Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Formula E - Season 2, 2015/16

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Following a pretty good first season Formula E has attracted new teams and drivers for the upcoming season. Found this interesting video on the various sounds the cars produce through their various motors and gearboxes:

These cars are looking pretty cool IMO:
trulli9-1-.jpg

Official website for the series is here. Season opener is on October 17th in Beijing.

If you missed it last year here are the best bits:

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. Looks like Fox Sports will cover the races again this year also.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really enjoyed the first season. I hope that this season they do a better job designing track layouts. Narrow corners were a big issue this past year. In many corners and chicanes it was impossible to pass because there just wasn't space to go two wide which also caused a ton of crashes on the first lap or two of races.

I'm really looking forward to see how the different motor and transmission setups work for the different teams. In another video teams talked about having 1, 4, or 5 speed gearboxes, and one driver implied that some teams are using a two motor setup instead of one. Some drivers were having to slow to manage motor heat last year, so even though they're still power limited by the battery it could make a difference.

I really hope that next year they open battery development to the teams and either greatly increase or give unlimited power usage per car, as well as stop using a series spec tire. The tire is very low grip, which is fine for now since the drivers are really having to meter out the 28kwh they're allowed for each stint. I'd love to see that bumped p to 35-40 kwh next year, which would make for a huge performance boost.

So anxious for Oct 17th!! Really interested to see what the teams can do with their motors. But as thelastdeadmouse said, hoping for open battery development next year ... or at least pack swapping. The car swapping is going to confuse a lot of new fans.

I sure wish they'd bring Formula E to CotA, soon. The track is amazing for something like this.

I really enjoy Formula E so I'm not trying to be down on it, but I suspect that the reason they're not racing on any normal tracks in that the cars are much much slower compared to other open wheel racers, and they don't want to do a 4 minute lap somewhere where a formula one car did a sub two minute lap the same year.

The Model 3 reveal is also the week of the formula e race in long beach. I've been contemplating going again this year (to the Formula E race). It was fun last year. Perhaps I drive down Thursday and then that night finagle (sp?) my way into the launch event if it's in Hawthorn. If not, find a service center on Friday in order to place my deposit. Racing on Saturday and then head home Sunday.

I really enjoy Formula E so I'm not trying to be down on it, but I suspect that the reason they're not racing on any normal tracks in that the cars are much much slower compared to other open wheel racers, and they don't want to do a 4 minute lap somewhere where a formula one car did a sub two minute lap the same year.

They're also keen to attract new fans, and want to take advantage of the relative quiet that allows them easily to run in a city.

Here's some good news for racing fans: Mercedes to quit DTM after 2018, confirms Formula E entry

Mercedes to quit DTM after 2018, confirms Formula E entry
Toto Wolff: "Electrification is happening in the road car world and Formula E offers manufacturers an interesting platform to bring this technology to a new audience - and to do so with a completely new kind of racing, different to any other series."

Formula E CEO Alejandro Agag commented: "Today is a great day as we welcome Mercedes to the Formula E family - adding to the increasing number of manufacturers joining the electric revolution."

"This shows how much the world is changing, not only in motorsport, but the whole automotive industry. We’re witnessing a transformation that will first change our cities, and then our roads."