Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Formatting SSD for Sentry

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a Sandisk Extreme Portable SSD for the Sentry system. The Tesla manual says to format it for FAT32, but that is not an option. I only can format it for NTFS or exFAT. In looking at the stuff I can find, it looks like the exFAT option is best, but looking for some help out there........

I got a Sandisk Extreme Portable SSD for the Sentry system. The Tesla manual says to format it for FAT32, but that is not an option. I only can format it for NTFS or exFAT. In looking at the stuff I can find, it looks like the exFAT option is best, but looking for some help out there........
The Tesla viewer (for Sentry Mode and Dash Cam video) can now format, read exFAT formatted devices. You may want to first format the SSD on your computer for exFAT, then create a folder on the SSD called "TeslaCam". You should then be good to go. If you want you can let the Tesla viewer reformat the SSD as the viewer will also create the needed TeslaCam folder.

Also a word of caution for others reading this thread looking for help. Unplug all other USB drives before using the car's format functionality. Only connect the USB drive you wish to format and use for Sentry mode. Otherwise there is the risk of formatting the wrong USB drive, like a separate drive you may have in there for music for example.

Also a word of caution for others reading this thread looking for help. Unplug all other USB drives before using the car's format functionality. Only connect the USB drive you wish to format and use for Sentry mode. Otherwise there is the risk of formatting the wrong USB drive, like a separate drive you may have in there for music for example.
oh, so files inside that drive regardless it's inside the 'TeslaCam' folder ot not, it can run the risk of complete erase?