Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Formula one should ditch the internal combustion engine

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Did you mean DC/AC converter?"

Technically the controller is a "dc/ac converter" also. This is usually called the inverter. Nearly all production EVs use AC motors (conversions typically use DC), thus requiring nearly all production EVs to also use inverters.

Everything TEG said was right; I'm just clarifying that the controller could also be called a dc/ac converter, but it nearly always is called an inverter. The inverter and the dc/dc converter are two entirely different things.

"Did you mean DC/AC converter?"

Technically the controller is a "dc/ac converter" also. This is usually called the inverter. Nearly all production EVs use AC motors (conversions typically use DC), thus requiring nearly all production EVs to also use inverters.

Everything TEG said was right; I'm just clarifying that the controller could also be called a dc/ac converter, but it nearly always is called an inverter. The inverter and the dc/dc converter are two entirely different things.

Thanks for the clarification.

-Shark2k

Awesome I'm glad some one is actually starting to realize how great EV's would be for racing and racing for them.

I'm not sure how easy that LCD would be to read during a race. In addition to that, I'd add a standard cable driven speedometer.

This is actually typical for a race display. Speedometers are useless in a race, a tachometer is what you want. I guess in an electric one speed race car that would be useless too so all you would need is a way to monitor your vitals.

So what would the vitals be with an electric car? I'm guessing battery level and tire pressure, but what else? I guess battery temperature even though they would more than likely make it so that shouldn't be a big deal. I don't watch racing so I can't think of many vitals for an ICE racer besides oil, gas, tires, brakes and stuff like that. Obviously gas and oil wouldn't be of concern for an EV racer. I'm just curious as to what other vitals there could be with an EV.

-Shark2k

Check out these modern F1 steering wheel controls!
83d5bf3272cca09baf1cb4ab3a4d298b.jpe

bmw-f1-wheel.jpg

Toyota_F1_steering_wheel.jpg

williams6_470_470x313.jpg

Many an exciting race has been won and lost by the choice of taking or not taking that last fuel stop.

With just a few laps left, one car with readout saying the car is just about empty decides to pull in for a few gallons of fuel.

The tenseness of the driver who opted to try and make it (usually driving conservatively if he has lead enough that can get away with it) creates racing drama.

These decisions also get played out if a last lap accident on the course causes a yellow flag situation where the cars have to go around more laps at a reduced speed while the track is cleaned.

There will be charge versions of the same thing.

Last edited:
From what I have seen it is actually harder to get an accurate "Distance to Empty" gauge on an EV than it is to have an accurate fuel gauge on an ICE car. Calculating remaining range and showing it in an intuitive to read way is one of the most important things to do on an EV dashboard.

Also, if they have to resort to reduced performance near the bottom of charge they should indicate (somehow) when this happens.

I just noticed in that picture they seem to have a large amount of gear reduction going on. 2 sets of sprockets and chains. Though I can't see the second smaller sprocket and I guess since there seems to be no transmission or geared differential the final drive ratio may not be that radical :confused:

Wow that brings back memories. I spent 10 years racing one of these on the West coast. It's a good choice for an EV conversion and it's great the SCCA has allowed the conversion. It's a near commodity car, with lots of them around, plenty of space in the bulkheads and a weight limit that was always too low anyway. I would love to get back in with this new drivetrain but I have now moved on.

I can dig up a picture if anyone cares.

Met my wife at the track though!

Wow that brings back memories. I spent 10 years racing one of these on the West coast. It's a good choice for an EV conversion and it's great the SCCA has allowed the conversion. It's a near commodity car, with lots of them around, plenty of space in the bulkheads and a weight limit that was always too low anyway. I would love to get back in with this new drivetrain but I have now moved on.

I can dig up a picture if anyone cares.

Met my wife at the track though!

I suspect a direct correlation between "I have now moved on" and "Met my wife at the track". :smile: