Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Formatting USB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm super dumb when it comes to computer stuff. I bought a san disk adapter with a 128MB card. Trying to format it through the car, I went to security and hit format USB. Nothing seemed to happen on the screen. How do I know if the drive is formatted correctly? I doubt it is, so any advice would be helpful.

Thanks

I click the button. It grays out for like 1-2 seconds, and then it comes back to life. I can't believe it works that quickly. I honked the horn to see if it would save, but I have nothing saved, even though the red light on the dashcam is on and I can see the cameras. I know it isn't working properly, but I can't figure it out.

I click the button. It grays out for like 1-2 seconds, and then it comes back to life. I can't believe it works that quickly. I honked the horn to see if it would save, but I have nothing saved, even though the red light on the dashcam is on and I can see the cameras. I know it isn't working properly, but I can't figure it out.
yes same gray out response for me as well, but it is recording for sentry mode for me
definitely following to see what more experienced owners say

I'm super dumb when it comes to computer stuff. I bought a san disk adapter with a 128MB card. Trying to format it through the car, I went to security and hit format USB. Nothing seemed to happen on the screen. How do I know if the drive is formatted correctly? I doubt it is, so any advice would be helpful.

Thanks

Please look at the upper part of your screen for the camera icon. If it's successfully formatted, you can turn on the camera (indicated by a red dot on it).

• Helpful
Reactions: JohnnyEV
Note Dashcam and Sentry are DIFFERENT icons.

Sentry can be on (red dot) even with no storage attached, as Sentry does not record video (though it can move existing dashcam video if it's there).

Dashcam red dot CAN NOT be on if there's no valid USB storage.

(many folks have gotten confused by this, convinced their storage was working fine because the sentry dot was red)

Sentry can be on (red dot) even with no storage attached, as Sentry does not record video (though it can move existing dashcam video if it's there).

(many folks have gotten confused by this, convinced their storage was working fine because the sentry dot was red)
Great points indeed! Thanks

good to know. But how can sentry work without a USB? Where is the footage being saved if it is activated

good to know. But how can sentry work without a USB? Where is the footage being saved if it is activated

It's not.

Sentry doesn't require footage at all. Moving it elsewhere is only one of the several things it does, and if the footage isn't there it still does the rest... (keeping the car awake, flashing the lights/warning message on display if someone gets close, etc)

• Disagree
Reactions: Gasaraki and qman66
If you can tap the camera icon and press "Save dashcam footage" then your USB drive is detected and formatted correctly.

Sentry can also store some limited footage to the internal storage of the car (and will do so if your alarm is triggered while sentry is enabled for example). When it does this the sentry footage will show up in an "Onboard" category in the footage viewer.