Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Forgot to remove my flash drive before service and...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry to hear that. Did you contact your Service Center and ask for the manager? Maybe they removed it while servicing the vehicle and forgot to put it back in?

I always leave items in my car while it's in for service and I've never had any issues, but of course YMMV. Actually, I just got my car back today from service and everything I left was still there (USB flash drive, dashcam, sunglasses, hat, car charger, jacket, and various tools). In my experience, the service center staff have been nothing but wonderful.

Reactions: msnow
They had the car for like 2 weeks and I can't imagine a good reason to remove the flash drive and I noticed someone had messed with the music and the cup holders and everything. I don't know what they were doing or why they would mess with all that stuff but it stinks. Only takes one guy to look at stuff like that and think I can just take this and no one can say who took it so I'll just grab it.

I did check all over the car for it but there are two ports why remove it and why not leave it in the cubby by the USB ports if they did need to take it out?

Just look at my loss a reminder to take everything out of the car before service.

I’ll report it (along with the new marks drivers’ armrest) but that is why most places have a sign or something in the paperwork that says they are not liable for anything missing from the car. People can just tell them this and that was in the car, you owe me. It’s just insult to injury with the waiting for service, not fixing things and the new damage. :(

I’ll report it (along with the new marks drivers’ armrest) but that is why most places have a sign or something in the paperwork that says they are not liable for anything missing from the car. People can just tell them this and that was in the car, you owe me. It’s just insult to injury with the waiting for service, not fixing things and the new damage. :(

Yeah, report it anyways to the manager in case this has been a trend at that location and could help narrow down whoever is doing it.

I've left my slim USB drive in multiple times with no issues. If it ever did get lost, all the music is on my computer so I'd only be out some time and the cost of another cheap drive. So I'm not terribly worried about it.

My dashcam is new and service unplugged it "per policy" last time the car was in. Weirdly, there wasn't even footage of them getting in the car to unplug it, so I'm curious if they did it so fast a file hadn't been written yet, or if they used the menu to delete the clip. Weird, but not worth worrying about.

I just can't imagine someone risking their job over something so petty. Your average flash drive is not worth it. Most people steal drives for the data that is on them not the hardware itself. Unless you had a waterproof/shockproof 512GB USB 3.0 drive in there for some reason I have to believe that it fell between a seat or is sitting on someones toolbox in the shop.

Reactions: MP3Mike and DDotJ