Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Former muscle car owner - thoughts and opinions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before purchasing my M3, I was on this forum quite often. Thought I would give back and share my thoughts and opinion for any other folks considering an M3. I have a Red M3 LR AWD with white interior and 19's.

The background
I've always been a car guy. Some of my previous cars are WRX, BMW 335i, and my last car - 2015 Challenger SRT 392. The Challenger was a manual transmission and daily driver. I live in Canada and yes, I drove the Challenger in the winter.

My thoughts and opinions

Fuel savings
- Just did the calculation and the amount of fuel saved was way more than I originally planned. This is mainly due to the fact that we are using the M3 on the weekends as opposed to my wife's car. Of course for me, this is a huge savings coming from the Challenger but it makes a significant impact on the financials of this purchase

Driving experience - The M3 does not have the noise, interaction and thrill of the Challenger. The M3 is fast and handles well but it does not substitute the visceral feeling of driving the Challenger. Having said that, most of the time I drove the Challenger was on a straight line on a highway plus I'm getting old. In other words, although the noise was glorious at times, when it's 7 am and I'm heading off to work, it was a bit annoying.

Also on the driving experience, initially I found it quite boring. There really isn't anything to look at since there is only one screen. The car drives so effortlessly and with no drama. I have since become more used to this and I look around the surrounding more (since you can use autopilot) and also focus more on the podcasts/music.

The buying experience
- I've had read many posts about the challenges of customer service with this really fast growing company. If you want to buy anything from this company, be prepared to have the possibility of misinformation, delays and not being able to get a hold of a real person. They are trying but when the company is growing so quickly, items you take for granted when interacting with a traditional auto dealer may not hold true with Tesla. I purchased an inventory car at the beginning of December and long story short, I picked up my car on December 31st. There was no sense in complaining because quite frankly, if I didn't like it, they would have easily sold my car to someone else.

Winter range - I am currently experiencing about a 40% loss in range during the winter. It's not as bad as I thought. I do NOT hyper mile, I have the heater going, stereo playing and a drive the car "normally". I also have 19's wheels with winter tires but I also do a lot of highway driving.

One pedal driving - This is probably my most favourite feature of the car. Prior to purchasing the car, saw many videos of people raving about this but didn't really understand why. I still don't understand why I love this feature so much. Every time I have to use the brakes, it feels like SO much work. I had no idea I am so lazy.

Feeling good about the environment - This was NOT a reason at all of why I purchased the car however now that I have it, I have become more environmentally aware. Small things like watching the energy consumption at home and becoming more educated on climate change is a result of buying this car. I'm not going to march in any protests any time soon but I do feel like I'm making a contribution.

I hope this information will help someone in their purchase decision.

Thanks for sharing. My feelings about the car has been similar.

My biggest take aways:

I find it amazing that traffic no longer annoys me.

I to am saving a ton on fuel (last car was a Jeep Wrangler)

One pedal driving is sort of the best features of a manual transmission and a traditional automatic put together, although I did enjoy the physical skill of rev-matched downshifts with a manual... ...just not in traffic.

The car is just a better car. Not having a key, No start button. quick steering. easy user interface. netflix. games. streaming. Nimble, mid-engine handling, no body roll, autopilot. A lot of thought has gone in to the design of the car.

Is it perfect? No. But it is more perfect than a ton of cars I've owned.

All these points are undeniable. The one I most closely identify with is one pedal, along with the fantastic re-gen of course.

Next, watching the elec. bill more closely has informed me that running the washer mid-afternoon is wasteful, so I've started loading it, then just turning on at midnight. It's not a huge money savings, but an easy remedy, so why not.

So i have owned an Audi S4, BMW135i(full bolt on), VW GTI (chipped) and a Mustang GT ( full bolt on). The performance Model 3 I picked up just over a month ago blows them all out of the water....not even in the same league. I like to say it redefines what I think of as quick. Absolutely no drama. No wasted energy making noise, slipping sideways while your tires fight for traction. You floor it and you go like a bat out of hell straight down the road. Now i see a muscle car with a loud exhaust and as i watch him roar away from a stoplight i am amazed at how slow he is going for making so much noise. Its a waste really. All bark..... I don't miss the exhaust, don’t miss the shifting, don't miss the lag in action as i put my foot down and wait for the car to respond. I may not always own a Tesla from this point on, but I can’t see myself owning an ICE vehicle again. Unless its something like a backdraft racing cobra or a vintage bronco to tinker with. Absolutely has changed how I feel about automobiles.

The TM3 is faster than anything I’ve ever owned by a long shot but I definitely miss shifting and the sound/vibration of a high revving engine. I understand what you mean when you say it doesn’t have that visceral feeling... the acceleration is staggering but it’s almost too smooth and quiet.

Reactions: Dolemite
So i have owned an Audi S4, BMW135i(full bolt on), VW GTI (chipped) and a Mustang GT ( full bolt on). The performance Model 3 I picked up just over a month ago blows them all out of the water....not even in the same league. I like to say it redefines what I think of as quick. Absolutely no drama. No wasted energy making noise, slipping sideways while your tires fight for traction. You floor it and you go like a bat out of hell straight down the road. Now i see a muscle car with a loud exhaust and as i watch him roar away from a stoplight i am amazed at how slow he is going for making so much noise. Its a waste really. All bark..... I don't miss the exhaust, don’t miss the shifting, don't miss the lag in action as i put my foot down and wait for the car to respond. I may not always own a Tesla from this point on, but I can’t see myself owning an ICE vehicle again. Unless its something like a backdraft racing cobra or a vintage bronco to tinker with. Absolutely has changed how I feel about automobiles.

The P3D is just the ultimate road car. It just outruns everything effortlessly. In fact, nothing really plays with me anymore. Except pickup trucks...they are the most aggressive drivers of all :D

Come on everyone. Admit that the second your spouse says “we are out of milk”, you are out the door and heading to not necessarily the closest grocery store in the model 3 in a flash. Have had a Jaguar xk8 convertible (fun when it wasn’t in the shop) and wife has a 1998 bmw m3 convertible, but neither had that strong of a hop in and just drive feeling. Maybe it’s just curiosity factor from all the updates. Got my long range sleeper in late December also so hoping the feeling doesn’t wear off :)

All these points are undeniable. The one I most closely identify with is one pedal, along with the fantastic re-gen of course.

Next, watching the elec. bill more closely has informed me that running the washer mid-afternoon is wasteful, so I've started loading it, then just turning on at midnight. It's not a huge money savings, but an easy remedy, so why not.

Time-shifting FTW! If you have a timer, I recommend delaying the washing as late as you can while staying in the off-peak period, so the clothes won't be in the washing machine for as long before taking them out to dry/hang in the morning.

On the OP's post:

- Some people say that EVs can't be primary vehicles. But even if you don't want to take long trips in them, I say that your primary vehicles is the one that sees the most driving time. If the OP's Model 3 is the weekend car, it's the primary vehicle.
- I have wondered why electric utilities don't support EVs more aggressively. Maybe it's just regulation preventing them from doing so, or maybe it's the fear that owners will become more conscious and reduce their other consumption.

Last edited:
Reactions: Type 5
Running costs have been the biggest nice surprise for me.

We traded in my wifes car for a model 3 and I kept my good old merc 320 clk for long journeys. At least that was the original plan. Now after 4 months and 6000 miles the merc is just the spare and we always use the M3 for long journeys. With uk prices for diesel and off peak electricity the M3 costs one tenth per mile vs the diesel. More if we supercharge en route of course but still cheap.

Tyre costs, if we get say 25000 from a set, will be our highest variable cost per mile. About 1.5 times fuel cost. So, as I intend to run the M3 well over 100, 000 miles, enough to kill the trade in value of this and any car, I now see each short journey as costing a few pennies and long journeys a few pounds.

watching the energy consumption at home and becoming more educated on climate change is a result of buying this car
Now i see a muscle car with a loud exhaust and as i watch him roar away from a stoplight i am amazed at how slow he is going for making so much noise.
Is it perfect? No. But it is more perfect than a ton of cars I've owned.
You guys (and / or girls) have the right of it. EVs and Tesla fully FTW.

Reactions: raygduncan
For what it is worth:

I have had many cars including and 370Z convertible and most recently an Audi A4. The acceleration in my M3 AWD LR is amazing and to me, the silence is peaceful and refined. As satisfying as a growling engine can be, Porsche is moving to EV as the instant torque is undeniable.

I was told the M3 should/may run for 500k so I hope to have it for a while. With the constant updates and upgrade feature it is a fantastic choice for the long range and being my wife has a Mercedes SLK 350, it is an excellent “family” car.

Running costs are just so low! Because of work had a gap of 5 years going from Audi Sports Coupe's, to London underground only. Then because of my personal stance on CO2 held out for an eniro (fail), then Tesla M3 which was available by pure timing. Its now turned full circle while I admit the sound of a million dollar hyper car and F1 ( not so much in the hybrid era ) sound great. I find engine noise annoying and the instant power of an EV fast and smooth. I mean who doesn't give the guy revving his IC-engine at the line beside you a head start and then just as a quarter of his car passes you then you zip past. Testament really to Tesla M3 as a package is a great handling car. Yes agree with MMMM one pedal driving is fantastic and it feels like the car knows in sync with what you are doing with your foot car or no car in front on how strong that applies to me. Feeling good about the environment - Well that was a primary reason for me over performance when I needed a car again. When I look at how much control I have taken back from the oil industry by using electric instead of fuel I feel liberated, I do not hate them but I can now force a change. I can choose its sources that produce it as green as it gets from mother nature's wind :) In the future I would very much like to go solar too. I swear cars before the M3 wouldn't have a chance of dealing with the kind of instant torque an EV produces in the same price bracket. Not without significant upgrade costs.

The P3D is just the ultimate road car. It just outruns everything effortlessly. In fact, nothing really plays with me anymore. Except pickup trucks...they are the most aggressive drivers of all :D

This! Why do so many truck drivers feel the need to get aggressive with me when I’m driving my 3! I don’t get the thrill of burning through a gallon of gas to try to beat me off a line.

For the last week I have stepped back into the old paradigm with a rental Mustang GT. Brand new, I rolled out the rental lot gate with less than 5 miles on the odo. With respect, few brands have been managed better than the Mustang - except for a slight burp with the Mustang II. I came next to a 64 1/2 Mustang in traffic in Encinitas. Couldn't help but notice the strength of the design DNA. The cars showed an obvious lineage. I was a senior in HS when that car was introduced, so I was living a large dose of nostalgia.

What has always been a signature of the Mustang, and Ford V-8's in general, is the visceral and identifying sound of these engines. Ford owns the V8 like Harley owns the 45 degree, single crank, V-Twin. Rumble rumble, potato potato, the sounds may as well be patented. I have always loved both...until now. The first time I had a chance to jump on the GT I patiently waited for the 10-speed to drop down a few cogs, and then - what a racket - much commotion with the onset of thrust. My M3 would have been well out in front - and serenely so. To be fair, selecting 'S' mode on the shifter eliminated most of the delay but, still, what a racket.

On balance, I have enjoyed stepping back into the Pony car experience, but I'm really missing my M3. It just goes to prove what I have often thought to myself. When it comes to cars, the 'Good Old Days' weren't really that good.