Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Forgot my key today...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes and no. There are emergency positions where the unpowered key will be recognized.

Brian,

I think that there is a position for an UNDERPOWERED fob to still operate (near the passenger windshield, but I don't think the fob has a method for powering itself with no battery power. My understanding was that the special location was just as close to the antenna as you could get and maximized the chances of a successful communication even at very low power... FWIW

proximity sensors for the Home Link allow car to be opened without the key?

I had another twist on this in the reverse and figured rekindling this thread was better than starting a new thread...
My car is parked in my secure garage. Sometimes I go there to retrieve something out of it. In all my other cars, the doors are left unlocked in my garage so I can simply open the door & retrieve away. With my Model S I have to have the key on me to open the doors. Since the car knows that it is in the garage (proximity sensors for the Home Link) I wonder if there could be a future software upgrade that allows the Model S to be open-able (maybe just tap on the retracted door handle) even if you don't have the key with you? Either that or have carrerascott install that magic hook that he mentioned in one of his 1st posts :wink:

I don't think that this is such an easy fix. If they set the software such that if the car doesn't sense the battery after being turned on, then you will get many situations where in legitimate circumstances when a driver has the key in the car but the battery is weak, the car will stop which is not a good situation. All other keyless cars that I've owned have worked the same way.

1) Key must be present in the vehicle to start
2) once started, the car will continue to run but will warn you if it does not sense the key.

This seems to work well and should be how the Tesla should work. Can anyone confirm that the car doesn't warn you if the key is not in the car? It seems to me that my car does warn me, but I haven't tested this specifically.

Warning would be nice, but def. one concern is that someone can START the car and drive off while the fob is OUTSIDE of the car. I just confirmed this by walking in the garage and, keeping the key away from the car about 1 foot (put it on a stool near the car), opened the door, sat in the car, and started driving.

No warning.

Troubling, as even my old 2006 Prius could tell if the fob was inside the car. Heck, the could be in the trunk and it could start. However, if there was no key in the car, it wouldn't start (or would warn that the key was away from the car if I had started the car and walked away with the key).

I agree the car should not shut off once it is started with the key in the car if it somehow loses connection with the key, but should throw up a warning.

I seriously doubt this is beyond the engineering talents of Tesla's engineering team. Someone just needs to diagram the logic.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Troubling, as even my old 2006 Prius could tell if the fob was inside the car. Heck, the could be in the trunk and it could start. However, if there was no key in the car, it wouldn't start (or would warn that the key was away from the car if I had started the car and walked away with the key).

The Prius has a transponder at each of the active door handle locations plus one in the dash area. This allows it to triangulate and find the fob's location. The Tesla appears to have only one, or perhaps two, transponders, so it can only measure distance. This appears to be a cost cutting measure.

Brian,

I think that there is a position for an UNDERPOWERED fob to still operate (near the passenger windshield, but I don't think the fob has a method for powering itself with no battery power. My understanding was that the special location was just as close to the antenna as you could get and maximized the chances of a successful communication even at very low power... FWIW

It does - it has an RFID transponder in it to allow it to operate without power. The 2 RFID receivers in the car is close to the windshield on the passenger side, as well as in the cupholder.

My car is parked in my secure garage. Sometimes I go there to retrieve something out of it. In all my other cars, the doors are left unlocked in my garage so I can simply open the door & retrieve away. With my Model S I have to have the key on me to open the doors.
I have the same issue. What I do is unlock the car as I walk away from it (by double pressing the top of the key fob) and place the key inside the home in a convenient location.

Since the car knows that it is in the garage (proximity sensors for the Home Link) I wonder if there could be a future software upgrade that allows the Model S to be open-able
(maybe just tap on the retracted door handle) even if you don't have the key with you?
There are no HomeLink proximity sensors. The HomeLink menu pops up due to the car recognizing the GPS location. But, obviously, the GPS location could be used to leave the doors unlocked.

I have the same issue. What I do is unlock the car as I walk away from it (by double pressing the top of the key fob) and place the key inside the home in a convenient location.

There are no HomeLink proximity sensors. The HomeLink menu pops up due to the car recognizing the GPS location. But, obviously, the GPS location could be used to leave the doors unlocked.

This would be a nice option, although I'm sure many people would not necessarily feel comfortable with their car unlocked all the time, even at home.

The app let's you access the car?

- - - Updated - - -

Found it. Another reason this car IS the future.

App doesn't let you start the car, so doesn't address the forgetting your keys and driving away.

The Prius has a transponder at each of the active door handle locations plus one in the dash area. This allows it to triangulate and find the fob's location. The Tesla appears to have only one, or perhaps two, transponders, so it can only measure distance. This appears to be a cost cutting measure.

Haha. Sad. Let's hope this isn't a big deal.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

And it stays unlocked? I thought that after a certain amount of time it will lock. Don't the door handles get sucked in so how would you get into your car, in your garage without the key?

- - - Updated - - -

This would be a nice option, although I'm sure many people would not necessarily feel comfortable with their car unlocked all the time, even at home.
That's why they call 'em "options." You'd have a toggle option to not change the current settings; I'd even be in favor of letting the default settings be the current ones and you'd have to over ride to have the "DrTaras" option :wink:

And it stays unlocked? I thought that after a certain amount of time it will lock. Don't the door handles get sucked in so how would you get into your car, in your garage without the key?

Mine locks after a few seconds as long as I'm not standing right by it with the fob. If I am then the handles retract but the car stays unlocked until I walk away. Handles retracting appear to be time based, locking is distance based.

Mine locks after a few seconds as long as I'm not standing right by it with the fob. If I am then the handles retract but the car stays unlocked until I walk away. Handles retracting appear to be time based, locking is distance based.

If the handles are retracted, you can just press one to get them out again (assuming the car is actually unlocked or the key is close).

This happened to me this morning. One key was inside a metal box in the garage, other key was 20ft+ away. I realized I had forgotten the key just as I sat down, but the car turned on anyway... try to put it in drive.. yup goes into drive. Drove about 40ft down the driveway, still no complaint from the car!! WTF?

I was thinking about removing the battery from my second key fob and hiding the fob and key somewhere inside my car.

If I ever lost my active fob, had a fob failure or had a situation such as yours, I could unlock my car using the mobile app, retrieve the battery and spare key and all would be well.

Love this idea.

I borrowed a Model S about a year ago & drove off with the key fob still in the other person's pocket. I was halfway home (140 miles) when I realized ... no fob. I spent the next 70 miles wishing I hadn't had those last two cups of coffee. :) Good news was they could start the car remotely and also fedex'd the fob to me immediately.

Easy to forget. But I wouldn't like to see the constraints being suggested here.

Yeah, Tesla needs to improve key sensing behavior.

1. It should chime at you when a key is not detected and the vehicle is in drive.

2. It should not allow the car to lock when a key is inside and the car is off. Several folks have reported unknowingly misplacing their key, walking away, and returning only to find they are locked out. Luckily, the iPhone app comes to the rescue provided that you are within coverage.

Yeah, Tesla needs to improve key sensing behavior.

1. It should chime at you when a key is not detected and the vehicle is in drive.

2. It should not allow the car to lock when a key is inside and the car is off. Several folks have reported unknowingly misplacing their key, walking away, and returning only to find they are locked out. Luckily, the iPhone app comes to the rescue provided that you are within coverage.

The problem is it can't seem to distinguish whether the key is "inside" or "outside". It only seems to be able to determine if it can see the key or not.

Similar to @GasDoc, I keep a spare battery in the car (but not a spare fob). I figure if my fob battery dies, I can still get in the car with my phone app, then swap out my fob battery once inside. This does not solve a lost or broken fob but (knock on wood) that hasn't happened to me on any of my fob-equipped cars yet!