Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Forget the truck (please), can we talk about that trainwreck of a reveal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's on the web:

09_Desktop.jpg
Surprised they got the cararra marble dash in there for under $40k

What? The Mach E showed a decent exterior with a beautiful interior. We didn't even see the interior of the cybertruck. No one cares, except drug lords, if the glass is unbreakable.
The Mach E is a car most people would buy. The Cybertruck is only for extreme niche fanboys. Go read Reddit Tesla subreddits or Twitter, the majority hate this vehicle.
Who cares what other people think. It has some serious towing capacity, but Im waiting to see a solution to charging it while having a trailer hooked up?

I've watched every product reveal Tesla has ever had, been a Model S owner for 5 years, and an enthusiastic ambassador of the brand. But that had to be the single worst product reveal I have ever seen. Elon has never been accused of being a gifted public speaker, but tonight sets new standards for inarticulateness. From the awkward pauses for cheering that never happened, to Elon's incomprehensible commentary, to the bizarre S&M themed glass demonstration, to the epic fail of a glass shatter test that will live in infamy, to the truck itself which can best be described as the Aztek's less attractive cousin.

Wow. That presentation will be shown in marketing classes for decades as what not to do at a product launch. Now might be a good time to debadge my model S.

Hey, while I agree with your sentiments, if you look at the other live streams, people were actually cheering and applauding on most things. That audio just isn't captured on the main live stream (because many were also shouting chants when Elon talking too and it wouldn't make a better video). And yea, besides that, I think Elon felt very upset about the glass cracking and presenting in front of a cracked car, so as he tries to gather himself he just wanted to wrap things up quickly - I think that's why no showing of interior and almost forgetting ATV.

Can they not put some senior event marketing folks in charge of this stuff? Elon has shown several times that he really can't do these live presentations ad hoc, but it seems he spends no time rehearsing. He had practically no idea what slide was coming up next and flubbed his lines while ad libbing on stage, which he isn't good at. If Apple can do what they do, surely Tesla could too.

He got worse after the broken windows. Elon was really upset by it.

I'm wondering if someone fitted that prototype unit with regular auto glass and they neglected to tell Elon.

Not possible. Automotive side glass completely shatters when its structural integrity is compromised, unlike a laminated automotive windshield. The CyberTruck side windows stayed intact, as they are laminated.

Nothing about that moment makes any sense. Had the glass not cracked, the ball would have likely just bounced back to hit the first row of audience in the face... That would have made for some awesome headlines also.

Incorrect. The steel ball has too much mass to "bounce back" into the audience. The most it would have done is fell onto the stage and roll off. The same reason the steel ball barely bounced even when dropped from high up over the test sheet.

with the sloped sides will it be able to tow a fifth wheel? Would also like train weight info.

Nope. Looks like it will only be suited for a travel trailer.

Not possible. Automotive side glass completely shatters when its structural integrity is compromised, unlike a laminated automotive windshield. The CyberTruck side windows stayed intact, as they are laminated.

Incorrect. The steel ball has too much mass to "bounce back" into the audience. The most it would have done is fell onto the stage and roll off. The same reason the steel ball barely bounced even when dropped from high up over the test sheet.

Nope. Looks like it will only be suited for a travel trailer.

Well, aren't we all rainbows and sunshine? I happen to disagree with two of your three assertions, but I won't disclose which ones because... I don't wanna.