Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Former muscle car owner - thoughts and opinions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used to have a '68 Mustang 302 small block.

you name it, everything under the sun has been modified on that car - expect for supercharging.
pistons, crank, oil sump, suspension, tires, rear end, pinon gears, transmission on and on....

It was one hell of a spicy car, not like the modern jag or bmw where they pop and burble on deceleration - not that digital controlled stuff.
That car flat out was setting off bombs after each hard WOT (wide open throttle). But wow did that car break down every season and constantly adjusting the carb was a PIA.

I could never trade in the Tesla for another vintage muscle car...ever
I'm not even interested in owning a vintage muscle car as a weekend toy

• Love
Reactions: MichaelP90DL
I used to have a '68 Mustang 302 small block.

you name it, everything under the sun has been modified on that car - expect for supercharging.
pistons, crank, oil sump, suspension, tires, rear end, pinon gears, transmission on and on....

It was one hell of a spicy car, not like the modern jag or bmw where they pop and burble on deceleration - not that digital controlled stuff.
That car flat out was setting off bombs after each hard WOT (wide open throttle). But wow did that car break down every season and constantly adjusting the carb was a PIA.

I could never trade in the Tesla for another vintage muscle car...ever
I'm not even interested in owning a vintage muscle car as a weekend toy
I have thought about this and its down to either a Backdraft racing Cobra replica, or a first gen Bronco. I had a ‘69 Half-cab Bronco and its the only vehicle that i ever regret selling. I would not get rid of the Tesla, just something to wrench on over the weekend and take to car shows every once in a while

Reactions: Noodles
I have thought about this and its down to either a Backdraft racing Cobra replica, or a first gen Bronco. I had a ‘69 Half-cab Bronco and its the only vehicle that i ever regret selling. I would not get rid of the Tesla, just something to wrench on over the weekend and take to car shows every once in a while

I have a Galaxie with a modern independent chassis, Mustang GT engine and 10 speed transmission. I wanted a fun driver car. Building a 900hp engine to compete with my P100D seems silly. There will always be someone faster - I want to have a goofy in love smile when I go for a drive.

I totally understand! Some guys just need to turn a wrench it's relaxing - or just keeps the mind busy by doing stuff

I used to have a Lime Rock 2013 BMW M3. Bright orange and fully loaded.

I like the Model 3 alot more than that BMW. I can floor it and it doesn't struggle like the BMW M3 did. Recharging at home so I never have to waste time at a gas station since most commutes are local. May not have the prestige of that BMW M3 that motorheads / gearheads like, but I personally think electric are alot more comfortable and accelerates much nicer than a gas based sports car.

I thought I was gonna just like BMW / Mercedes better, but after I test drove my first Tesla Model 3 at a car show, it felt like a game changing car even though most people may not think much of it since you see them everywhere now.

I wish Tesla would consider swaggy interiors and more detailed exteriors like BMW or Mercedes. But someone hear said Tesla interiors are more plain b/c Elon Musk likes things more simple, not fancy. I wish Tesla one day could be in a rap video or Fast in the Furious.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlindPass
I’ve gone from 93 Ford Probe (some Mazda 3 time here) to 2007 heavily modified Audi S4, and recently got my Metallic Silver 2018 P3+ 1 month ago. I buy all my cars used and tend to drive them until they die. This Tesla is easily the most fun to drive and coolest thing I ever bought. I think back fondly to the Dolphin Killer (S4 with 15mpg) but can now never go back. My friend who drove the car home with me from Portland drives a 3 Series BMW and he now hates it. Assuming I My Tesla until it dies, any guesses how long this car will last me? I think I’ll average 10k miles a year but I also face the harsh MN winters.

Nice thread... Mine should be here in a month or hopefully less.

But coming from a muscle/sports car background myself. Owned a 69 and a 2010 Camaro SS, a Mazdaspeed3, VW GTI, Mini Cooper S, a few integra's in the late 90's early 2000's... And loved working on them and adding toys to make them quicker.

So when I was looking for something new, an electric car wasn't on my list. I've owned one hybrid and that was a Prius I traded my 2010 camaro for when I was driving 100 miles a day 6 days a week for work and it wasn't making a good commuter in winter in Colorado (I tried). And it was a perfectly adequate... completely dead ride.

Anyways, I like my hot hatches for practical fun cars, and kept looking there (WRX, a newer GTI, Focus ST/RS, etc...) and the Model 3 just kept ticking all the practicality boxes along with the fun to drive factor. A couple drives in one and talking with a few owners I met along with a LOT of research online and I was sold.