Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

former BMW owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife and I had a BMW Z4, a Toyota Highlander, and a BMW X5. We got rid of the Z4 and the Highlander, and bought a Model Y Performance. Zero regrets. And even though we still have the X5, and it’s a great car, it’s never anyone’s first choice to take somewhere. It is now the car you have to take when one of us has already taken the Tesla.

Had an x328i and 528i other than CarPlay and the twin power turbo kick, I really miss nothing. The MYP is quicker and handles better than almost any M or Alpina. I saw an M8 competition next to me, beautiful and specs are impressive and faster on paper but I know my street launch and simple floor stomp will beat his tire spin and he has to hit buttons to activate race mode. Also M2, M3, M4, M5, M6, M7, M8 AMG equivalent doesn’t impress or intimidate me anymore.

I would like to get opinions on people who have had BMWs and made the transition to a tesla. I would like to know if you all have any regrets or do you think you made the right decision. I have had BMWs and I have a long-range model y on order.
I come from BMW (2002tii, 330i, M3, M5, 330is) and NEVER looked back. You will have to adjust to the fact that service is not as nice (no loaners, or communication, attempts to blame everything on you or say "thats normal" "within specs" etc) but then if you dont get a monday car (i did) you wont spend much time in the service area. the basic attitude is once Elon has you money, he dont care about you

Reactions: SQLDevDBA
E83 X3
F07 Gran Turismo
I03 i3 REx
F26 X4 M40i

The refinement and build quality of my BMWs was great, but really the MYP blows them out of the water overall. Getting back into my X4M40i after driving wife’s MYP drove me crazy, so I traded it and got my own.

The only BMW features I miss are the thigh support extensions in the seats, the extremely tight steering (the MYP in sport mode isn’t bad) and the soft close doors (which you can purchase and install from a vendor).
Second person to mention soft close doors! Really surprised at this, I had on my 650 and seemed always to duff the close resulting in a rather sickening thud.

I come from BMW (2002tii, 330i, M3, M5, 330is) and NEVER looked back. You will have to adjust to the fact that service is not as nice (no loaners, or communication, attempts to blame everything on you or say "thats normal" "within specs" etc) but then if you dont get a monday car (i did) you wont spend much time in the service area. the basic attitude is once Elon has you money, he dont care about you
Funny, that's what my BMW dealer has told me repeatedly when I brought the cars in for repairs. I have to make an appointment about a month in advance for a loaner, otherwise no loaner. They don't communicate, and when they do they lie. The BMW dealer told me "that's normal" when my dash vents kept opening and closing over and over again, told me that three different service visits. On the fourth I threatened him, said he would be very sorry if he gave me that same lame excuse again. That time they found that the XM radio module had been mounted in a spot that blocked the flap that redirected the air to different vents, it hit the module and reversed back to its original position. They moved the module and the problem was solved. But that showed me they never bothered to look the first three times.

They told me "within specs" when I brought my 3 series in with an air conditioning problem. It happened the previous summer, middle of July, hot air out of the vents. No loaners available for three weeks, I had to have a loaner, so I drove around with no a/c in a heat wave that killed a dozen people waiting for a loaner. When they finally worked on the car they couldn't find the leak. They put in a coolant that fluoresces under UV light and said it would help them find the leak. The coolant worked great, temp at the dash vent was 34 deg F. By the following March the dash temp was up to 62 degrees F and I brought it in for service. They checked the temperature, said it was "within specs" so they couldn't work on it. I told them I didn't want to be put in a position where the a/c failed in the middle of the hot summer and a loaner wasn't available like the previous year. "There's nothing we can do for you." Sure enough, a/d gave up the ghost in the middle of a summer heat wave, loaner not available for four weeks. And this car was under warranty.

I'll add another BMW service excuse I won't miss. "You're driving the car wrong." My wife's X5 has an electrical gremlin that plagued X5's and other models. It is a phantom drain and without warning the car is dead, absolutely dead, can't jump start it, can't even put it in neutral bec of the electronic shifter. It was a known problem with a lot of possible causes, but our dealer after keeping the car for four days couldn't find the problem. After multipel trips to the dealer we were again told "There is nothing we can do for you." They told my wife she was "driving it wrong," she needed to drive more interstate miles, and that she had to buy a trickle charger from them and pop the hood every evening to hook it up. That was their final solution. Another dealer a very long way away found a service bulletin the local dealer didn't. Turns out BMW to try to get a tenth of an mpg improvement in fleet mileage programmed the car so it only charged the battery when it was driving at highway speeds. The partial fix (current drain cause is still unknown) was to reprogram the computers to have the alternator charge the battery at lower speeds and to reduce the time the computers stay awake after the ignition is turned off.

I don't miss the expenses and the excuses associated with my BMW. And my 3 series left me at the side of the road three separate times, all failures of systems that don't exist in a Tesla.

I owned multiple BMW over the years. The Model 3 replaced my 3 series, and the Model Y replace my X3. I since have sold the Model 3 as I really couldn't justify having two vehicles any longer driving 5k miles a year total (even before the pandemic).

I absolutely love my Tesla(s)... but..

What I miss:
* BMW Paint. Not just the choice in colors (BMW always had the best colors and thousands of custom colors), but the quality of paint. I had my 325ci for 17+ years and had maybe a couple of tiny paint chips on it. My X3 for 5+ years was perfect. I got more chips on my Model Y (Pearl White) in the first two months than those two combined. Besides a more noticeable mismatch and thinness in places. The paint on my Model 3 was better, but that was the now discontinued Silver Metallic.
* BMW Premium interior. While I like the minimalist interior of the 3 and Y, the quality of materials and the attention to detail was much better in my BMWs. For example the carpet in the back of the Y already looks worse than what it was on my X3 and that is even with 3D Max mats down. The X3 also had nice cargo rails in the back.
* Then there are things I miss from time to time - the engine sound, driving manual (my 3 series) etc.

I have had many BMWs and currently have a loaded 2016 535i X. I love the car and it has been pretty much trouble free (only 36k miles). It is a fantastic highway cruiser and very comfortable. However, you just can't compare an ICE car to a Tesla. The instant torque and one pedal driving just can't be matched and make the Tesla more fun to drive. The BMW was the ultimate driving machine, but I think that slogan is now anachronistic.

I also have a 2000 BMW M Roadster. That car is in a different class - 2 seater, convertible, stick, so that car is a blast to drive, but if I had to rate them for overall driving fun, I would select the Tesla.

Reactions: gavine
Have also owned several BMW’s throughout the years. I came out of a 7 prior to the Y. I miss the quality of the materials from the BMW. Nicer soft touch plastics, etc. Seat surfaces are real leather (subjective, I know). One of my pet peeves, since I’m out on the water a lot, is the seat and the armrests always have stains on them. The BMW’s never had that.

I really love the Y but I do wish they’d spend a little more on the quality of the parts.

Ok thanks, everyone. I have a 2016 BMW x3 and I love it. I'm going to be trading it in for the model y. But every time I get in the BMW I love it more and more. It's just a gas guzzler.
I have an x3 and went to a Model X. I have since forgotten about the x3, except for the HUD and the birds-eye view camera. Tesla really needs to add these.

Reactions: frankvb
I had been a BMW owner for over 25 years. 1996 318I, 1997 M3 Sedan, 2002 740LI, 2007 X3, 2016 X3. They were good cars, but expensive to maintain. No upgrades. I was one of the first with I-Drive.

I now have a Tesla Model Y. The MY is better than an X3. Period. It drives about the same. Sporty and hard ride. The one thing I miss is real leather. I love the OTA updates, but to be fair, the NEW features have not come as often as I had hoped. I paid for FSD, and Musk continues to say it is just around the corner, but not delivered.

I have only been to Tesla service one time and with Covid, I can't really compare it to BMW. BMW you had to do at least yearly service. The Tesla service was good. Got a M3 loaner. BMW does not have a ranger program. I live 3 hours from Tesla service.

BMW will get electric, but it is not just about the power train. It is about the software of the car.

Tesla can not rest. They have to keep innovating and stay ahead of competition. They will have to focus on customers and service and satisfaction.

BMW has been around for decades. Tesla for one.

Get rid of the BMW and get a Tesla. You will not regret it.

Reactions: JerseyShoreMY
Coming from a BMW 550i. Three things I do not miss:

- 50% chance the BMW will accelerate quickly when passing. 50% chance you are counting one second, two…

- Thirsty turbos and valve stem seals requires carrying a 6-pack of oil in the trunk.

- The dreaded BMW “engine malfunction - reduced power warning” when trying to merge on the freeway in front of an 18 wheeler.

Of course, this is all ICE related. Funny how BMW spoke of electrification so long ago, but still appears to be stumbling.

Will be moving from 2018 X3M40i to MYLR and will not have any regrets other than carplay 😂 I've mentioned this in another thread but I'm in alignment with everyone here. I just wish I was able to use my 20" M wheels on my Y

edit: Ohhh they do sell 5x112 to 5x114.3 adapters.....

Last edited:
Will be moving from 2018 X3M40i to MYLR and will not have any regrets other than carplay 😂 I've mentioned this in another thread but I'm in alignment with everyone here. I just wish I was able to use my 20" M wheels on my Y

edit: Ohhh they do sell 5x112 to 5x114.3 adapters.....
Former X M40i owner here as well. I don’t miss car play as much as I thought I would.

the exhaust note though, the burps and gargles and pops that the MPerformance Exhaust has?
Yeah I miss that.

Then I stomp on the go pedal of the MYP while making fart sounds with the turn signals, and I don’t miss it so much anymore.

Reactions: seniorcitizen
Former X M40i owner here as well. I don’t miss car play as much as I thought I would.

the exhaust note though, the burps and gargles and pops that the MPerformance Exhaust has?
Yeah I miss that.

Then I stomp on the go pedal of the MYP while making fart sounds with the turn signals, and I don’t miss it so much anymore.
We can find a way to inject exhaust sounds as you accelerate. They do that anyway with Audi and BMWs 😂

Have had BMWs for past 20 years (328, x3, X1(s), X4, currently i3). Also have Model Y. The driving dynamic of Tesla is similar to BMW. Interiors of BMW's are more 'luxurious' for whatever that means, but I have no issues with Tesla. There is a difference driving between EV and ICE, but the actual driving feel is definitely similar.