TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Formula E - Season 2, 2015/16

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by NigelM, Aug 15, 2015.

1. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

#1 NigelM, Aug 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Following a pretty good first season Formula E has attracted new teams and drivers for the upcoming season. Found this interesting video on the various sounds the cars produce through their various motors and gearboxes:

These cars are looking pretty cool IMO:
    trulli9-1-.jpg

Official website for the series is here. Season opener is on October 17th in Beijing.

If you missed it last year here are the best bits:

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. Looks like Fox Sports will cover the races again this year also.

2. jdbob

jdbob Member

I hope the race coverage for Season 2 will still be available on Youtube like it was for Season 1.

3. thelastdeadmouse

I really enjoyed the first season. I hope that this season they do a better job designing track layouts. Narrow corners were a big issue this past year. In many corners and chicanes it was impossible to pass because there just wasn't space to go two wide which also caused a ton of crashes on the first lap or two of races.

I'm really looking forward to see how the different motor and transmission setups work for the different teams. In another video teams talked about having 1, 4, or 5 speed gearboxes, and one driver implied that some teams are using a two motor setup instead of one. Some drivers were having to slow to manage motor heat last year, so even though they're still power limited by the battery it could make a difference.

I really hope that next year they open battery development to the teams and either greatly increase or give unlimited power usage per car, as well as stop using a series spec tire. The tire is very low grip, which is fine for now since the drivers are really having to meter out the 28kwh they're allowed for each stint. I'd love to see that bumped p to 35-40 kwh next year, which would make for a huge performance boost.

4. Oil4AsphaultOnly

So anxious for Oct 17th!! Really interested to see what the teams can do with their motors. But as thelastdeadmouse said, hoping for open battery development next year ... or at least pack swapping. The car swapping is going to confuse a lot of new fans.

5. nwdiver

nwdiver Active Member

Anybody from TMC going to watch the race in Long Beach in April?

6. wart

wart Member

#6 wart, Jan 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
    I plan on being there. I went to the Long Beach race last year and really enjoyed it.

UPDATE:

Admission was free last year, but apparently not this year. Early bird pricing currently available - $35 (USD) for entrance with pit walk.

Tickets - Official FIA Formula E Championship

7. Caligula

Caligula Member

Awesome, I had no idea this was a thing!

8. physicsfita

physicsfita Member

I'm bummed that there's no Miami race this year -- I could have just made the road trip barely fit in to my schedule. Don't think I can pull off a trip to the other side of the country...

9. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

I sure wish they'd bring Formula E to CotA, soon. The track is amazing for something like this.

10. thelastdeadmouse

I really enjoy Formula E so I'm not trying to be down on it, but I suspect that the reason they're not racing on any normal tracks in that the cars are much much slower compared to other open wheel racers, and they don't want to do a 4 minute lap somewhere where a formula one car did a sub two minute lap the same year.

11. RubberToe

RubberToe Supporting the greater good

It's my understanding that every race will also be preceded by an autonomous vehicle race. I'll be attending the Long Beach race.

RT

12. jdbob

jdbob Member

Not until next season. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roborace

13. palmer_md

palmer_md Member

The Model 3 reveal is also the week of the formula e race in long beach. I've been contemplating going again this year (to the Formula E race). It was fun last year. Perhaps I drive down Thursday and then that night finagle (sp?) my way into the launch event if it's in Hawthorn. If not, find a service center on Friday in order to place my deposit. Racing on Saturday and then head home Sunday.

14. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

They're also keen to attract new fans, and want to take advantage of the relative quiet that allows them easily to run in a city.