked so good from a distance, when I finally noticed that it had been swapped out, it was because of the windows NOT being broken (the rest of it looked as "real" as the first truck from a distance). Anyways, they rolled the original truck off the stage, had techs standing by and spare window parts, and they swapped out the broken windows before making it available for test drives. Spare parts? Techs? Huh? That's a lot of planning...Another checkmark for being staged.

Hank says it took an hour to swap the windows, and I don't know exactly, but I'm going to say it was less than that because the test rides started (I think) sooner than one hour. The fact that they had the techs and the spare parts there made it very suspicious to me. All publicity is good publicity, uh-huh.

And now that they've partnered with Mattel to make the small toy trucks, did you read that the larger CT will come with decals for the broken windows? Wonder whose idea that was? If that was an accident and an embarrassment, Elon and Tesla wouldn't let them include those decals. But with everything I saw and have read, I'm convinced. I'm in the "staged" camp.
We were about a dozen people from the front of the line. I know we were in line way longer than an hour. We saw them carry new glass back to where the Cybertruck was around 10 pm (see Abstract Ocean on Twitter) Much later, we saw the janitors pushing a rolling trash bin which contained the broken glass. We got a ride but I know a lot of people didn't because they shut things down a couple hours later. After the ride, we took some pictures and went back to the hotel and I can remember it was nearly 2 am.

• Love
Reactions: HankLloydRight

Custom glass is ordered in quantities of more than one. Why wouldn't the people that built it 'techs' be at the event?

And Elon embraces failure, just check out the SpaceX blooper reel.

Not buying "staged". Planning would be extreme to include the "OMFG" played exactly right.

So much easier to believe the windows were optimistically subjected to much abuse, and just failed at the wrong time. Yes, both. On stage, something was different about how they were thrown, cracking per previous abuse.

Buyers lined up by the half-million easily despite the crack, trusting that Elon will have it fixed pronto. Hence the importance of Elon Musk the brand: failure of bleeding-edge tech is embraced, learned from, and iterated past rapidly to awesomeness.

And yes they had replacement parts handy. They're throwing giant steel balls at glass - of course you keep a replacement on hand "just in case".

Anyways, they rolled the original truck off the stage, had techs standing by and spare window parts, and they swapped out the broken windows before making it available for test drives. Spare parts? Techs? Huh? That's a lot of planning...Another checkmark for being staged. The fact that they had the techs and the spare parts there made it very suspicious to me. All publicity is good publicity, uh-huh.

Very, very interesting Randy, very suspicious too at that they had just a pair of DRIVER SIDE DOOR GLASS just waiting to go! ... lol... and nothing else, no body panels... just side glass... lol. To all the naysayers, so why didn't the CT glass break during the vertical steel-ball demo-drop (that had much greater force than gently pitching the ball) if they were presumably made from the same glass? I"ll tell you why... it was planned! Just looking and observing Elon's style over the years, says it all. Maybe you all didn't grow up in a big city where con's and shysters and street magicians also distract the viewer into perceiving what they wish you to see, hear and think. Well Elon is a one man magic show.... just think about it for a minute....

It's not that he grinned when it went down, IT'S HOW HE GRINNED WHEN IT DID and then asked for the guy to try the rear side window as well that also smashed!.... and then almost on cue... "I guess there's room for improvement!" .... BINGO! There's the marketing hook in a nutshell, and we're STILL talking about his well choreographed magic act.... genius! Like I said, just wait for the full launch... it will most definitely be a spectacle as the pick-up truck market is HUGE!

That was the clincher for me too Randy! I'm with you all the way! Thanks for posting!

Last edited:
Reactions: cuspie
Elon is a demanding leader. Not a bad thing at all times. Just a fact.

I believe that about 0.5 seconds after the windows broke, one of his handlers called and ordered techs and glass to come. Phone call would go like this:

The windows just broke. Get over here now or you can talk to Elon about it tomorrow.

Second call was to bring in a backup model for the stage. Now way he wanted it left on the stage and they needed to fix the glass.

No way it was staged. He's a demanding billionaire, and the people around him know how to make him happy even if he isn't.

Reactions: kavyboy