Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Formatting SSD for Sentry, Dashcam, and My Music

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had been posting this issue on the wrong forum, the model Y forum. I have a 2023 Model 3 which differs from earlier ones. What I have done disagrees with the current Model 3 Owner's manual's. The manual says you must create separate partitions for Senty, Dashcam, and audio files. I created 3 partitions for Sentry, BoomBox and audio files. When I use the USB Port app in the car, I am presented with 2 USB partition, one for the boombox and one for my audio files. When I selected one of those, it seems to be set as a default. Later when I wanted to play with the boombox, I could no longer be presented with the option to choose the Boombox partition.

In my garage, I powered off the car. When it restarted, I could see the option to choose a particular partition. That is unacceptable to me. So I experimented some more.

First, on my first try formatting my flash drive on the PC, I set one of the partitions to be so small the the format type required, exFAT, was not an option in my Disk Management app. My car did not "see' that partition. If that is your experience, increase the size of the partition until exFAT can be selected.

So in the end I decided to try just two partitions. I loaded my boombox sounds in the Boombox folder and my music. I used Windows Media Player (WMP) which is in the Windows Accessories folder. I ripped CDs. which creates a root folder named after the artist. below the artist folder are folders for each album by that artist. In each album folder there are the songs on the album. I mention that because my car recognized and used that method. When I tested this format opening the USB port app in my car, a list of all of my boombox files were shown along with the following tabs at the top of the list, Songs, Artist, Album, and the final one which lists the songs on a particular album. I'm not certain about the name of the 1st and 4th tabs since each is a list of songs. To pick a certain sound for the boombox, first go to the boombox list by accessing the USP Port app, select a file, then open the toy box app and select the boombox app.

I was quite relieved when I first got it to work. Checking the owner's manual, the USP app isn't even mentioned in the Entertainment section where Toybox and Boobox are discussed. That's why I am uncertain about the USB app where those tabs are.