Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Forgot my key today...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The problem is it can't seem to distinguish whether the key is "inside" or "outside". It only seems to be able to determine if it can see the key or not.

Similar to @GasDoc, I keep a spare battery in the car (but not a spare fob). I figure if my fob battery dies, I can still get in the car with my phone app, then swap out my fob battery once inside. This does not solve a lost or broken fob but (knock on wood) that hasn't happened to me on any of my fob-equipped cars yet!

My older 2013 knows inside from outside for sure. I was doing my headlight swap the other day and had my key on the roof above the drivers side door. The car would not allow me to turn it on when I wanted to test my headlights (sit in the seat press the brake). "Key not inside"... grabbed it off the roof and brought it in the car, all of maybe 1 foot from where it was, and it was fine.

Also doesn't the iphone app allow you to drive the car now without the key incase you forget it or lose it?

My older 2013 knows inside from outside for sure. I was doing my headlight swap the other day and had my key on the roof above the drivers side door. The car would not allow me to turn it on when I wanted to test my headlights (sit in the seat press the brake). "Key not inside"... grabbed it off the roof and brought it in the car, all of maybe 1 foot from where it was, and it was fine.

That's weird, and different from my early 2013. I once left my key on the workbench in my garage and was able to get in and back the car out to the driveway (unintended... I thought the key was in my pocket). As I backed out of the garage, I did get the "key no longer in car" message on the dash. That was a while ago. I wonder if newer firmware has changed this behavior? Will have to re-test.

Also doesn't the iphone app allow you to drive the car now without the key incase you forget it or lose it?
My bet is that it doesn't know inside from outside, but rather couldnt' see the key at all, possibly it was in a small dead spot, or some other interference was causing issues.

Pinging for the keyfob constantly is undesirable from a developer perspective, but it seems they could use the GPS to their advantage. After the car is started, as soon as the GPS location indicates the car has moved X distance from it's starting point, it could do a single ping of the keyfob and throw up a warning or whatever if it's not detected. No further pings required.

I would suspect it is range on the Model S from more than one sensor? Do you think it triangulates? I bet this is a programming issue that isn't high on the list yet, it may have been disabled for other reason and not yet tested to put back.

I've had my Fusion refuse to unlock with my fob in an opposite the door pocket and a briefcase between it and the door, doing a little twist got it to open. When I step out to get mail and the car is running as soon as the door shuts it honks twice and pops a no key message.

So I've gotten in the habit now of only it in the right front pocket. Ford has the powered down FOB pocket inside the center console, so I also assume it has an RFID chip as well.

Yes, the iPhone app allows you to drive the car without the key. I have used it several times when I forgot my key at my desk and went down to drive away at lunch. Works like a charm.

That's weird, and different from my early 2013. I once left my key on the workbench in my garage and was able to get in and back the car out to the driveway (unintended... I thought the key was in my pocket). As I backed out of the garage, I did get the "key no longer in car" message on the dash. That was a while ago. I wonder if newer firmware has changed this behavior? Will have to re-test.

My early 2013 car used to not know if the key is inside or out, but after a FW update back in mid 2014, that changed. I know, because if I just pop open a door and try to roll the window up or down, it doesn't respond anymore. I have to hold the key just inside the door opening before it'll work. This works with the front or rear doors.