Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Forgive me Elon for I have sinned! (HUD rough in)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a spare GPS enabled HUD display sitting around (for my other car) and decided to rough it into the Model 3. It's an Amazon special cheapy unit, about $30, that only needs USB power to run.

Been using it for 2 days and haven't decided if it'll stay or I'll just remove it. From my experience, I'm using the HUD more than the center console speedo. Problem is I'm also not monitoring other info from the center console (I.e. regen, other cars, energy usage, etc.)

Both images are without any windshield reflector installed. First image is mounted closer to the windshield/lower on field of view, second image is mounted further from the windshield/higher in field of

Opinions?

pic3.jpg
pic4.jpg

How clear is the text on the windshield? It does look good but from the pics I can't tell if it's properly "in focus".

Can you post some details on the product?

I also used to love the hub in my previous ICE car and wish I had one in the S.

• Disagree
Reactions: PhilDavid
The image is reasonably bright, can see during the day but will have problems in super sunny light or against white backgrounds (I.e. delivery vans). As for clarity, the image is surprisingly clear, it does have some shadowing/doubling from the windshield but I've been able to see it at a glance, including reading the letters in KPH/MPH on the bottom right side. Real-life is closer to the top picture in my garage, than the bottom one.

I picked up the iKiKin M7 from Amazon but I believe any GPS HUD will do. I recommend you get a unit that routes the power cable to the front. I was able to then run the power across the front windshield spacing, to the driver side, hiding it behind panel gaps and under the steering column finally plugging into the USB power. I am planning to add a switch to power it off.

https://www.amazon.com/iKiKin-Displ...ld=1&keywords=iKiKin+M7&qid=1585594102&sr=8-1

P.S. the unit takes 10-30 seconds to acquire GPS in the morning.

Reactions: adhoc
I have the AutoMate app, 99c a year. One of the screens is a HUD. You put your phone on the dash and it reflects off your windshield. I tried it, and it works fine, very clear, if that's what you want. You would need to install something to hold your iPhone in place, as well as charge. I know Xvida sells a magnetic Qi charger that would work.

I'm really surprised I haven't seen more of this for the 3. A nice-looking (or at least unobtrusive), solar-powered or recharged device should be cheap and easy to make and install.
I saw a Hudway Model 3 version last year on Kickstarter. It's custom fit to the dash. Just did a search:
HUDWAY Drive Tesla Model 3 & Y Edition

It had an interesting IR cam that picked up heat signatures of deer, etc. Cost $1000!!! and you had to install it behind the front bumper cover. Now, that was interesting because I live in deer country, but way too expensive.

Reactions: flyingowl
...until the first time it helps you avoid hitting a deer, depending on deductible.
Yes, good point. I did hit a deer a couple years ago in my Chevy Volt. That cost $3600, and my deductible was $500. Having said that, I've driven over 20 years on these roads and hit a deer twice, so one on average every 10 years. Seems to me that $500 deductible is less than the $1000 for the camera, and that's only if I keep the Tesla with IR camera for 10 years. And, if the camera actually saves me from hitting a deer. The deer that hit my Volt popped up from behind a snowbank in daytime, and ran into the side of my car hitting both of my passenger doors, even though I braked and swerved a whole lane. Just seemed like the deer had a magnetic attraction to the car. I know the IR cam would not have helped in that situation.

Yes, good point. I did hit a deer a couple years ago in my Chevy Volt. That cost $3600, and my deductible was $500. Having said that, I've driven over 20 years on these roads and hit a deer twice, so one on average every 10 years. Seems to me that $500 deductible is less than the $1000 for the camera, and that's only if I keep the Tesla with IR camera for 10 years. And, if the camera actually saves me from hitting a deer. The deer that hit my Volt popped up from behind a snowbank in daytime, and ran into the side of my car hitting both of my passenger doors, even though I braked and swerved a whole lane. Just seemed like the deer had a magnetic attraction to the car. I know the IR cam would not have helped in that situation.
Yeah, I'm not sure how it all washes out. I've heard that you're not supposed to take much evasive action, just brake as much as is safe. Swerving is more dangerous overall than hitting the thing, or so they say. Still, more info would be better i would think.
I don't have much personal experience. One time I thought it was odd at night that a reflective traffic sign just went dark and then it was, like "ELK!". I only saw legs and I don't know how I missed it. Some IR would have been nice.

I saw a Hudway Model 3 version last year on Kickstarter. It's custom fit to the dash. Just did a search:
HUDWAY Drive Tesla Model 3 & Y Edition

It had an interesting IR cam that picked up heat signatures of deer, etc. Cost $1000!!! and you had to install it behind the front bumper cover. Now, that was interesting because I live in deer country, but way too expensive.
I was eyeing that same unit for awhile but they kept pushing back the release date. That was like a year ago. It’s still not released yet. I don’t need the night vision add-on though. Base unit only cost $200 so not too steep. I like that you can mirror other apps on the screen.

The image is reasonably bright, can see during the day but will have problems in super sunny light or against white backgrounds (I.e. delivery vans). As for clarity, the image is surprisingly clear, it does have some shadowing/doubling from the windshield but I've been able to see it at a glance, including reading the letters in KPH/MPH on the bottom right side. Real-life is closer to the top picture in my garage, than the bottom one.

I picked up the iKiKin M7 from Amazon but I believe any GPS HUD will do. I recommend you get a unit that routes the power cable to the front. I was able to then run the power across the front windshield spacing, to the driver side, hiding it behind panel gaps and under the steering column finally plugging into the USB power. I am planning to add a switch to power it off.

https://www.amazon.com/iKiKin-Displ...ld=1&keywords=iKiKin+M7&qid=1585594102&sr=8-1

P.S. the unit takes 10-30 seconds to acquire GPS in the morning.

what is the colored strip below the digital speed read out?

the amazon link mentions OBD II connection, is that a problem w/model 3?

Yeah, I'm not sure how it all washes out. I've heard that you're not supposed to take much evasive action, just brake as much as is safe. Swerving is more dangerous overall than hitting the thing, or so they say. Still, more info would be better i would think.
I don't have much personal experience. One time I thought it was odd at night that a reflective traffic sign just went dark and then it was, like "ELK!". I only saw legs and I don't know how I missed it. Some IR would have been nice.
No one around me, it was Winter, daytime. I braked from 45mph, but since no one was in the opposing lane, I swerved away from the direction of the deer, into that lane. Still, the deer ran into my passenger door. If I hadn't braked, I would have passed it easily. Slowing allowed it to run into my side. Probably had spongy brain disease, prions. Don't know why it just kept running at me.

I was eyeing that same unit for awhile but they kept pushing back the release date. That was like a year ago. It’s still not released yet. I don’t need the night vision add-on though. Base unit only cost $200 so not too steep. I like that you can mirror other apps on the screen.
LOL, I didn't actually read the webpage. I just assumed it must be out by now!

what is the colored strip below the digital speed read out?

the amazon link mentions OBD II connection, is that a problem w/model 3?

The colored strip fills in based on % speed to maximum (I.e. 55MPH), I was going over the maximum. Don't need OBD connector as the unit also supports GPS only operation with USB power. There should be a bunch of different options if you search for "HUD GPS speedometer" on Amazon.

The Stats developer just released a HUD app, called SuperHUD, on your iPhone. I think it shows speed, acceleration, and heading. Only $3. You still need a mount for your phone. Looks pretty interesting.

IMG_5567.jpg

The image is blurry, cause it was a snapshot of a gif. Looks better in the app store.

Last edited: