Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Former Model 3 Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any regrets in trading for a Model Y? Was it a major change in driving dynamics given that its a little bigger?

I am looking to trade-in for the hatchback aspect and more interior room for passengers. I am a bit worried about driving dynamics though, but I am assuming its mostly the same with a bit more weight.

We own both. You definitely give up some nimbleness. It sits higher so there's more body roll and you notice the heft more, but only when you start to push it a bit. On the plus side, it's easier to live with day to day. Easier for everyone to get in and out of, more room for my kids, the hatch swallows quite a bit more cargo and the load height is quite good.

We own both. You definitely give up some nimbleness. It sits higher so there's more body roll and you notice the heft more, but only when you start to push it a bit. On the plus side, it's easier to live with day to day. Easier for everyone to get in and out of, more room for my kids, the hatch swallows quite a bit more cargo and the load height is quite good.
Agree 100% with this.

Interested in the replies to this. I've had a 3 for about five months but think I'm losing it to a car accident that occurred this week (other party at fault, likely totaled as it was a major rear collision at highway speeds). Really considering moving up to a Y. Test drove one last night and I agree that it doesn't feel as much like a go-kart, but there does seem to be so much more usable space that you pick up for the minor acceleration and sportiness factor that I think is worth it. I still find the appearance of the Y to be a bit bloated but it did look better in person last night. Think I've already made up my mind to go for the Y but am here for more anecdotes to back up my feelings!

Interested in the replies to this. I've had a 3 for about five months but think I'm losing it to a car accident that occurred this week (other party at fault, likely totaled as it was a major rear collision at highway speeds). Really considering moving up to a Y. Test drove one last night and I agree that it doesn't feel as much like a go-kart, but there does seem to be so much more usable space that you pick up for the minor acceleration and sportiness factor that I think is worth it. I still find the appearance of the Y to be a bit bloated but it did look better in person last night. Think I've already made up my mind to go for the Y but am here for more anecdotes to back up my feelings!
Sorry to hear it, but I’m looking forward to the responses, too. I have a Model 3 but find myself watching MY videos and longing for the practicality, especially as a parent.

Reactions: captanzuelo
I had a 2017 LR RWD Model 3 and switched it for my AWD Y in May. I prefer the Y for two main reasons, the hatchback opening and the ease of getting in and out. My Y actually has a lower 0-60 time, but I don't notice much of a difference (both are plenty fast enough).

When I first drove my Y home, I thought that it felt heavier and that the seats were more plush. The ride seemed about the same, but I've recently become dissatisfied with the harsh ride of my Y. (Maybe because you're riding a lot higher so it's easier to bet tossed around more.). So much so that I've order the Mountain Pass luxury coilover package (they are supposed to ship mine soon).

Hope this helps

I’ve had my M3 since ‘18 and really enjoy it but the car is usually used for weekend trips that often involve camping. This means we almost always keep all of our camping stuff in the vehicle too. So I finally gave in and decided to get the MY and will take delivery in a week—first weekend in February.

One of the subtle things I noticed about the MY on the test drive was how much more comfortable the front seats were. Other than that I’m just giving in to its practicality and switching to AWD. Will post my impressions in a few weeks.

Sorry to hear about the wreck bwalker5. I hope everyone is ok.

Sure the Y is not quite as fun on the twisties as the Model 3 but that's all relative... the Y is very fun to drive! Compared to the Acura MDX we sold, it is a track car. For my family of 4, it's the perfect car for road trips. I appreciate the Y's higher seating position and forward/outward view on the highways vs my lowered 3. Front seat risers allow my kids to really stretch out and they appreciate the reclining seats. The lack of the center cross brace on the glass roof makes it feel much more spacious. Other than the extra seating capacity, I feel like we did not give up anything in utility & comfort to the MDX, but it is leagues better in driving dynamics.

As for looks, that's all subjective. I think it looks great.
Y MB.jpg

I moved from a 2018 RWD LR Model 3 to a Stealth Y this fall. The 3 was an incredible car and one of my favorite cars I have driven (much less owned). Ultimately the decision to make the change happened after leaving the NY area for months and driving across the US this summer. It would take a full day to Tetris everything into the 3 (having to pack toilet paper and cleaning supplies didn’t help). We desperately needed more space for our family and the amount of storage in the Y is a large improvement vs the 3.

Overall, the car is amazing but not as fun to drive as the 3. Even the performance Y is less fun than the RWD 3. But my family loves it! Overall it is so much more practical, which I benefit from everyday. With the 19” wheels, I find the ride similar to the 3 except with a bit more sway, as would be expected with a taller vehicle. FYI, test drove the 21” wheels and hated the ride quality.

Do I miss my Model 3: yes. Do I regret moving to the Y: not at all.

Sorry to hear about the wreck bwalker5. I hope everyone is ok.

Sure the Y is not quite as fun on the twisties as the Model 3 but that's all relative... the Y is very fun to drive! Compared to the Acura MDX we sold, it is a track car. For my family of 4, it's the perfect car for road trips. I appreciate the Y's higher seating position and forward/outward view on the highways vs my lowered 3. Front seat risers allow my kids to really stretch out and they appreciate the reclining seats. The lack of the center cross brace on the glass roof makes it feel much more spacious. Other than the extra seating capacity, I feel like we did not give up anything in utility & comfort to the MDX, but it is leagues better in driving dynamics.

As for looks, that's all subjective. I think it looks great.View attachment 632165
This configuration is what I have built out. I love the pearl white. I've got a call with my advisor tomorrow to talk about ordering but holding delivery until I know my 3 is declared totaled next week and I get the check. Cars are replaceable and I am doing alright. The 3 took the impact like a champ. I always wanted a heat pump but not sure it's worth all these calls with insurance!

We just traded-in our 3 after two years and got the Y delivered a couple of days ago. I miss driving the 3. The Y is more practical for cargo space, which is why we got it. We did some long road trips in the 3 for our family of 4 and we definitely had to leave behind some luggage and food that we wanted to bring along because we couldn't fit everything. Also, I was expecting the Y to have a much smoother ride, and that is not the case. It's a little smoother than the 3, but still pretty stiff, and I feel like it has a weird low-frequency rumble on rough roads that I never experienced in the 3.

I would stick with the 3 unless you think the extra cargo space is really going to help you out often. I find myself wondering if my family could have managed with the 3 and a roof box for the longer trips.

I had a 3 for 2 1/2 years and have had the Y since May. I sold the 3 in September so had a few months of overlap.
They Y is more practical and after many years of always having a “sports” car and a “SUV” I decided that because my driving has gone down even further it just didn’t make sense to have two vehicles anymore.

However I concur with some others. I enjoyed driving the 3 (which was a LR RWD) more than driving the Y (performance). That is not to say I don’t love driving the Y too. But there is something about lower sitting more nimble RWD vehicles I’ll always like better. I also preferred the look of the 3 to the Y (especially the paint as my 3 was a rare light Silver Metallic that was only offered for a short time). And I miss the rainbow affect when it rains or I wash it!

However I still feel I made the right choice with the one vehicle and have found I like the Y even more than before since the 3 is gone and I can’t compare them directly to each other anymore if that makes sense! :). I also did replace the 21” uberturbines with 19” Tsportline TS5s which I like much better for handling etc.

Reactions: T3SLAROD
I had a 3 for 2 1/2 years and have had the Y since May. I sold the 3 in September so had a few months of overlap.
They Y is more practical and after many years of always having a “sports” car and a “SUV” I decided that because my driving has gone down even further it just didn’t make sense to have two vehicles anymore.

However I concur with some others. I enjoyed driving the 3 (which was a LR RWD) more than driving the Y (performance). That is not to say I don’t love driving the Y too. But there is something about lower sitting more nimble RWD vehicles I’ll always like better. I also preferred the look of the 3 to the Y (especially the paint as my 3 was a rare light Silver Metallic that was only offered for a short time). And I miss the rainbow affect when it rains or I wash it!

However I still feel I made the right choice with the one vehicle and have found I like the Y even more than before since the 3 is gone and I can’t compare them directly to each other anymore if that makes sense! :). I also did replace the 21” uberturbines with 19” Tsportline TS5s which I like much better for handling etc.

I knew the handling wouldn’t be the same just based on the difference in size and weight. I’m wondering if a set of MPP Coilovers would take care of that issue.

I sold my 2018 M3 after I purchased a 2020 MY. I did not like driving the M3 as it was too low and the rear visibility was horrible (for me, anyway). I live in the San Jose area and I can testify that THE WORST drivers in the world live here, so defensive driving is a must.

The Y has much better visibility all around, especially looking out the back. I can see much better and I feel I am more likely to be seen as well. Couple that with the extra space and the ease of egress and it was a no-brainer for me.

Something else I noticed is that everything in the Y seems to fit and feel better than the 3. Little refinements everywhere make it so much more enjoyable to drive. The 3 felt like a prototype to me and the Y is the realization of what the car is meant to be. I didn't have an early 3 either.

The other huge bonus is AP. While I would never use it enough to want to purchase it, the feature is nice on the once-in-a-blue-moon evenings the roads are free of the aforementioned drivers who insist on stopping in the middle of the road, or make left turns from the right lane, or think the bike lane is another lane for them, etc., etc., etc.

I don't, for a minute, miss any power. I felt my LR RWD M3 was overpowered as it was and never put the pedal all the way down. I think it would have lifted off had I done that. The MY feels much more grounded and stable, where the M3 was squirrelly. This might has something to do with the fact that my M3 was RWD and the MY is AWD.

Are the gripes with the handling on the AWD MY coming from the weight of the extra motor up front?
Specifically for those that came from the RWD M3.

Maybe it won’t be so bad for the RWD MY that’s now available.
I’ll let you guys know once I make the switch next week.

I don't, for a minute, miss any power. I felt my LR RWD M3 was overpowered as it was and never put the pedal all the way down. I think it would have lifted off had I done that. The MY feels much more grounded and stable, where the M3 was squirrelly. This might has something to do with the fact that my M3 was RWD and the MY is AWD.

Okay but to be clear the MY LR is faster? I agree the RWD LR M3 has plenty of power but one the few things I am looking forward to in the MY AWD is how quick it will feel–even though I’ll never use it off the line, etc.

Okay but to be clear the MY LR is faster? I agree the RWD LR M3 has plenty of power but one the few things I am looking forward to in the MY AWD is how quick it will feel–even though I’ll never use it off the line, etc.

There is another thread where SR MY owners are saying the SR feels exactly as fast as the LR.
And since the SR MY has the same 0-60 as the SR+ M3, maybe the change you are hoping for won’t be so pronounced.
(Unless the LR M3 is noticeably faster than SR+ M3)

This is based off the butt-dyno though..

There is another thread where SR MY owners are saying the SR feels exactly as fast as the LR.
And since the SR MY has the same 0-60 as the SR+ M3, maybe the change you are hoping for won’t be so pronounced.
(Unless the LR M3 is noticeably faster than SR+ M3)

This is based off the butt-dyno though..

Thanks. I sincerely considered the SR for a while just because I felt the extra money wasn’t really justified based on my experience with the LR M3, but in the end my other half wanted the “security” of knowing we have it and they’re splitting it with me.

I was just hoping one of the benefits of spending the extra money would be the AWD would be quicker, etc. I guess we’ll see.

A couple observations not as a M3 owner but just from test driving. The M3 we tested rode on 18" Michelins. The MY we bought had 19" Contis. We swapped them out for Vredesteins for snow handling and ride quality also improved, but I still felt the M3 ride was smoother. The other point is the back seat of the MY allows adults to sit comfortably without their knees up above the belt line (this was also an issue in the back seat of the MS).

Is the Y considerably more comfortable on road trips than the 3? Trying to decide between a Model 3 LR and Y LR. I don't really need the cargo of the Y. But if the ride is considerably more comfortable for 8 hour trip to SoCal then it would be a factor in my decision,