Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

former BMW owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you get by charging a Tesla on a 110 volt outlet?
it takes 5 miles an hour to charge it from 110. so if you drive 60 miles and park it between 7 pm and 7 am you should be fine.
If you drive more than 60 I would get 240.
Also take a look at Utility State and Federal incentives.
In my case after rebates and incentives $1000 install of 14-50 outlet becomes $120.
$120 totally worth it to charge faster.
if you drive 60 miles or less, I would do 110 outlet and use supercharger or free EV chargers when needed.

Many former 2018 BMW X3 M40i owners here :) As I stated in other threads, the four things I miss are the 360 camera view, HUD, coded LED matrix lights (not legal in the US...) and the adaptive suspension I had. Just about everything else is better in the Y.

Comparatively The tesla is rad.

But to be honest, my BMW's only have two wheels. And I'm keeping mine, so not sure my opinion matters. being that I consider their motorcycles to be superior to their cars.
Very well said. There are very few bikes that ride like BMW bikes.. however, there are a ton of luxury vehicles that ride like BMW’s vehicles . Interesting when you think about it.

Reactions: Peelz
Very well said. There are very few bikes that ride like BMW bikes.. however, there are a ton of luxury vehicles that ride like BMW’s vehicles . Interesting when you think about it.
Had a K100RT around 20 years ago, it was a great bike, wished they would still make something similar instead of the massive touring bikes they make now. I did have an F800GT a few years ago but sold it as I hardly ever used it, and I did not like its parallel twin engine.

Reactions: Peelz
Had a K100RT around 20 years ago, it was a great bike, wished they would still make something similar instead of the massive touring bikes they make now. I did have an F800GT a few years ago but sold it as I hardly ever used it, and I did not like its parallel twin engine.
Boxer engines are the way to go. "R" bikes. The K's have gotten huge. They do have the k1600b, "bagger" thats a little smaller.

mid 2000's K1200R is the only NON boxer Ive considered.

Totally agree. save for the snarling full-on sport M machines maybe. even then, they dont feel special to me.

I ride a 2016 R1200RS the new water cooled boxer is really a beauty of a powerplant.

We can find a way to inject exhaust sounds as you accelerate. They do that anyway with Audi and BMWs 😂
And Porsche, Jaguar, the Corvette, even the Ford F150 truck.

Something I thought I would miss from my BMW was the comfort seats with the extendable thigh bolster and adjustable head rest. I'm 6'2" with horrible spinal problems in my neck and back, had major back surgery this past December and am looking at two neck surgeries soon. I took a 9 hour round trip drive a month ago, first road trip since the pandemic started, and I completely forgot about the thigh bolster and the adjustable headrest. That long a drive in my BMW left me feeling like I had been mugged, in the Y I was as fresh at the end of the drive as I was at the start. I was quite surprised.

I went from an i3 in 2015, to a 530e in 2018 (returned the i3 lease), to a Model 3 SR+ in 2020 (transferred the 530e lease), and then a Model Y in 2021 (sold the Model 3).

I've been driving an EV/PHEV BMW longer than a Tesla, and there are some things I like about a BMW better than a Tesla. But for what I use the car for mainly these days, the Tesla is better suited for that.

I own 3 BMW's: a 2014 M235i, 2015 M4, 2017 430i convertible.
And A 2021 Tesla Model Y.

To me the model Y is superior in every way to all the BMW's. I am selling the M235i and M4 and keeping the 430i convertible for now.
If Tesla made a convertible I would buy that and sell the 430i.

In the last 3 months I have spent $2600 on brakes and $1500 on tires just for the M4. The fit and finish is better on the tesla than on the BMW M235i and M4 and about the same as the 430i.

Maintenance and repair cost are very high on BMW's and they are very fragile cars.
Hitting potholes has caused damage to 2 of my BMW wheels and underbody on the M235i and M4.
Never had that happen on any other car.
And I don't know why but the BMW's seem to get flat tires more than other cars. Maybe the larger tires?

And why does BMW use so many plastic parts in the engine bay. I have replaced the turbo charge pipe and some other plastic lines on the M235i. These parts should be metal!

And why did BMW remove the oil dipstick? That is stupid on a performance car!

Fuel costs really add up on the M235i and M4.

In my house we have 5 drivers (2 parents and 3 teens). Everyone wants to drive the Tesla. No one wants the drive the BMW's since they are always low on gas and whoever drives it will need to fill it up. And since they require premium fuel it costs a lot to fill up the tank ($50 or more).

And the Tesla just feels like a modern/futuristic car. The interiors on the BMW's feel and look old. So many buttons!

So in conclusion my impression of BMW's and german cars are very poor. I am not at all impressed with German engineering.

First thing to change on your BMW: plastic (!) coolant reservoir with an aluminium one.

I own 3 BMW's: a 2014 M235i, 2015 M4, 2017 430i convertible.
And A 2021 Tesla Model Y.

To me the model Y is superior in every way to all the BMW's. I am selling the M235i and M4 and keeping the 430i convertible for now.
If Tesla made a convertible I would buy that and sell the 430i.

In the last 3 months I have spent $2600 on brakes and $1500 on tires just for the M4. The fit and finish is better on the tesla than on the BMW M235i and M4 and about the same as the 430i.

Maintenance and repair cost are very high on BMW's and they are very fragile cars.
Hitting potholes has caused damage to 2 of my BMW wheels and underbody on the M235i and M4.
Never had that happen on any other car.
And I don't know why but the BMW's seem to get flat tires more than other cars. Maybe the larger tires?

And why does BMW use so many plastic parts in the engine bay. I have replaced the turbo charge pipe and some other plastic lines on the M235i. These parts should be metal!

And why did BMW remove the oil dipstick? That is stupid on a performance car!

Fuel costs really add up on the M235i and M4.

In my house we have 5 drivers (2 parents and 3 teens). Everyone wants to drive the Tesla. No one wants the drive the BMW's since they are always low on gas and whoever drives it will need to fill it up. And since they require premium fuel it costs a lot to fill up the tank ($50 or more).

And the Tesla just feels like a modern/futuristic car. The interiors on the BMW's feel and look old. So many buttons!

So in conclusion my impression of BMW's and german cars are very poor. I am not at all impressed with German engineering.

Reactions: laservet
First thing to change on your BMW: plastic (!) coolant reservoir with an aluminium one.
Yes. I will probably just do it on the 430i.
I have someone buying the M235i today and will sell the M4 this month.
The M235i and M4 are a lot of fun to drive but the expensive maintenance and parts are just not worth it.
And the depreciation on BMW's is absolutely ridiculous.

Reactions: mark95476
I've owned a 2002, a 2002tii, a 330xi, two X1s and I presently own a 3.0CS and a 530e. My experience is that BMW has recently transformed from "The ultimate driving machine" to an expensive comfortable car with nice amenities. I've never thought that BMW was expert in the electronics arena and my more recent models have had minor glitches like with the door locks, backup camera and lane keeping assistant (autosteer). And woe is the individual that has to get their car serviced at a BMW dealer.

From an engineering standpoint, I wouldn't even put any of those recent BMW models in the same class as my MY. The Model Y certainly has a spartan interior compared to the 530e, but to be honest I don't miss the wood panels, the plush leather and the interior LED light show.

BMW had a shot to beat everyone except Tesla to the market with a range of great BEVs, but the company's management stopped that from happening. Now we're left with a BMW BEV that has a massive front grille and is nowhere near the quality of the BEVs that Tesla, Ford and VAG have released. It's too bad.

I would like to get opinions on people who have had BMWs and made the transition to a tesla. I would like to know if you all have any regrets or do you think you made the right decision. I have had BMWs and I have a long-range model y on order.
no regrets switching from bmw to y other than the riduclous depreciation of BMW. love the Y would never go back

38BAE4CC-920C-459F-8C81-C76BB73E6C55.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Arctic_White
I've owned a bunch of BMW M3s (most recently a M3cs) and very nearly pulled the trigger on an MYP. However, I ended up rejecting the car at delivery as it just had a ton of issues. Overall build quality and materials are at least a level or two below BMW. I ended up pivoting and getting the BMW X3M and I'm very happy.

That said I AM a fan of Tesla and we are actually waiting on delivery of an SR Y for my wife, but again if you are used to driving higher end BMWs, you will be disappointed in some of the quality and service oriented aspects.

Last edited:
Reactions: z335is
As someone who has owned BMWs for the last 20 years, I'll break it down like this:

Tech: Tesla
Quality: BMW
Service: BMW
Efficiency: Tesla
Performance: Variable

So it really comes down to which of the above you value more. I'll be honest though, coming from my BMW, the materials in the Y just felt so flimsy and cheap. It definitely took a while to get used to, but now it doesn't bother me as much.

• Disagree
Reactions: FOOLSLFDRVNG