Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Forgive me, but a really stupid question about front license plate screws

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my permanent plates today and when I went to put the front plate on, I realized Tesla didn't put screws into the front license plate holder. I tried to cannibalize two screws from the rear plate, but the screw size was too big for the hole. Anyone happen to know the screw size I need for the front plate bracket? If I try to get them from Tesla, I assume I'll be waiting a long time.

Thanks!

I don't know off the top of my head. May I suggest
(1) getting a good ruler
(2) measuring the socket for the screw,
(3) going to Home Depot or Lowes and buying screws which match the size you measured
(4) testing the screws in the parking lot
(5) if they are the wrong size, returning them and getting new ones on the spot
(6) until you have the right size

Got my permanent plates today and when I went to put the front plate on, I realized Tesla didn't put screws into the front license plate holder. I tried to cannibalize two screws from the rear plate, but the screw size was too big for the hole. Anyone happen to know the screw size I need for the front plate bracket? If I try to get them from Tesla, I assume I'll be waiting a long time.
Was the front plate holder pre-installed? If not, there should have been a little plastic bag with the screws taped to the holder.

Reactions: srs5694
Mine were missing as well. I used stainless #10 from Lowe’s or Home Depot. They need to be really short. I think 3/8” so they don’t go into the front bumper on the top. This way the holder can be removed without damage to bumper if needed. Holder is just double side tape to bumper.

Mine were missing as well. I used stainless #10 from Lowe’s or Home Depot. They need to be really short. I think 3/8” so they don’t go into the front bumper on the top. This way the holder can be removed without damage to bumper if needed. Holder is just double side tape to bumper.
Thanks! Will give it a try!! Right now, the front plate is on the passenger seat in case I get pulled over....

Thanks!
I guess they are still making this mistake. I received my car a year ago and they forgot to include the bag of screws. I contacted them and they sent a mobile service vehicle to my house to give me the screws and offered to install the plate for me.

Stretch2727 had the right answer. Went to the local hardware store and got 4 #10 1/2 inch screws. Worked perfectly for my front license plate. I used sheet metal screws at the recommendation of the store owner. Seemed to bite well into the plastic. Would've loved for a mobile ranger to come here but I suspect everyone is busy pushing new cars out the door given that the June fiscal quarter ends in two weeks.

Was the front plate holder pre-installed? If not, there should have been a little plastic bag with the screws taped to the holder.

Mine came with such a bag of screws, but it was easy to overlook, so it's worth double-checking. (Check your trash if you've thrown out packing materials.) My delivery person made a point of checking that the screws were present. Also, when I installed my plates, I mistakenly assumed that the front and rear plates used the same screws, and I got it wrong. The screws for the front bracket seemed to hold the plate in the rear bracket, but not vice-versa. As I recall, the overall screw sizes were pretty similar, but the thread pitch was different.

Thanks!
I went back to the SC and they gave me the screws. There is supposed to be a pack of the in the bag with the license plate holder.