Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Formula One Stratos Window Tint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went with formula one pinnacle -70/30 including 30 on the sun roof.

They didn’t have the stratos in wide sheets to do the back window single piece. Said stratos and pinnacle look identical and offered to mix, but I just went pinnacle.

Roof is a bit dark, but not bad.

Edit - this was our 3. Out stratos on the S. Have not had the 3 in summer heat to compare yet.
I doubt you will notice much difference. If you compared Pinnacle to photo sync then you might feel it, but the difference between Pinnacle and stratos does not appear to be very much. I believe Stratos is a thicker film than Pinnacle. Prices I was quoted for rear and side windows combined with ratings I looked up online (However the LLUMAR guys say Stratos still blocks more heat than Crystaline?):

Tint 35% VLT = 32 (29% after darkening) | TSER = 79 … TSER = Spectra Photosync SPH35 ($1100)
Tint 40% VLT = 39 | TSER = 60 … 3M Crystalline 40 ($650 - two piece rear)
Tint 30% VLT = 33 | TSER = 56 … Formula One Pinnacle 30 ($700)
Tint 35% VLT = 38 | TSER = 55 ... Formula One Pinnacle 35 ($700
Tint 30% VLT = 32 | TSER = 59 ... Formula One Stratos 30 ($900)
Tint 35% VLT = 39 | TSER = 58 ... Formula One Stratos 35 ($900)
Tint 35% VLT = 34 | TSER = 43 … Solar Guard Ultra Performace 30 ($550 ish)

http://cdn.llumar.com/drupal/formulaoneautomotivespecifications2018september.pdf

Spectra PhotoSync® | Prestige

https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/662303O/3mtm-crystalline-automotive-window-films-brochure.pdf

These specs are the reason I ended up with photosync. I was going to just do Pinnacle because it was hard to justify the price difference between Pinnacle and Stratos, except that the shop didn't do Pinnacle on one piece or they didn't have the darkness I was looking at (I can't remember which). Price difference was about $200 which I was going to pay to get what I wanted. Then to step up to Photosync it was like another $200 where the price difference was more warranted due to the 21% jump in heat rejection performance. Hmm maybe this will be more noticeable. Just looking at the numbers, it seemss Pinnacle should be just fine, unless they can't do the once piece rear. Stratos is a little better, but probably not worth $200 difference from performance alone. Photosync changes color a bit when left in
the sun (the reason for the second number).
Hope this helps!

I went with formula one pinnacle -70/30 including 30 on the sun roof.

They didn’t have the stratos in wide sheets to do the back window single piece. Said stratos and pinnacle look identical and offered to mix, but I just went pinnacle.

Roof is a bit dark, but not bad.

Edit - this was our 3. Out stratos on the S. Have not had the 3 in summer heat to compare yet.

Thanks! I look at 35 in store. It seems not very dark. But the pictures Indy3 posted (40), it seems darker than I expected. Since I live in Los Angeles, CA, I don't want to get too dark to avoid ticket.

Yeah I always wonder if that is worth for simply getting Pinnacle too.

I doubt you will notice much difference. If you compared Pinnacle to photo sync then you might feel it, but the difference between Pinnacle and stratos does not appear to be very much. I believe Stratos is a thicker film than Pinnacle. Prices I was quoted for rear and side windows combined with ratings I looked up online (However the LLUMAR guys say Stratos still blocks more heat than Crystaline?):

Tint 35% VLT = 32 (29% after darkening) | TSER = 79 … TSER = Spectra Photosync SPH35 ($1100)
Tint 40% VLT = 39 | TSER = 60 … 3M Crystalline 40 ($650 - two piece rear)
Tint 30% VLT = 33 | TSER = 56 … Formula One Pinnacle 30 ($700)
Tint 35% VLT = 38 | TSER = 55 ... Formula One Pinnacle 35 ($700
Tint 30% VLT = 32 | TSER = 59 ... Formula One Stratos 30 ($900)
Tint 35% VLT = 39 | TSER = 58 ... Formula One Stratos 35 ($900)
Tint 35% VLT = 34 | TSER = 43 … Solar Guard Ultra Performace 30 ($550 ish)

http://cdn.llumar.com/drupal/formulaoneautomotivespecifications2018september.pdf

Spectra PhotoSync® | Prestige

https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/662303O/3mtm-crystalline-automotive-window-films-brochure.pdf

These specs are the reason I ended up with photosync. I was going to just do Pinnacle because it was hard to justify the price difference between Pinnacle and Stratos, except that the shop didn't do Pinnacle on one piece or they didn't have the darkness I was looking at (I can't remember which). Price difference was about $200 which I was going to pay to get what I wanted. Then to step up to Photosync it was like another $200 where the price difference was more warranted due to the 21% jump in heat rejection performance. Hmm maybe this will be more noticeable. Just looking at the numbers, it seemss Pinnacle should be just fine, unless they can't do the once piece rear. Stratos is a little better, but probably not worth $200 difference from performance alone. Photosync changes color a bit when left in
the sun (the reason for the second number).
Hope this helps!

According to the spec, Crystalline has block more heat than Stratos. But the LLUMAR guy said that this is the line to compete with Cyrstalline.

Attachments

• 963D62CA-F15B-4E45-A451-2E23B474C29B.jpg
    963D62CA-F15B-4E45-A451-2E23B474C29B.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 1,236
  • 8A459350-64AB-49E3-95B6-9656F642604C.jpg
    8A459350-64AB-49E3-95B6-9656F642604C.jpg
    387.9 KB · Views: 1,282
I'm considering getting F1 Pinnacle for my M3, probably 30% for rear sides and rear roof and 70% for front sides. A couple questions for those of you who have a similar setup:

1) Since the roof is already tinted pretty dark, will extra tint make a noticeable difference in heat rejection? Also, would 30% make it "too dark" (I know it's kind of subjective, but I welcome the comments)

2) Would you recommend also tinting the front roof window? Or maybe just get the Tesla shade and use it for the summer/hot months?

I'm considering getting F1 Pinnacle for my M3, probably 30% for rear sides and rear roof and 70% for front sides. A couple questions for those of you who have a similar setup:

1) Since the roof is already tinted pretty dark, will extra tint make a noticeable difference in heat rejection? Also, would 30% make it "too dark" (I know it's kind of subjective, but I welcome the comments)

2) Would you recommend also tinting the front roof window? Or maybe just get the Tesla shade and use it for the summer/hot months?

I end up got Stratos 35% all windows, back window and roof. 70% windsheld. I have white interior seat. It doesnt look very dark from the outside. But I think it's good enough for my need as I mainly want to block UV and IR. I don't want to get ticket.

I hestiate about tinting the roof in the beginning. But I end up did it with 35% to block IR and UV. If I could go back in time, I might simply do 50% of the roof. Since it's not yet summer in Los Angeles, I will find out in couple months whether I made the right decision.

But I really like the interior tempature after the tint. It's so much cooler. I didn't feel any heat sensation from the sun when it hit my skin. That's the best part!

View attachment 395806 View attachment 395805
Here are the pictures of mine. Hope it helps. It looks a bit lighter when seeing it in-person than the picture.
The 35% looks great and I also like the 70% for the front. This is making me want to pay a little more to get the Stratos instead of Pinnacle since the Pinnacle's lightest is 50% which I'm a bit concerned about using on my front side windows as it will be more obvious for the cops to see here in California. Still not sure if I want to tint the front roof window or just get the removable shade so it's only up during the really hot times of the year.
That 35% looks great. Approx how much are you guys paying for the tint?
I was quoted $549 for Pinnacle for all 4 side windows and the rear/roof window (no tint for front roof). $749 for Stratos and the same windows.

EE1B998D-1457-4E09-B6AB-1D7C2CCBF8B7.jpeg
Thanks. Looks fantastic @skylander. It gave me a good reference point. I was set on Stratos 40 for all sides and rear, but the local installer don't stock the 40s large enough to accommodate the rear in 1-piece. I may settle for the 35 instead.

There isn't a huge difference in VLT between 35 and 40 (39% vs. 42%).

I initally planned to get 40% or 50%. But after I checked it in person and read the specification, it seems the spec looks better to pick 40% or lower. After the store showed me 30%, 35% and 40% side by side and put it on my car windows, I decided to use 35%. Based on the spec of visible light transmission, Stratos 35 is very similar Crystallie 40. That's was my original choice before I got the car. But after doing side by side comparison with Crystalline, the color of Stratos look better on white interior.

Thanks guys for the feedback. In the past most of cars had a 35%. For this car I am thinking the pinnacle 40, but doing like a pinnacle 50 on the rear window. Since the top of the rear window is already tinted I didn't want to loose a lot of the light in the rear. What do you guys think?

Thanks guys for the feedback. In the past most of cars had a 35%. For this car I am thinking the pinnacle 40, but doing like a pinnacle 50 on the rear window. Since the top of the rear window is already tinted I didn't want to loose a lot of the light in the rear. What do you guys think?
I based my decision of the darkness of the rear window on the lighter bottom part. Increasing the darkness of the top part was just secondary. I’m deciding between 25 and 30 Pinnacle for my rear.

Another question, I really want something around 70 for my front side windows because I don’t want to get pulled over, but Pinnacle only goes up to 50. But Startos goes to 70. Would it be bad to mix the two? Or just pony up and get Stratos all around?

If you're already committed to Stratos on the sides, why pick the Pinnacle 50 over the Stratos 50 for the rear? They have nearly the same VLT rating (55% vs. 56% respectively).

The 35% looks great and I also like the 70% for the front. This is making me want to pay a little more to get the Stratos instead of Pinnacle since the Pinnacle's lightest is 50% which I'm a bit concerned about using on my front side windows as it will be more obvious for the cops to see here in California. Still not sure if I want to tint the front roof window or just get the removable shade so it's only up during the really hot times of the year.

I was quoted $549 for Pinnacle for all 4 side windows and the rear/roof window (no tint for front roof). $749 for Stratos and the same windows.

I agree with you. I think 70% is better choice than 50%. I capture screeshot of my car from my video. I think the picture look closer than the still picture. It shows how 70% looks like when it has 35% windows. Please note that I have white interior. Black interior will surely look darker. You can ask the shop to show the comparison before making the final decision.

For sunroof, I cropped my roof picture. You can see untinted roof vs tinted (35%) roof. I can still see outside but white interior will have slighly more reflection on picture. But it depends on the angle, sun and weather to take picture to see thru the sky. You could tint lighter (to let more light to go thru) or tint it later when needed. Since my primary reason of the tint for reducing IR and UV, I endup tint it. I will find out whether the tint help further reduce the IR from the roof as soon as summer is arrived (in Southern California).

2B28A191-E5FC-4099-AD0E-D758B81E97AB.jpg

9768B5E7-A3D7-459F-B27B-13823903B399.jpg 32DA0895-6A98-44D1-9E38-EAFA880CB2AF.jpg

Reactions: pdp1