Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Former muscle car owner - thoughts and opinions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've noticed turbo diesel truck drivers seem to get the most pissed when they discover you are faster than them.
Sometimes it's just your very existence that triggers them. I've had several "coal rolling" experiences, and I had done absolutely nothing to instigate it.

The most dangerous was a guy on an Interstate freeway that past me quickly, jumped directly in front of my car (missing my front fender by inches), then slammed on his brakes while simultaneously releasing huge clouds of black smoke. He did this several times until I was able to get to an (unplanned) freeway exit to get away from him. He nearly caused several accidents in the process. After the last time he did it, I gunned it to get to that exit... there was no way he would've kept up with me. So he put me in the awkward position of having to drive at excessive speed in order to lessen the danger to other drivers.

Wish I woulda had the presence of mind to hit the camera icon and save the footage of it. The camera had a great view of his license plate during all four events.

I don't know if camera footage is enough to cite a guy for reckless driving (which here in Utah carries a very stiff penalty), but it would've at least been entertaining to show to my cop buddy.

Sometimes it's just your very existence that triggers them. I've had several "coal rolling" experiences, and I had done absolutely nothing to instigate it.

The most dangerous was a guy on an Interstate freeway that past me quickly, jumped directly in front of my car (missing my front fender by inches), then slammed on his brakes while simultaneously releasing huge clouds of black smoke. He did this several times until I was able to get to an (unplanned) freeway exit to get away from him. He nearly caused several accidents in the process. After the last time he did it, I gunned it to get to that exit... there was no way he would've kept up with me. So he put me in the awkward position of having to drive at excessive speed in order to lessen the danger to other drivers.

Wish I woulda had the presence of mind to hit the camera icon and save the footage of it. The camera had a great view of his license plate during all four events.

I don't know if camera footage is enough to cite a guy for reckless driving (which here in Utah carries a very stiff penalty), but it would've at least been entertaining to show to my cop buddy.

Crazy. I had one yell out his window "nice hippie mobile" and flipped me off. I started laughing uncontrollably and that made him even more mad. This is in orange county where EVs are everywhere.

Reactions: Tron 3
I have had many muscle cars in the day. Still have an SRT8 and wife drives the extended Escalade (I call it the school bus). I have never regularly driven downtown to work for 20+ years (take the GO Train to downtown Toronto). I now almost always drive to work and find reasonable parking (many with with free charging). Almost bought the RS7 performance until I test drove the Tesla. I have zero regrets and also look for reasons to go driving. Now we do family trips/outings in the Tesla and I would sell the Escalade if I didn't have to tow a large boat.

On balance, I have enjoyed stepping back into the Pony car experience, but I'm really missing my M3. It just goes to prove what I have often thought to myself. When it comes to cars, the 'Good Old Days' weren't really that good.
You and I must be the same age. I agree. But I'd still like to lay my hands on a '69 Chevelle with a 396 or 454. So: It could be me with a Tesla Model S, a raucous Chevelle and my subscription to Mopar Action. (It may be time to book a psychiatric appointment. I think I may have issues).

Reactions: Phlier
I have had many muscle cars in the day. Still have an SRT8 and wife drives the extended Escalade (I call it the school bus). I have never regularly driven downtown to work for 20+ years (take the GO Train to downtown Toronto). I now almost always drive to work and find reasonable parking (many with with free charging). Almost bought the RS7 performance until I test drove the Tesla. I have zero regrets and also look for reasons to go driving. Now we do family trips/outings in the Tesla and I would sell the Escalade if I didn't have to tow a large boat.

My friend is visiting and owns an RS7. He had no idea what the Model 3 Performance was. I did a 0-60 test for him and he was blown away. He couldn’t believe it. He said his next car is going to be a Tesla.

My friend is visiting and owns an RS7. He had no idea what the Model 3 Performance was. I did a 0-60 test for him and he was blown away. He couldn’t believe it. He said his next car is going to be a Tesla.

I ran with a friend's RS7 the other day. Sweet car. The M3P just pips it up to about 90 mph, at which point the RS7 draws even then eventually away...

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
I ran with a friend's RS7 the other day. Sweet car. The M3P just pips it up to about 90 mph, at which point the RS7 draws even then eventually away...
Yes no doubt overall it will dominate the MP3. He was sold because of how flawlessly it everytime, doesn’t cause you worry about what may break on the car if you keep doing it light after light, and he rarely if ever drives past that kind of high speeds. I’m thinking he should get the P100D to replace the RS7. That will be a great car to switch into.

What sort of fantasy car is scheduled for bi-annual maintenance?

For most of my ICE owning career service intervals were often 7500 miles (the engine oil ads tell you 3000) so driving the average 14k a year is pretty close.
Service intervals do seem to be climbing, maybe some better tech, maybe once some manufacturers starting including the first 3 years service for free and the cost was on them.

Oh and MMMM I just rotated my tires and washed my wheels and there’s so much less brake dust with regenerative braking.

Last edited:

Yes, just have to send the footage to the DMV. If you can find out their insurance company, would be great to send a copy of the footage there too. Maybe their premium would go up, as it should.