Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Forget the truck (please), can we talk about that trainwreck of a reveal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
not exactly what I think will take any meaningful market share from the F-150.

I wonder if they fully realize the gravitas of the situation. They are in a strong position, but there will be a race to capture the electric truck market, and while the specs were good... they need to convince a lot of rather traditional automotive customers to make a big leap, and divisive styling isn't going to help them.

That was my guess, a lot of the presentation seemed disjointed as though they weren't on the same page. My thought is someone didn't expect them to do that, though the drop test was it and didn't install the correct glass on the truck...

They really need to spend some money on people to clean up these presentations especially as they become more mainstream. You want people to watch these and have confidence in the brand, instead of wondering if this was such a mess what is the vehicle going to be like.
To me it looked like Elon just got off the helicopter from Space X HQ 5 minutes late and walked onto the stage, hadn't read the cue cards in advance, hadn't rehearsed, hadn't reviewed the visuals and slides, hadn't been fully briefed on the plans, and didn't even know that the prototype didn't have the armor glass installed.

What? The Mach E showed a decent exterior with a beautiful interior. We didn't even see the interior of the cybertruck. No one cares, except drug lords, if the glass is unbreakable.
The Mach E is a car most people would buy. The Cybertruck is only for extreme niche fanboys. Go read Reddit Tesla subreddits or Twitter, the majority hate this vehicle.
I would have to disagree and say that I care. If that huge piece of glass in the front would stand up to rocks I damaged it would be worth it. Now let’s get that glass on all Tesla’s.

To me it looked like Elon just got off the helicopter from Space X HQ 5 minutes late and walked onto the stage, hadn't read the cue cards in advance, hadn't rehearsed, hadn't reviewed the visuals and slides, hadn't been fully briefed on the plans, and didn't even know that the prototype didn't have the armor glass installed.
That’s about how Elon looks at every presentation. Not a solid public speaker. Very awkward.

Purporting to have a $40K version will slow down the competition who will have to react. Even if they never sell a single unit, the market cap of Rivian was just cut in half with that news.
Considering Tesla's track record at realizing projected price points, I suspect Rivian is not worried. In fact they're probably celebrating today because they're competing with the big sellers in the truck market and Tesla clearly is not. They seem to be going for 911 owners who want a fairly unusable bed and perhaps protection from 9 mm bullets.

Considering Tesla's track record at realizing projected price points, I suspect Rivian is not worried. In fact they're probably celebrating today because they're competing with the big sellers in the truck market and Tesla clearly is not. They seem to be going for 911 owners who want a fairly unusable bed and perhaps protection from 9 mm bullets.
Last night Tesla just obsoleted every other truck out there. The cracked window was a stroke of genius (perhaps accidental genius) because now everyone is talking about it. And remember in any other truck the ball would have gone through the window and hit the occupants. Had the window not cracked, everyone would have just thought ho-hum, or worse thought rigged.

In the long run, knee-jerk reactions at actually seeing something different are not important.

...unusable bed...

I don't see why CyberTrunk's bed is unusable since its size is 6.5 feet which is the same as F-150's bed size.

Let's compare that to Rivian's bed that is 4.5 feet!

Most likely, Rivian bed cover would be manual and extra but I like much better the powered retractable CyberTruck Tonneau Cover that so seamlessly blends into the design.

...9 mm bullets.

Just like any specs MPG, Rated Miles... I would expect it to be shopping cart ding resistance for the spec of 9mm bullet proof :)

But that's still decent!

Last night Tesla just obsoleted every other truck out there. The cracked window was a stroke of genius (perhaps accidental genius) because now everyone is talking about it. And remember in any other truck the ball would have gone through the window and hit the occupants. Had the window not cracked, everyone would have just thought ho-hum, or worse thought rigged.

In the long run, knee-jerk reactions at actually seeing something different are not important.
Until last night I didn't even realize that being struck by a projectile through the side window was a top concern of truck owners.

Until last night I didn't even realize that being struck by a projectile through the side window was a top concern of truck owners.
I've had rocks thrown up by vehicles going the other way that smashed the driver's window and sprayed glass all over me. Sure, it's not the most common occurrence, but it does happen. One time it was a torn off rear view mirror. Also, and more common, it means the Cybertruck will be much harder for thieves to break into.

That was my guess, a lot of the presentation seemed disjointed as though they weren't on the same page. My thought is someone didn't expect them to do that, though the drop test was it and didn't install the correct glass on the truck...

They really need to spend some money on people to clean up these presentations especially as they become more mainstream. You want people to watch these and have confidence in the brand, instead of wondering if this was such a mess what is the vehicle going to be like.

Franz came back on stage to do something, it is not that he was lingering around and randomly grabbed the ball. Whatever they thought they were doing, it was planned.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Franz came back on stage to do something, it is not that he was lingering around and randomly grabbed the ball. Whatever they thought they were doing, it was planned.
However, things can be planned months, weeks, days, hours, or minutes in advance. Elon has since tweeted that they were throwing the same ball at the same truck just prior to the event and it didn't damage the window.... though that could be damage control who knows.

I don't have the money for an armored vehicle but if that feature is included, I wouldn't refuse at all.

There are about 50,000 road debris accidents annually.

Flying debris does happen on highways more often than I would wish.

ows_144460407280650.jpg

You must not watch all those news videos of tree branches, road projectiles from other vehicles, rock slides, deer, and kids tossing things off overpasses, all doing not only damage to the car but many times killing the driver or passenger.

From what I recall of the Semi reveal, one of the features truckers liked of the Tesla Semi was that the windshield was made of unbreakable material. Thought I heard it was a requested feature among the truckers that were part of the group Tesla was working with as they designed it. I had no idea that broken windows for them was an issue, but apparently was and a costly one too.

...didn't have the armor glass installed.

In some movies, bulletproof glass still look intact and beautiful after being shot at.

In real life, the point of armor glass is to protect its occupants and not to protect the beauty of the glass itself.

However, after the demo of dropping the ball on the glass and it still looks beautiful with absolute no crack, people have mistaken that protecting the beauty of is the purpose of armor glass.

The beauty of the glass is to be sacrificed in the name of its occupants.

I don't know. The cost savings and additional power and range for almost half the cost plus the additional body features of the vehicle especially for off roading, might end up being very attractive to a large group of their customers. More funds to spend elsewhere. I think the Rivian pickup is a nice design, more traditional without exception, although there are parts of it I really don't like (like the front, think it's fugly). Having seen some of the "camping" features of the CyberTruck I think it can compare quite favorably feature wise and better on cost etc.

I have to say I kind of thought so too. I didn't think Elon looked upset and remembering him joking about it which seemed kind of easy and off the cuff. Both he and Franz were kind of laughing before it happened and Franz even asked him twice I think do you really want me to do it, and both took it all in stride so I was kind of thinking it was more of a talking point. Heck we saw how the metal ball dropped straight on the pane they had for demo purposes didn't affect it so they had already shown they had material that could hold up well. The broken glass and twice, like why do it again?, just served as a talking point for everyone. Tesla does get sales by word of mouth and I'm sure way more eyes were on the reveal and test drives as a result of that window incident. Hardest part is getting someone to devote the time to watch these things.

I don't have the money for an armored vehicle but if that feature is included, I wouldn't refuse at all.

There are about 50,000 road debris accidents annually.

Flying debris does happen on highways more often than I would wish.
How often does the debris hit the the driver or passenger side windows? Much safer having a way to get in or out when the doors are disabled than having little bit of bullet resistance when your drug deal goes bad.