Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Former Model S owner getting a MYP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I owned a Model S 75D from 2018-2020 and loved it. I always knew I’d likely come back to a Tesla, just a matter of time. I take delivery next week of a MYP in MSM, white int, +tow. We are a family of 5 with kids 12, 10 and 6 (who are excited to have another car that farts).

I know the basic differences I’m getting into, of course, but I’d love to hear from others who have gone from an S to a Y, and what your experience has been.

I’m excited about the 3.5 second acceleration, of course. And, I’m excited about having better range (+50 miles over my former 75D).

I’m not as excited about having to pay $300+ for Homelink integration. And, I am also wondering if the missing driver dash screen will bother me. And I do expect the backseat will get cramped as my 3 kids grow. But, they will “survive”.

Thanks in advance!

Hi all,

I owned a Model S 75D from 2018-2020 and loved it. I always knew I’d likely come back to a Tesla, just a matter of time. I take delivery next week of a MYP in MSM, white int, +tow. We are a family of 5 with kids 12, 10 and 6 (who are excited to have another car that farts).

I know the basic differences I’m getting into, of course, but I’d love to hear from others who have gone from an S to a Y, and what your experience has been.

I’m excited about the 3.5 second acceleration, of course. And, I’m excited about having better range (+50 miles over my former 75D).

I’m not as excited about having to pay $300+ for Homelink integration. And, I am also wondering if the missing driver dash screen will bother me. And I do expect the backseat will get cramped as my 3 kids grow. But, they will “survive”.

Thanks in advance!
The back seat of the Y is actually more spacious than the S.

The ride quality, however, is significantly worse if you are coming from an S with air suspension. That was my only gripe about the switch.

I'm a longtime Model S owner. What @glide says is correct, the Y back seat is much more comfortable for 1 or 2 adult-sized people than the S. The Y seat is higher off the floor, and the Y has more headroom. However I believe the S is wider, so for 3 across the S might be better, especially for kids if they're not yet adult height (i.e. if the Y's extra seat height doesn't matter yet for them).

@glide is also correct about Y ride quality being significantly worse than any S with air suspension. The Y ride is very busy, you feel everything even over fairly smooth (but not perfectly smooth) roads. Some people don't mind it at all, while others (like me) find it borderline intolerable. To me it feels very out of character for a modern family CUV.

From what I've read, some of the higher quality aftermarket damper+spring setups might do a lot to improve ride quality (while also increasing handling capability at the same time), however you may or may not be comfortable modifying the suspension on your family car. (Don't bother just changing out springs, the dampers are the biggest part of the problem as best I can tell.) I ordered a set of Redwood Motorsports Öhlins DFV coilovers (dampers+springs) for my 2021 Model 3 Performance before I even picked up the car. (I did this based on my test drives, including a non-Tesla EV that came with Öhlins DFV dampers from the factory.) They have a Model Y version. If I ever buy a Model Y (definitely a possibility if I need to replace my old S) I will buy the Öhlins for it. On my Model 3 I went for "performance sport" however on a Y I would just go for "grand touring" (softer).

Other stuff...

I hate the 3/Y turn stalk. Hate it. So Much. It always returns to center, so you can't feel where it's at, and half the time I try to turn off a turn signal, it either doesn't respond or it switches the signal to the opposite side.

I've barely driven my 3 in the rain and I already miss having full wiper controls on the stalk. This is partly because the autowipers are worse on my 2021 Model 3 than my 2013 Model S. I didn't test drive the Y in the rain but I'm pretty sure its autowipers work the same as the 3. There is a button for getting 1 wipe (long press to spray washer fluid) that also directly brings up the touchscreen wiper settings, which are positioned on the driver's side (at least for left-hand drive), so that helps somewhat!

Forward(+side) visibility is hugely better in the Y than the S. The beltline feels very low relative to your seating, the glass is tall, it feels almost old school car and way better than most modern cars. I love this about the Y. So does my wife.

Coming from an S, the 3/Y center display map feels small. The display itself is a little smaller but that's not the issue. The problem is Tesla took up way too much of the center display on graphics that were in the driver's display. The layout could be much more space efficient, a huge amount of space is wasted displaying car graphics and the map cannot be extended over it.

My wife really misses having a roof that opens. (Though not all S have that, not sure if yours did.)

The 2021 Model Y I tested had loud wind noise on the highway (by modern car standards), worse than my old 2013 S, let alone a newer (quieter) S. However I don't see too many Y wind noise complaints on these forums, so I'm suspicious that my test car ran afoul of Tesla's legendary build consistency. If that's the case, Tesla service should be able to fix this if your car is affected.

I like the front seats of an S of your era more than 3/Y front seats. This is personal preference to some extent though. I do like the 3/Y front seats more than my 2013 S front seats.

The 3/Y steering ratio is much quicker than S steering ratio, and the 3/Y steering wheel is smaller too, accentuating the ratio difference. In the sporty-feeling Model 3 I love this. In the Y it feels almost too fast, a bit out of character. I might prefer a slightly slower ratio in the Y. I'm sure you'll get used to it though, this is just an initial adjustment thing, and better the steering is a little quick than too slow!

The dual motor Y frunk is much smaller than my RWD S frunk. However since you're coming from a dual motor S, I think the Y frunk is comparable.

Last edited:
Interested in hearing the responses as well. I have a 2019 75D currently and a 7 seater Model Y on order. We have a toddler and a dog, so having the extra seating was a good option as they tend to like their own space. I love the ride on the 75D with the air suspension, but have been driving old fashioned coil suspension cars for years so it shouldn't be a big deal on the Y.
Just wondering how the transition to a center screen only layout will be. I'm also not fond of having pretty much all of the controls on the center screen without stalks. As others have said, the autowipers on Tesla are terrible, especially at night. I understand the HVAC controls on the screen look cool, but I like being able to reach and quickly adjust the air vents as I drive. The plan is to keep both the Y and 75D, so I think it will overall be a nice combo of old and new to have.

Reactions: HokieHaden
Interested in hearing the responses as well. I have a 2019 75D currently and a 7 seater Model Y on order. We have a toddler and a dog, so having the extra seating was a good option as they tend to like their own space. I love the ride on the 75D with the air suspension, but have been driving old fashioned coil suspension cars for years so it shouldn't be a big deal on the Y.
Just wondering how the transition to a center screen only layout will be. I'm also not fond of having pretty much all of the controls on the center screen without stalks. As others have said, the autowipers on Tesla are terrible, especially at night. I understand the HVAC controls on the screen look cool, but I like being able to reach and quickly adjust the air vents as I drive. The plan is to keep both the Y and 75D, so I think it will overall be a nice combo of old and new to have.
S + Y will definitely be a nice combo! :)

Some of the moved-to-touchscreen controls I actually really like. The vents are a great example, I thought I'd be annoyed too, but actually I really like touchscreen adjustment for them. The touch area is BIG, and it's done by dragging, so it's very easy and fast to do on the move. And adjusting the passenger vents while driving is much easier and safer.

Adjusting side mirrors via touchscreen + steering wheel controls also works fine for me, I don't miss the separate controls at all. I never care to adjust my mirrors while driving though. If for some reason you do, maybe this would be more of a problem.

I do miss the extra functionality of the S wheel controls though. The 3/Y scroll wheel functions seem to be fixed, whereas in the S you can use the right scroll wheel for a whole range of things. (Apparently the new yoke S has lost this as well sadly.)

It sounds like you're set on the 7 seat Y, but I'll mention that when I very briefly sat in one, the middle row (normal back row) felt less comfortable than the 5 seat Y. I was never shopping for the 7 seat version, I just sat in one in the delivery center for a few seconds out of curiosity, but this is something to consider if you don't really need the 3rd row.

Last edited:
I actually love my homelink unit. It was totally worth the money and *pro tip* if you look through the for sale section, some owners will sell them due to cancelling their orders. That's how I got mine for $275 or so. Tesla will install it for free as long as the box wasn't open and you can get the seller to send you a copy of the invoice.

In regards to functionality, I live in a small condo/townhome building where my car is parked the closest to the garage door. When going to my car, I just activate homelink from my Apple Watch and the garage door opens up. Now I don't even need a separate garage door opener or key to get into my garage. It's amazing!

I actually love my homelink unit. It was totally worth the money and *pro tip* if you look through the for sale section, some owners will sell them due to cancelling their orders. That's how I got mine for $275 or so. Tesla will install it for free as long as the box wasn't open and you can get the seller to send you a copy of the invoice.

In regards to functionality, I live in a small condo/townhome building where my car is parked the closest to the garage door. When going to my car, I just activate homelink from my Apple Watch and the garage door opens up. Now I don't even need a separate garage door opener or key to get into my garage. It's amazing!
Agreed. Builtin homelink is really nice, my old S doesn't have it and I love it in my 3. The $300 is nothing in the scheme of the car, and getting it installed is no big deal at all, mobile service will do it at your home.

If you ever park on the street or driveway in front of your home, I think builtin homelink is safer than a separate remote. A visible garage door remote is could tempt thieves into smashing your window to see if it'll open your garage. Even if you hide the remote, if they break in anyways and find it, they might use it and see what they can grab from your garage too.

(Now if they break in and either touch the screen or open a door on a locked car, will the screen turn on and let them use the builtin homelink? I don't know, I am interested in the answer, maybe I'll test this with a window down.)

S + Y will definitely be a nice combo! :)

Some of the moved-to-touchscreen controls I actually really like. The vents are a great example, I thought I'd be annoyed too, but actually I really like touchscreen adjustment for them. The touch area is BIG, and it's done by dragging, so it's very easy and fast to do on the move. And adjusting the passenger vents while driving is much easier and safer.

Adjusting side mirrors via touchscreen + steering wheel controls also works fine for me, I don't miss the separate controls at all. I never care to adjust my mirrors while driving though. If for some reason you do, maybe this would be more of a problem.

I do miss the extra functionality of the S wheel controls though. The 3/Y scroll wheel functions seem to be fixed, whereas in the S you can use the right scroll wheel for a whole range of things. (Apparently the new yoke S has lost this as well sadly.)

It sounds like you're set on the 7 seat Y, but I'll mention that when I very briefly sat in one, the middle row (normal back row) felt less comfortable than the 5 seat Y. I was never shopping for the 7 seat version, I just sat in one in the delivery center for a few seconds out of curiosity, but this is something to consider if you don't really need the 3rd row.
Thanks for the info. I don't plan on needing to adjust mirrors while driving, so that shouldn't be an issue. I always worry when someone throws all of their eggs in one basket, i.e. how Tesla has pretty much thrown all of the essential functions in to the center touch screen. I can say a few times while driving down the highway my Model S' center screen has frozen and required a reset while driving, or actually reset itself while driving. The MS is fully functional as the important items are mechanical or have stalks, brakes, turn signals, windshield wipers, accelerator, etc.. It just becomes more worrisome as Tesla adds more controls to the touchscreen only or electronically controlled only.
We went with the 7 seater due to having the added space as an option without really giving anything up for it. Other than paying more, we can keep the 3rd row folded when not needed and still have the cargo capacity of the 5 seater. I know we will lose a small underfloor storage area, but not a big deal. As far as I know the 2nd row doesn't have less leg room in the 7 seater than the 5 seater since the row slides a little.

Thanks for the info. I don't plan on needing to adjust mirrors while driving, so that shouldn't be an issue. I always worry when someone throws all of their eggs in one basket, i.e. how Tesla has pretty much thrown all of the essential functions in to the center touch screen. I can say a few times while driving down the highway my Model S' center screen has frozen and required a reset while driving, or actually reset itself while driving. The MS is fully functional as the important items are mechanical or have stalks, brakes, turn signals, windshield wipers, accelerator, etc.. It just becomes more worrisome as Tesla adds more controls to the touchscreen only or electronically controlled only.
That's a valid concern. As our S has aged we've had lots of issues with the center screen crashed, needing reboot, slow to startup, etc. It's much better post-recall but I still don't fully trust it.

I haven't seen nearly as many or frequent issues reported with the 3/Y screen yet, granted they are all still pretty new, but I am hopeful that it'll hold up better in the long term than Tesla's first attempt. I also think the 3/Y will have better long-term support, whether from Tesla or the aftermarket, thanks to being a much higher volume car. Still, definitely a valid concern!

We went with the 7 seater due to having the added space as an option without really giving anything up for it. Other than paying more, we can keep the 3rd row folded when not needed and still have the cargo capacity of the 5 seater. I know we will lose a small underfloor storage area, but not a big deal. As far as I know the 2nd row doesn't have less leg room in the 7 seater than the 5 seater since the row slides a little.
It wasn't from less space, the seat itself seemed less comfortable to me. That was just a quick impression though. Have you sat in each? Maybe they're not as different as I felt.

I am in the same boat. Been driving MS75D(bought new Dec 2017) for the past 4years with air suspension and now have MYP(Blue/white/No Tow) on order with EDD Dec. I am concerned about the ride quality as well whether I have to switch to aftermarket 19 or 20s. Also getting all seasons on the 21s(Mich AS4) costs almost 1700$ while for another 600$ or so I can get another pair of 20s(Replika R241) with the same AS4s. I took MYP for a 2 night test drive experience from Tesla. The car is very smooth on good roads but as others said it felt like it never settles on uneven roads. I can feel alot which makes it sportier but its far from relaxed driving you get from MS. MYP didnt feel too noisier compared to MS. But my wife and I loved the performance and the comfort of high seating. Under thigh support on the front seats could have been better. Overall I am not changing anything on my order and as soon as I get one will switch to 265/275 AS4 tires to be ready for our Michigan winter.

I am in the same boat. Been driving MS75D(bought new Dec 2017) for the past 4years with air suspension and now have MYP(Blue/white/No Tow) on order with EDD Dec. I am concerned about the ride quality as well whether I have to switch to aftermarket 19 or 20s. Also getting all seasons on the 21s(Mich AS4) costs almost 1700$ while for another 600$ or so I can get another pair of 20s(Replika R241) with the same AS4s. I took MYP for a 2 night test drive experience from Tesla. The car is very smooth on good roads but as others said it felt like it never settles on uneven roads. I can feel alot which makes it sportier but its far from relaxed driving you get from MS. MYP didnt feel too noisier compared to MS. But my wife and I loved the performance and the comfort of high seating. Under thigh support on the front seats could have been better. Overall I am not changing anything on my order and as soon as I get one will switch to 265/275 AS4 tires to be ready for our Michigan winter.
I think you're right to downsize your MYP wheels. I downsized my S P85 wheels with zero regrets (21" -> 19"), and I'm eagerly awaiting the smaller wheels I ordered for my M3P (20" -> 18").

That said...I don't think wheel downsizing will do as much for MYP ride quality as you might hope. I'm sure it will be a noticeable and worthwhile improvement, but the MYLR I tested had a very busy ride (I forget if 20" or 19" wheels), presumably the MYP won't be any better. Though I never tested an MYP.

(Between M3P and M3LR, I felt the ride and handling difference was entirely from the different wheels + tires, nothing more. The actual suspensions felt basically the same to me. But I don't know if that holds true for MYP vs MYLR.)

Btw the ride quality and that wind noise issue (which as mentioned might've been just the car I tested) were the only things I really didn't like about the MYLR. Otherwise it was an excellent crossover, with truly best-of-class packaging.

So....does this trigger based on vehicle location (GPS) and automatically open and close my garage door? I'm guessing no, which is the predicament I'm in. I have owned a Model S before and love the homelink functionality as built into the Tesla. So, as I understand it, I can only get that with the MYP by paying the $300+ fee. I'm basically just moaning about it here.

I'm a longtime Model S owner. What @glide says is correct, the Y back seat is much more comfortable for 1 or 2 adult-sized people than the S. The Y seat is higher off the floor, and the Y has more headroom. However I believe the S is wider, so for 3 across the S might be better, especially for kids if they're not yet adult height (i.e. if the Y's extra seat height doesn't matter yet for them).

@glide is also correct about Y ride quality being significantly worse than any S with air suspension. The Y ride is very busy, you feel everything even over fairly smooth (but not perfectly smooth) roads. Some people don't mind it at all, while others (like me) find it borderline intolerable. To me it feels very out of character for a modern family CUV.

From what I've read, some of the higher quality aftermarket damper+spring setups might do a lot to improve ride quality (while also increasing handling capability at the same time), however you may or may not be comfortable modifying the suspension on your family car. (Don't bother just changing out springs, the dampers are the biggest part of the problem as best I can tell.) I ordered a set of Redwood Motorsports Öhlins DFV coilovers (dampers+springs) for my 2021 Model 3 Performance before I even picked up the car. (I did this based on my test drives, including a non-Tesla EV that came with Öhlins DFV dampers from the factory.) They have a Model Y version. If I ever buy a Model Y (definitely a possibility if I need to replace my old S) I will buy the Öhlins for it. On my Model 3 I went for "performance sport" however on a Y I would just go for "grand touring" (softer).

Other stuff...

I hate the 3/Y turn stalk. Hate it. So Much. It always returns to center, so you can't feel where it's at, and half the time I try to turn off a turn signal, it either doesn't respond or it switches the signal to the opposite side.

I've barely driven my 3 in the rain and I already miss having full wiper controls on the stalk. This is partly because the autowipers are worse on my 2021 Model 3 than my 2013 Model S. I didn't test drive the Y in the rain but I'm pretty sure its autowipers work the same as the 3. There is a button for getting 1 wipe (long press to spray washer fluid) that also directly brings up the touchscreen wiper settings, which are positioned on the driver's side (at least for left-hand drive), so that helps somewhat!

Forward(+side) visibility is hugely better in the Y than the S. The beltline feels very low relative to your seating, the glass is tall, it feels almost old school car and way better than most modern cars. I love this about the Y. So does my wife.

Coming from an S, the 3/Y center display map feels small. The display itself is a little smaller but that's not the issue. The problem is Tesla took up way too much of the center display on graphics that were in the driver's display. The layout could be much more space efficient, a huge amount of space is wasted displaying car graphics and the map cannot be extended over it.

My wife really misses having a roof that opens. (Though not all S have that, not sure if yours did.)

The 2021 Model Y I tested had loud wind noise on the highway (by modern car standards), worse than my old 2013 S, let alone a newer (quieter) S. However I don't see too many Y wind noise complaints on these forums, so I'm suspicious that my test car ran afoul of Tesla's legendary build consistency. If that's the case, Tesla service should be able to fix this if your car is affected.

I like the front seats of an S of your era more than 3/Y front seats. This is personal preference to some extent though. I do like the 3/Y front seats more than my 2013 S front seats.

The 3/Y steering ratio is much quicker than S steering ratio, and the 3/Y steering wheel is smaller too, accentuating the ratio difference. In the sporty-feeling Model 3 I love this. In the Y it feels almost too fast, a bit out of character. I might prefer a slightly slower ratio in the Y. I'm sure you'll get used to it though, this is just an initial adjustment thing, and better the steering is a little quick than too slow!

The dual motor Y frunk is much smaller than my RWD S frunk. However since you're coming from a dual motor S, I think the Y frunk is comparable.
This is an amazingly thoughtful and helpful response. Bless you. I am definitely concerned now about the ride quality (compared to the S I owned with air suspension). This is one of the most common refrains I'm hearing - here and in other forums. Yes, I test drove the Y before ordering. Still, it's a test drive, so I didn't "live" with the Y for a long time. I hope I'm not regretful, since I'm signing up for a 36 month lease.

So....does this trigger based on vehicle location (GPS) and automatically open and close my garage door? I'm guessing no, which is the predicament I'm in. I have owned a Model S before and love the homelink functionality as built into the Tesla. So, as I understand it, I can only get that with the MYP by paying the $300+ fee. I'm basically just moaning about it here.
Lol. I would gladly pay $300 to retrofit Homelink into my Model S. I've been meaning to look into what it would take. I'm not going to bother with any major wiring changes, but if it's just a matter of plugging in some missing parts and asking Tesla service nicely to reprogram the car for it, that might be worthwhile.

I wish Homelink auto-close could be enabled without auto-open on the 3/Y. Can you do that on your S?

Yes $300 feels steep when it used to be standard on the 3/Y, but in the context of car options, I think you should just order the kit and move on. $300 is nothing compared to the price of your MYP. Once Homelink is installed you'll forget all about the $300 and you'll drop the daily stress of wishing you had it!

This response reminds me of the other reason I'm sure I'll end up buying the $300 homelink. I always park inside our home's garage. When I had my Model S, I bet there were 3-4 times where I locked myself out of the house, and the Tesla app and homelink saved me a $200+ locksmith call. I simply pulled up the app, hit the homelink option and the Tesla opened my garage door for me, allowing me into the house.

No, just a dumb remote. Been pressing a visor button on my last 2 Bimmers so I don't find it a problem. If it was a free or affordable feature (which it should be IMO) I'd use it. Simply not worth $300 to me. My $15 remote would open your garage if you forgot your house key, too.

Lol. I would gladly pay $300 to retrofit Homelink into my Model S. I've been meaning to look into what it would take. I'm not going to bother with any major wiring changes, but if it's just a matter of plugging in some missing parts and asking Tesla service nicely to reprogram the car for it, that might be worthwhile.

I wish Homelink auto-close could be enabled without auto-open on the 3/Y. Can you do that on your S?

Yes $300 feels steep when it used to be standard on the 3/Y, but in the context of car options, I think you should just order the kit and move on. $300 is nothing compared to the price of your MYP. Once Homelink is installed you'll forget all about the $300 and you'll drop the daily stress of wishing you had it!
Fine....here's the $300. ;-)

• Funny
Reactions: tm1v2