Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Former muscle car owner - thoughts and opinions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Driving experience - The M3 does not have the noise, interaction and thrill of the Challenger. The M3 is fast and handles well but it does not substitute the visceral feeling of driving the Challenger. Having said that, most of the time I drove the Challenger was on a straight line on a highway plus I'm getting old. In other words, although the noise was glorious at times, when it's 7 am and I'm heading off to work, it was a bit annoying.
god so much this.

when the STi is properly modded, it sings.

but when that b* is cold, i'm pretty sure my neighbors wanted to murder me

Reactions: Arctic_White
There are a few of us around who prefer how quiet the P3D is compared to the performance cars we’ve previously owned. I don’t miss my big turbo 335i at all. As someone who grew up drag racing both German and Japanese imports, I’m pretty sure I’ll be buying American made EVs from here on out.

Sometimes it's just your very existence that triggers them. I've had several "coal rolling" experiences, and I had done absolutely nothing to instigate it.

The most dangerous was a guy on an Interstate freeway that past me quickly, jumped directly in front of my car (missing my front fender by inches), then slammed on his brakes while simultaneously releasing huge clouds of black smoke. He did this several times until I was able to get to an (unplanned) freeway exit to get away from him. He nearly caused several accidents in the process. After the last time he did it, I gunned it to get to that exit... there was no way he would've kept up with me. So he put me in the awkward position of having to drive at excessive speed in order to lessen the danger to other drivers.

Wish I woulda had the presence of mind to hit the camera icon and save the footage of it. The camera had a great view of his license plate during all four events.

I don't know if camera footage is enough to cite a guy for reckless driving (which here in Utah carries a very stiff penalty), but it would've at least been entertaining to show to my cop buddy.

If nothing else, you would have a video record of the event with the recorded license place. In my state you can make a complaint to the Clean Air Board, they will contact the vehicle owner for an emissions inspection - the vehicle is probably modified and not in compliance - it makes for lots of problems for the owner. It may be different where you live.
Also, the State Patrol does not take kindly to aggressive driving and would gladly make contact with the owner. All of these are “Fun” ways to respond to someone in a socially responsible way that will ruin their day with out endangering their lives - which shows much more respect for them than they had for you.

Reactions: Phlier
I couldn’t agree with you more... the Teslas are absolutely a revolution in what car ownership and driving means. I’d been dying to buy a Tesla since I first saw them near the end of 2012 or early 2013. I live in San Francisco, so they were everywhere, and seeing them all over just made me want one even more. I finally went and drove a Model S and fell in love with it. I decided to buy a used MS from Tesla (not 3rd party) and my ICE car hasn’t seen a mile since July 2019. I was worried that some hidden drawback to an EV would make me need to fall back on my ICE car, but it’s been all smooth sailing, and I’m getting ready to take my SUV and either CarFax it or trade it in on a new M3 LR AWD. I love the MS, and will keep it for pleasure driving, but Bay Area traffic and 40 mile (one way) commutes are winning me over to the higher efficiency of the M3 and the luxury of AP/FSD (my MS is pre-AP).

I love it that I can leave most cars in my dust with my MS, but if I drive ”nice,” it costs me 1/4 of what gas in my ICE SUV used to cost me.

EV4EVR here...

Come on everyone. Admit that the second your spouse says “we are out of milk”, you are out the door and heading to not necessarily the closest grocery store in the model 3 in a flash. Have had a Jaguar xk8 convertible (fun when it wasn’t in the shop) and wife has a 1998 bmw m3 convertible, but neither had that strong of a hop in and just drive feeling. Maybe it’s just curiosity factor from all the updates. Got my long range sleeper in late December also so hoping the feeling doesn’t wear off :)
Don't have a spouse, but am raising teenage grandchildren and IF I have to drive them somewhere it's OK with me. Went to Costco yesterday during the Super Bowl as I knew the traffic on the road and the in the store would be low. EVERY TIME I think about having to go somewhere, "OH, GOOD, I get to drive my Tesla!" pops into my head. I have had my M3 for 14 months and tomorrow I will hit 23,000 miles.
- Autopilot is heaven!! I can clap to the music coming from the awesome speakers 90 miles of my 94 mile daily trip.
- When I actually have to drive, it is the most amazing experience. I have instant control and speed! So easy to drive.
- The trunk holds an amazing amount of stuff! It held almost ALL of my $475 worth of stuff from Costco.
- The ONLY service I have had in 24,000 miles is rotating tires twice and filling the windshield washer fluid.
- Drove my Highlander week before last and filled up half a tank of gas...$29.95. That would have cost $5 in electricity in my Tesla.

Tesla doesn't need to advertise on TV to increase sales. The owners ARE the salespeople! All those people who watch me clap while they have to keep their hands on the steering wheel are thinking....hmmmm, maybe I will get a Tesla!

At 64, I'm from that generation of sweet American muscle cars and had always lusted after one. Mother-in-law died 25 years ago and gave me her '66 Mustang coupe that I did oil changes on for her.
So I finally had a project car, and subsequently tore it down and restored it. Rebuilt engine with everything short of a full race cam. Shelby GT suspension and a shift kit in the trans. At last, I had the car I had wanted since I was 16.
I loved that car! I never put a sound system in it or even hooked up the AM radio. The exhaust note was pure music to me. Now there is 12,000 miles on the model 3 and the Mustang has a thick layer of dust on it. I only drove it in the summer and didn't even start it last year.

I don't miss the noise - at all. I never saw that coming. Another unanticipated change is that I can't look at an exhaust pipe in traffic and not see the ass-end of a mechanical monstrosity. I don't miss being enslaved by the petroleum industry either.
Another realization is when I see all the brake lights in traffic, There are all of these multi-ton hunks of metal in motion wasting all of that potential energy by turning it into heat at the expense of their brakes. It feels very cool to be pumping a lot of that energy back into the battery. I also like driving the safest car ever made.

The fact that the Tesla made the Mustang feel slow eased the transition considerably! I will never own another ICE car. They all feel broken to me now.

Pseudo high performance cars have contaminated owners into believing that to be fast...you must sound fast.

ICE manufacturers are aware of this and use this to sell more cars. They make the cars sound like they are fast, and the fools believe they are magnificant fast drivers, when in reality they are so much slower than a silent EV it makes them act like idiots.

Some very loud cars, with fart can exhausts will barely break 6 seconds. Running through the gears (slowly) makes their gullible owners believe they are racing car fast, when in reality they are no quicker than a well silenced compariable quiet car.

See this all the time, with loud cars pealing out from local cars and coffee. They never really attain any speed, and often lose control and spin out. Idiots.

They also slam shifts, believing this also makes their cars blindingly fast. Reality is that it mostly just shocks the drive lines and chirps the tires. Not measurably faster. Most modern automatics are much quicker, but without all the macho drama poop.

Car companies know that they can make additional profits by offering louder and more expensive exhausts on their cars. While not making them significantly quicker, and much more irritating to those around them, they continue to do so to glean additional $ from the useful idiots.

I know this first hand. Used to race Corvettes and Vipers with side pipes. Fooled myself into believing they were quick. but Tesla has given me fresh vision. I know now that electric drive responds so much quicker to throttle than any ICE. No longer need to take time to grab a lower gear or wait for the automatic to downshift. No clutch to disengage and slip back out to make the car go quickly forward.

Even race drivers understand the fatigue that loud motors and exhausts do to performance over time. Severly degrades endurance and clouds judgement. Most long stint drivers will wear earplugs underneath their helmets to give them an edge against the deflation over time.

With a quiet car, you can hear the tires on pavement, the sound of other cars around you, etc.

Pseudo high performance cars have contaminated owners into believing that to be fast...you must sound fast.

ICE manufacturers are aware of this and use this to sell more cars. They make the cars sound like they are fast, and the fools believe they are magnificant fast drivers, when in reality they are so much slower than a silent EV it makes them act like idiots.

Some very loud cars, with fart can exhausts will barely break 6 seconds. Running through the gears (slowly) makes their gullible owners believe they are racing car fast, when in reality they are no quicker than a well silenced compariable quiet car.

See this all the time, with loud cars pealing out from local cars and coffee. They never really attain any speed, and often lose control and spin out. Idiots.

They also slam shifts, believing this also makes their cars blindingly fast. Reality is that it mostly just shocks the drive lines and chirps the tires. Not measurably faster. Most modern automatics are much quicker, but without all the macho drama poop.

Car companies know that they can make additional profits by offering louder and more expensive exhausts on their cars. While not making them significantly quicker, and much more irritating to those around them, they continue to do so to glean additional $ from the useful idiots.

I know this first hand. Used to race Corvettes and Vipers with side pipes. Fooled myself into believing they were quick. but Tesla has given me fresh vision. I know now that electric drive responds so much quicker to throttle than any ICE. No longer need to take time to grab a lower gear or wait for the automatic to downshift. No clutch to disengage and slip back out to make the car go quickly forward.

Even race drivers understand the fatigue that loud motors and exhausts do to performance over time. Severly degrades endurance and clouds judgement. Most long stint drivers will wear earplugs underneath their helmets to give them an edge against the deflation over time.

With a quiet car, you can hear the tires on pavement, the sound of other cars around you, etc.

You sound really traumatized.

Have you considered that people enjoy the sonic aspect of the motoring experience? Or that they enjoy shifting a lever for the involvement of operating a car, not to make it faster than a DCT?

Or that maybe the idiot is the one who values speed over everything else?

I understand how people have been conditioned to believe that a faster sounding car is really going faster. That the joy they get from shifting a car by themselves really makes the car perform better than a modern performance dual clutch transmission.

It has been beaten into our brains that it is better...because we move the levers, or cut baffles out of the muffler, but modern cars do not really gain much with all this stuff. All the fastest racing cars (except maybe dying NASCAR) have switched to faster computerized shifting. Cars don't really need to be noisy to go fast (exceptmay be dragsters)

Not saying that doing so is not fun, but simply that it is mostly wasted effort in being truly faster.

Believe the legacy manufacturers will put phoney "speed" noises into their EV's to continue the brain washing.

Mazda used to claim that their cars were faster because they went "Zoom-Zoom" Childish.

I understand how people have been conditioned to believe that a faster sounding car is really going faster. That the joy they get from shifting a car by themselves really makes the car perform better than a modern performance dual clutch transmission.

It has been beaten into our brains that it is better...because we move the levers, or cut baffles out of the muffler, but modern cars do not really gain much with all this stuff. All the fastest racing cars (except maybe dying NASCAR) have switched to faster computerized shifting. Cars don't really need to be noisy to go fast (exceptmay be dragsters)

Not saying that doing so is not fun, but simply that it is mostly wasted effort in being truly faster.

Believe the legacy manufacturers will put phoney "speed" noises into their EV's to continue the brain washing.

Mazda used to claim that their cars were faster because they went "Zoom-Zoom" Childish.
You couldn't have picked a worse example. Mazda's Zoom Zoom campaign was about celebrating the joy of driving. Their brand has never been about positioning themselves as the fastest of anything. As if you couldn't tell, the most celebrated of all their cars, and the embodiment of their company, is a MIATA.

Here it is in their own words: Why Zoom-Zoom? | Mazda New Zealand

For every 1 person who chases after a "loud fart can", another 20 disapproves. But you keep insisting that every single person is foolishly chasing after that 1/10th of a second? Like Ferrari owners installing Tubi exhaust because they don't think their cars are fast enough?

Whatever koolaid you drank, don't assume everyone else is sipping on the same juice

You couldn't have picked a worse example. Mazda's Zoom Zoom campaign was about celebrating the joy of driving. Their brand has never been about positioning themselves as the fastest of anything. As if you couldn't tell, the most celebrated of all their cars, and the embodiment of their company, is a MIATA.

Here it is in their own words: Why Zoom-Zoom? | Mazda New Zealand

For every 1 person who chases after a "loud fart can", another 20 disapproves. But you keep insisting that every single person is foolishly chasing after that 1/10th of a second? Like Ferrari owners installing Tubi exhaust because they don't think their cars are fast enough?

Whatever koolaid you drank, don't assume everyone else is sipping on the same juice

Um... this does not sound like Zoom-zoom fun.

Mazda’s MX-30 EV Is Deliberately Slow And Has Low Range On Purpose

0 to 60 is a key part of Zoom zoom fun, along with handling. Slow 0 to 60 (on EV standard) = DOA.

had 3 convertibles all at same time (1991 Miata with 150k miles mint condition, 1997 Jaguar xk8 mint condition when it worked, 1998 bmw m3 turbo charged). All brought smile to my face while driving but the Miata with its 9.6 second 0-60 had that ride on rails handling that made it a joy to drive...and the only car I found myself mouthing the words zoom zoom in while driving on curvy roads. I did take the bmw through many mountain roads, enuf to even get myself green around the gills, and the jaguar I did have to stop and let my wife throw up after driving through the smokies, but each had different smile factors. If the new Mazda has the nimble handling of that Miata and really good pricing I can see it becoming very attractive to current Miata owners...they aren’t really known for being long distance cars anyway. I drove mine from MN to Florida without cruise control and that was not a fun drive.

Now, as to zoom zoom. Would really be nice to have a zoom zoom sign you can plaster on your side window whenever a car starts gunning their engine next to your Tesla. Been happening a lot lately. Might just be short sellers pissed off at the stock though :)

These Tesla forums are too much sometimes. This is the only car forum I’ve ever been on where every single thread praising anything about other cars has to be attacked as if it were a virus in the body. It’s kind of a trip and slightly cultish IMO.

It’s OK to love the model 3 but admit that it is not the greatest car in every imaginable way or that the sound and feel of rolling through the gears of a performance ICE car with a well tuned exhaust can’t be duplicated by a silent single gear EV.