Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Forgot How Much I Miss Waypoints

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

swaltner

Oct 13, 2012
Kansas, USA
NoI went for a drive in the Atom yesterday. I was going somewhere I hadn’t been before, so drug out the Zumo 550 that I purchased in 2007. The Zumo series is designed for motorcycles (waterproof, large buttons in the UI), so works good in the Atom. I even found a custom icon to load in the GPS to display the vehicle on-screen as an Atom and not a regular car. I realized I needed gas, so found the local Sam’s Club which was on the way and was shocked when the Zumo prompted me to add it as a waypoint or a new destination.

With 3 years of using the Nav in the Tesla, I had basically forgotten this was a feature from a decade ago and laughed out loud when this long-since abandoned GPS gave me the prompt, I was already just planning on picking the real destination out of the recent history after I had stopped for gas.

No real point to this thread other than, I miss waypoints and would like them on the Tesla. Having said that, I’ve gotten acclimated to just picking my real destination from the recent searches to make due with not having waypoints..

Not having way points is a ridiculous oversight on Tesla's part. For such an advanced car it's kind of stupid that it doesn't have what's considered common features in navigation from over a decade ago. Every time Elon has been asked about it he has some pie in the sky comment about how the plan is to have the car just intuitively know where you want to go so that you don't have to enter any destination, let alone waypoints. This has been his response for years and we're still decades away from that being a reality. In the meantime, there's no way that my car could have known that I wanted to drive to the in-laws house last weekend in Nebraska and stop at a specific convenience store along the way for energy drinks and snacks. It's idiotic to think that somehow AI is going to replace the ability to manually enter waypoints in our lifetime. This is a stupid place for anybody to die on a hill over when they could easily just integrate it especially considering how important navigation is for plotting supercharger stops and whatnot during longer trips.

Reactions: orion2001
100% agreed. My commute involves 3 drop-offs, and if I want to use navigation, I have to stop and select a new destination every time I drop someone off. It's not terrible, but 4 interactions each way, or 8 interactions total with the navigation seems quite manual for a car that can drive itself. Sure, some AI should be able to figure this out within a few days of me driving this way, but waypoints would've allowed me to input this manually in under 3 minutes, and that would've been a one-shot deal.

When I try to drive to London, Ontario from Manitoba, it tries to take me through the CAN/US border (not allowed, but it is shorter) and it can't figure out how to go the Canadian route unless I use two waypoints. Certainly not a leading edge Nav system. Oh, the US route also requires a passport.

Elon is next level clever - but he often misses things that normal people need.
Making a journey using the nav without waypoints is ridiculous.
His solution is to constantly change the destination to each "waypoint" - but he misses that the nav can't then give accurate range estimates because it doesn't know where you eventual destination is.
Basically we can't road trip using the nav unless we only want to go the way the nav wants.

This is my biggest concern with FSD - assuming it ever releases

I had given up hope, but just maybe we’ll get them in the future.
Considering the number of things that are supposedly on their roadmap that have not yet been released, it is hard to have any optimism about waypoints happening just because of this. He also tweeted a year ago that they would do Waypoints after being pestered by a few "influential" Twitter accounts about it.

Lack of waypoints is something I just can't understand. It's like someone who is only ever chauffeured around in a car decided that he should be in charge of deciding what the majority of customers who don't rely on chauffeurs want out of the driving/nav experience.