Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Formatting micro SD card in the car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i forget if you have another thumb drive you can test but if you do, and it also can not format, you should schedule a service call.

The very first line in my OP says: "I am in the middle of a support issue with Tesla." And you call me obtuse. Funny really. ;-)

That is why I asked if other people use USB Devices other than the ones recommended by Tesla and are able to format them in the car so I could forward that information to their engineers. Unfortunately they don't seem too interested to deal with this.

With all due respect, I am not being obtuse. The link you provided shows a number of USB devices that people use. In those 39 pages I have not been able to find if anyone formats what they use in the car.
I reformatted my 256GB Samsung Bar (not a microSD, but a USB drive) to exFAT format. I was able to format it in the car. The drive was named TESLADRIVE and the TeslaCam folder was created. I verified on my computer that it was indeed exFAT.

You’ve had multiple people say they have used unsupported drives and the on-screen drive format function works. There is one caveat that was called out that if you have both a TeslaCam and Music drive attached, disconnect the Music drive to enable the formatting function. What else are you wanting?

if you’re actually demanding the exact part number that someone is using, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BPHML28/ in my Amazon purchase history is shown as the drive I am successfully using

The very first line in my OP says: "I am in the middle of a support issue with Tesla." And you call me obtuse. Funny really. ;-)

That is why I asked if other people use USB Devices other than the ones recommended by Tesla and are able to format them in the car so I could forward that information to their engineers. Unfortunately they don't seem too interested to deal with this.

I'm curious if Tesla support was any help? I have a Samsung MicroSD Pro Endurance card that's inside an Anker microSD to USB adapter. I cannot format inside the Tesla no matter what I try. The option to format is greyed out, and above it keeps saying to insert only one USB device to format, and I have no other USB devices plugged in. I tried formatting again to FAT32, even tried formatting to ExFAT, and still Format USB drive is greyed out. I have a regular Sandisk USB drive which formats fine in the car so I'm wondering if it's some issue with MicroSD cards or the specific Anker USB adapter.

Edit: Solved! I first tried switching out the microSD card and that didn't resolve it. I had another Anker MicroSD usb adapter and that also didn't work. Luckily I found another microSD adapter (just a generic one that came with an old dashcam) and that one works fine and can be formatted in the Tesla. Frustrating but seems like Tesla has some compatibility issues to iron out

Last edited: