Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Forgot my key today...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My keys were hanging on a hook about 3 ft away outside the car (to the side) . FYI
You'll want to change that. The fob and the car will talk to each other constantly, draining your fob battery. Either find a place further away or put the fob in some shielded container -- I think a steel can (lined with fabric) would do the RF shielding sufficiently.

I don't have my MS yet so I can't test how sensitive the car is, but if it will start with the key outside the vehicle that's a major flaw.

Agree. What if you have the key in your pocket (I always have it in my pocket) and you let some stranger who is interested in the Model S sit in the driver seat (I know some owners/enthausiasts would allow this). They could put the car in drive and take off without you!

I had always assumed the key would need to be in the car, and the driver in the chair in order to be able to drive away.

I was thinking about removing the battery from my second key fob and hiding the fob and key somewhere inside my car.

If I ever lost my active fob, had a fob failure or had a situation such as yours, I could unlock my car using the mobile app, retrieve the battery and spare key and all would be well.

I would caution you against that for one reason, car insurance companies won't cover a stolen car if there was a spare key inside. I had friends go through this recently and luckily the car company covered it due to a technicality. The key to his significant other's car was in the glove box of his car. Someone broke into his car to steal something he left out, found the key fob, and took the other car for a joy ride.

I was thinking about removing the battery from my second key fob and hiding the fob and key somewhere inside my car.

If I ever lost my active fob, had a fob failure or had a situation such as yours, I could unlock my car using the mobile app, retrieve the battery and spare key and all would be well.
The vehicle will not remain locked. Try leaving on fob inside and lock it with the other fob. Come back later and tap on the door handles. They may extend out letting you into the vehicle.

Please let us know how this works. I'm having more and more senior moments lately. If it works I think it's a good solution for me.

This works. I removed the battery from my second fob and put battery and key in an envelope. I approached my car with an active fob in my pocket and the doors unlocked, no surprise there.

I placed the envelope containing the unpowered fob in the backseat and walked away from the car.

The car locked as usual and I could not open the door without having my active fob with me. Works with the envelope in the glove box as well.

Interesting note, At first I tried to unlock the car with the unpowered fob but I could not find the "special spot" near the passenger wiper that is supposed to sense the key in the event of a battery failure.

I'm thinking of putting some sort of locking door in my frunk to close off the "microwave". I could use the holes used by the frunk net holder to mount screws. The lack of locking space in the Model is bothers me. I'd like to have a place to lock up valuables. Might not hold out against a serious prying attempt but it's better than nothing. If I put a combo lock in this compartment, I could lock my unpowered fob in there.

I'm thinking of putting some sort of locking door in my frunk to close off the "microwave". I could use the holes used by the frunk net holder to mount screws. The lack of locking space in the Model is bothers me. I'd like to have a place to lock up valuables. Might not hold out against a serious prying attempt but it's better than nothing. If I put a combo lock in this compartment, I could lock my unpowered fob in there.

You could always throw one of these in there... :)

http://www.primarysafes.com/Home-Safes/LockState-LS-LC-30J-Dial-Fireproof-Safe.asp?aff=5114

Of course it weighs 62 pounds, and is removable...

Interesting note, At first I tried to unlock the car with the unpowered fob but I could not find the "special spot" near the passenger wiper that is supposed to sense the key in the event of a battery failure.

I think that trick still requires some battery power to work. (i.e. a very weak battery that can't transmit very far, but still strong enough if you put it very close to the receiver).

- - - Updated - - -

This works. I removed the battery from my second fob and put battery and key in an envelope.

Problem is, what do you do if you lose your primary key? I like to keep the second key in the house where I can get it if I need it, or someone can bring it to me.

Problem is, what do you do if you lose your primary key? I like to keep the second key in the house where I can get it if I need it, or someone can bring it to me.

If I lost primary key I'd unlock the car with the mobile app and be able to get to the secondary fob and battery. Use that until you can order another replacement fob. No need to have someone get the spare from home and deliver it to you.

It seems like the ideal solution would be to allow you to type in a driver created password on the touch screen that would power up the car without the FOB. To make it extra secure you could use two-factor authentication. First you'd have to call to give an operator your tesla account access code - which would allow them to unlock the car for you and enable fob-less start. You would then have 30 minutes to go in the car and enter the password that you setup for the car.

If the battery is out of the fob that long, won't it "forget" its programming?

I'd imagine that the programming information is stored in a piece of non-volatile memory. So as long as the memory doesn't get corrupted (and it shouldn't, because they are using automotive qualified electronics parts that have higher standards), it doesn't matter whether it's powered or not.