Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Forgot to connect the charger!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I searched but didn't find anything on the subject - this week (I knew it would happen sooner or later), my wife forgot to connect to the charger when she got home. We didn't notice until the next morning.

It would be great if the app could be set to notify if the car isn't charging at a preset hour. If it's on the road at that time, an alternate time setting for the notification could be used. Any interest in this?

Mitch

It would be cool if the app could do a bunch more things, especially the android app. For now though, it might help you to set a regular reminder in your phone. Like every night at 6pm or whatever your phone beeps to remind you to check the Tesla app and make sure it's charging.

However, I imagine this is one of those growing pains things and eventually plugging it in will be second nature.

You can set your notifications in the tesla app to send you a notification when the car starts charging and then when it's completed (make them audible)

it it took me 15 months to finally forget to plug in. I don't think it'll happen again when I got up to 3% SOC

"You can set your notifications in the tesla app to send you a notification when the car starts charging and then when it's completed (make them audible) " If it can do this, why can't it send you a notification if, as MitchSF asked, as well? Surely it's just a few extra lines of code? I have also managed to forget to plug in - more than once, in fact - but I've been EVing for 5 years or so now, not in a Tesla tho! MW

whoa is this a real thing or just a concept? ARE WE LIVING IN THE FUTURE!?

Real thing, but will take 25 hours to recharge a Tesla. So it's cool... but not usable (not this specific model at least).

Also, not really a 'futuristic' concept. The first induction devices were built back in 1882... and most people have been using an induction charging toothbrush for the last 20 years or so.

I searched but didn't find anything on the subject - this week (I knew it would happen sooner or later), my wife forgot to connect to the charger when she got home. We didn't notice until the next morning.

Does it matter? Do you drive more than 130 miles every day?

One of the nice things I find with an electric car with a huge battery is it's no big deal to forget to plug in from time to time. Now, if it was a Leaf we were talking about it would be a different story...

Real thing, but will take 25 hours to recharge a Tesla. So it's cool... but not usable (not this specific model at least).

Also, not really a 'futuristic' concept. The first induction devices were built back in 1882... and most people have been using an induction charging toothbrush for the last 20 years or so.

Why is this not usable? It says 30A 240v. At around 20 mi / hr, that's a full recharge in half a day. It would work fine for me at 25 mi / day usage.

Does it matter? Do you drive more than 130 miles every day?

One of the nice things I find with an electric car with a huge battery is it's no big deal to forget to plug in from time to time. Now, if it was a Leaf we were talking about it would be a different story...

The LEAF can be configured to send you a text 5 minutes after you arrive at your house and don't plug in.

Reactions: fallen888
Why is this not usable? It says 30A 240v. At around 20 mi / hr, that's a full recharge in half a day. It would work fine for me at 25 mi / day usage.

30A is just the breaker it needs.

Take a look at the technical specs - not just the landing page. It's a 3.3kW charger. Compare that to a Tesla 40A UMC, which is 7.6kW.

I agree it will work for some people, but it's difficult selling a product if you can't keep the general "it charges overnight" promise. I'm pretty sure Plugless would have approached Tesla by now, and equally sure Tesla sent them away because they don't want to have a model that will only work for some users of the car.

I have seen a post a long time ago (can't find it now) where someone put a switch on the hook that held their charging cable. With the cable on the hook, the switch was activated and this lit a light in the house that indicated not charging. With the cable off the hook, a light lit that said showed charging. Pretty simple and might be a good idea for those who have large daily drives and are in the habit of forgetting to plug in.

P.S. Really glad the Tesla does NOT have inductive charging. Seems it would just add weight, complexity and inefficiency to save 5 -10 seconds per plugin.

I have seen a post a long time ago (can't find it now) where someone put a switch on the hook that held their charging cable. With the cable on the hook, the switch was activated and this lit a light in the house that indicated not charging. With the cable off the hook, a light lit that said showed charging. Pretty simple and might be a good idea for those who have large daily drives and are in the habit of forgetting to plug in.

P.S. Really glad the Tesla does NOT have inductive charging. Seems it would just add weight, complexity and inefficiency to save 5 -10 seconds per plugin.

It certainly encourages laziness. And unless you have 100% solar without ties to the grid, you're also wasting energy which is a cardinal sin, IMO.

What is the efficiency?, it mentions that is 240V 40A which is 9.6KW and the website decided to omit that information but charges to 3.3K, I guess the efficiency is close to 35%. you will end up paying three times electricity to charge at less half rate.