Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Forget the truck (please), can we talk about that trainwreck of a reveal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've watched every product reveal Tesla has ever had, been a Model S owner for 5 years, and an enthusiastic ambassador of the brand. But that had to be the single worst product reveal I have ever seen. Elon has never been accused of being a gifted public speaker, but tonight sets new standards for inarticulateness. From the awkward pauses for cheering that never happened, to Elon's incomprehensible commentary, to the bizarre S&M themed glass demonstration, to the epic fail of a glass shatter test that will live in infamy, to the truck itself which can best be described as the Aztek's less attractive cousin.

Wow. That presentation will be shown in marketing classes for decades as what not to do at a product launch. Now might be a good time to debadge my model S.

Epic... fail. :cool:

epic-fail-4.jpg

Last edited:
I’m not surprised at all by the presentation. That’s never been Tesla’s forte. All of their new product reveal presentations are put together haphazardly. I doubt they even rehearsed it more than once.

It's still much better than Ford Mach E unveiling.

CyberTruck presentation is quite informative with good and honest demonstration that the glass still breaks but at least, it's tougher than regular ones.

What? The Mach E showed a decent exterior with a beautiful interior. We didn't even see the interior of the cybertruck. No one cares, except drug lords, if the glass is unbreakable.
The Mach E is a car most people would buy. The Cybertruck is only for extreme niche fanboys. Go read Reddit Tesla subreddits or Twitter, the majority hate this vehicle.

He got worse after the broken windows. Elon was really upset by it.

I'm wondering if someone fitted that prototype unit with regular auto glass and they neglected to tell Elon.
Alternative possibility...the glass is 2 years away from actually existing in automotive form.

And a question...is shatterproof side glass something truck buyers are even looking for? Have they considered that this is the exit point first responders often use to extract passengers in serious car accidents?

Alternative possibility...the glass is 2 years away from actually existing in automotive form.

And a question...is shatterproof side glass something truck buyers are even looking for? Have they considered that this is the exit point first responders often use to extract passengers in serious car accidents?

Aren't the Semi's windows shatterproof? I assume this was based on some of the same stuff.

Then why demo it live? You would assume they tried this 10 times before the live reveal.

I think they prepared for the drop and the hammer but not for the throw.

The force of dropping the ball from a prepared height is predictable but if you let a human throw a ball, the force is variable depending on the human's mood at that time.