Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Forget HOV lanes, what about HOT lanes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The new 407 East extension is owned by the Ontario govt but they are piggybacking off of the 407ETR and I believe that the 407ETR organization will handle transponders and tolling for the provincially owned portion.

I didn't know that. I wonder if the provincially owned section will still charge the ludicrously high rates that the 407-ETR charges? (My guess: probably!) I think the average toll is over 30 cents / km.

I don't know that they have set the tolls yet but the expectation is that they will be a bit cheaper than the existing portion, but then again these are somewhat outside the core of Toronto in Durham region.

High toll rates is a double edged sword as low tolls means congestion. I want the tolls to be just high enough to ensure that traffic moves at 100km. If tolls are lower there isn't much point in taking the 407 over the 401. I want there to be an option to pay a premium to save time.

I want there to be an option to pay a premium to save time.

I'm thinking that's the strategy behind the proposed HOT lanes. You can pay to get in to them even if alone.

WRT the 407, I recall there was some sort of stipulation around the time of sale that toll increases had to be somehow linked to traffic volumes. They couldn't increase the tolls unless volumes went up by some percentage, or something like that. I'm not sure where the pain threshold is for the average driver, but I know for me, I'll use the 407 judiciously because of the cost. But still my average bill is around $100 / month.

With Hwy 407 tolls can only be increased only if minimum volume levels per lane are met and that has not been an issue given the strong growth in that area.

I would argue that this is one of the benefits of a privately owned highway - the highway operator will add lanes if it allows them to make more money. A government run highway with no tolling has much less incentive to add lanes since it isn't like the Deputy Minster of the MOT is going to get a big bonus because highway congestion was reduced. And you have seen the 407 add a lot of lane capacity since the highway opened. In this way there is good alignment of incentives between the highway operator and customers of the highway. I don't use the highway much since I live far south of it, but I do normally take it when I go from my home in Scarborough to the Hamilton area as it is very likely to save me time as the alternatives (QEW,403,401) often have traffic jams.