Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Forum Request: "Master Thread" for Battery Degradation posts

Should we have a "master thread" for battery degradation posts?

• Yes (vote for a master thread)

Votes: 15 88.2%
  • no (no master thread, maintain status quo)

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
People have real questions about "battery degradation", and "rated range". So much so, that we get at least 1-2 new posts a day with someone saying "has anyone seen this?" where they clearly did not even attempt to search the forum... because if they had, they would have seen at least 15-20 threads with the same topic.

Its easy to say "well dont read or respond to those posts" but then people feel that this is an unfriendly forum, which is very far from the case.... this is an extremely helpful and friendly forum (for the most part). The same people keep answering the same questions with the same data, again and again. Many of them have stopped answering, out of frustration.

If there was a master thread for that topic, people that really wanted to read about "has anyone seen this" would be able to read (and discuss) their "battery degradation", and get answers that have been crowd sourced by the forum many (many many) times, while still not bogging down the main board.

Can we please have a master thread for those posts, so that people can say "read here", rather than someone like me posting links in each thread of the last 15-20 threads on the same topic?

ucmndd

Mar 10, 2016
California
It’s a lovely idea but people don’t care and won’t heed it. It’s important to people who feel helpless and hoodwinked to make their own threads to explain why their particular situation is so egregious/concerning/severe/noteworthy/etc

gecko10x

Jan 22, 2018
WV
I understand the desire to reduce repeat threads, but I don't understand the point of "Master Threads". No way anyone is going to read through 20 or 30 pages of stuff, whether it's in 1 thread or 20.

Now, if someone were to make an FAQ thread and sticky it, that would be much more useful, IMO.

Edit: Maybe that is what the OP meant? But not all of the existing Master Threads start with an up-to-date FAQ post. Maybe that kind of this isn't possible on this board?

jjrandorin

Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
I am not the person to create a master thread on battery degredation. There are quite a few here who could (and have already) written up explanations in quite a few different threads. I am talking about the number of new threads that are posted about battery degredation being grouped up, like the ones for smart summon, etc.

To show what I am talking about, please see below, This is what I can see for just the last 2 months (october and september) on threads that have to do with battery degradation. All of these threads have had activity From september 1st or later. This is one reason why people here get fairly annoyed at "Has anyone seen this??" at the end of just about every new thread that someone posts about it.

Am I the only one that thinks that something needs to be done to group all these type questions together? If not, why are all the smart summon threads together (as an example)?

10% loss of range after last update
Model 3 Performance Battery Degradation One Month (Story)
I love this car, but.....
Mid-range changes in range or battery degradation
Long Range Battery Degradation?
My model 3 says full at 210 miles
Battery Degradation Scientifically Explained
Model 3 - 175 miles from a 277 mile charge?
Posted mileage wildly inaccurate
Range drops quickly, high wh/mi
V10 and Battery "Degradation"
Question for those who still have rated range.
Almost 15% range loss Model 3 Awd
Range on midrange reduced to 219 miles
Suspicious range numbers
2.2% battery degradation at 11k miles
2.2% battery degradation at 11k miles

Model 3 MR Battery Degradation
SR+ at 90% now showing 210 miles
Sentry mode vs long term battery degradation
90 percent charge low?
100% charge range of SR+ at 224...new order of same car is 250 advertised
Service appointment for 12 month old Model 3 for range loss /invoice for out of warranty inspection?
Battery Degradation and Rated Range explained
Poll: LR battery degradation @ 3k miles
Poll: For those with Zero degradation, what level do you set your charge limit?
Lost range? Poll
Battery degradation or BMS error?
Tesla appointment for battery health concerns mysteriously disappeared
I must have a unicorn.... (this one was mine)
Strange Charging Behaviour to 100%
TeslaFi - Battery Degradation Reports (upload your data)
energy display - energy/distance

September 2019 threads on degradation:
Lost 40 miles range on a 11mile regular journey?? New Model 3
SR+ Sudden battery drop
FSC Was 310 now 295?
Battery degradation after 9000 km?
Battery degradation on Model 3 - only with long range battery pack
2018 M3 Battery life got reduced!
Firmware's impact on range (graph)
Another battery/ range question LR AWD Range 250!
Battery range back going UP? From 293 to 306+
Does your car fully charge to 310+ miles of range?
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/estimated-range-on-my-“new”-model-3.165911/
That crappy degradation chart made less crappy (you know the one)
Sudden Rated Range Drop
Battery Degradation ?
M3 Range Loss Date and Mileage Trend

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H

toolman335

Oct 3, 2019
Rochester
You guys have to understand that there are thousands of new Tesla owners every month. When I first came in here there were 10,000 posts, divided into several sections, and I had no idea how to use the forums until I got into it a bit.
Buying a Tesla is unlike any other purchase. For many people it's a scary purchase(or scary if they're thinking about buying one). Let us newbies create some threads and please help us out.
These forums helped me decide to buy a Tesla. For others it's the opposite.
There is no way I was going to filter through 100 pages per master thread. Even if they're redundant, I like the fresh threads. It helps establish trends. It's real-time information from both new and old owners. The newbies have questions, and the veterans are usually helpful or insulting. It's both informative and entertaining. As our caraoke systems sing to us now, "Let it go!"

• Disagree

TimothyHW3

Jun 2, 2019
Germany
You guys have to understand that there are thousands of new Tesla owners every month. When I first came in here there were 10,000 posts, divided into several sections, and I had no idea how to use the forums until I got into it a bit.
Buying a Tesla is unlike any other purchase. For many people it's a scary purchase(or scary if they're thinking about buying one). Let us newbies create some threads and please help us out.
These forums helped me decide to buy a Tesla. For others it's the opposite.
There is no way I was going to filter through 100 pages per master thread. Even if they're redundant, I like the fresh threads. It helps establish trends. It's real-time information from both new and old owners. The newbies have questions, and the veterans are usually helpful or insulting. It's both informative and entertaining. As our caraoke systems sing to us now, "Let it go!"
Yeah, but this isn't how forums work.

I am not sure who moderates this forum, but adding endless, repetitive threads slows downs the database and results in excessive overhead.
I really feel like this forum is not very well moderated.

I am a mod in another forum and on reddit - if I was to moderate this forum I would straight out ban these posts with automod and have a post for each specifc problem with the explained situations and what to look for in the first post and only THEN if you have a specific problem not covered you will be allowed to post in there (others removed as well)

If you are too lazy to read - then we will be too "lazy" to answer.

A master thread and automated banning of the "my rated range is not 310 miles" posts is mandatory if this forum is to survive.

• Love

gecko10x

Jan 22, 2018
WV
I am a mod in another forum and on reddit - if I was to moderate this forum I would straight out ban these posts with automod and have a post for each specifc problem with the explained situations and what to look for in the first post and only THEN if you have a specific problem not covered you will be allowed to post in there (others removed as well)

In principle, I totally agree that FAQs get written up somewhere. In practice however, excessive use of banning posts creates a non-friendly environment. I've been on forums before where I missed a rule or something and got a post removed- it doesn't make one feel welcomed, and doesn't make you want to post anything, for fear of doing something "wrong".

I'm not a mod, and never have been. I don't envy the position, and don't know how to balance the issue.

toolman335

Oct 3, 2019
Rochester
You should be able to post a quick question asking what the best type of home charging station is or how to use a feature of the car without fear of having some character post 25 links to threads that might have answered it.
Master threads are a waste of time. I'm not sifting through dozens of pages and hundreds of posts to find out simple answers.

• Disagree

jjrandorin

Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
You should be able to post a quick question asking what the best type of home charging station is or how to use a feature of the car without fear of having some character post 25 links to threads that might have answered it.
Master threads are a waste of time. I'm not sifting through dozens of pages and hundreds of posts to find out simple answers.

Neither one of the things you used as an example have so many new threads created basically daily. What is happening is, people who can answer the questions with real information, have done so repeatedly, and are now beginning to stop answering the question. This is how forums die, when people basically get tired of reading the same stuff over and over and over (and over) again.

Since there is no FAQ for this subject ( which there likely should be), I dont quite get the argument of "I want to know but I dont have time to read through whats been said already", which is what you are saying.

• Love

Rocky_H

Feb 19, 2015
Boise, ID
If there was a master thread for that topic, people that really wanted to read about "has anyone seen this" would be able to read (and discuss) their "battery degradation", and get answers that have been crowd sourced by the forum many (many many) times, while still not bogging down the main board.

Can we please have a master thread for those posts, so that people can say "read here", rather than someone like me posting links in each thread of the last 15-20 threads on the same topic?
Absolutely!! :cool:

I understand the desire to reduce repeat threads, but I don't understand the point of "Master Threads". No way anyone is going to read through 20 or 30 pages of stuff, whether it's in 1 thread or 20.

Now, if someone were to make an FAQ thread and sticky it, that would be much more useful, IMO.
Yes, at the top of a lot of the sections here, they have a few sticky threads covering some of the most commonly asked about topics. It's a natural longstanding part of this board. And if you've spent some time on the other forum at Tesla.com, you would have seen that the lack of that (and search) is one of the very frequent complaints about that primitive forum software and is why they say that TMC is so much better and easier to find this information, because it is cataloged in more structured and easier to find ways.

And people aren't required to read 20 or 30 pages of an entire sticky thread from the beginning, especially if it goes back a few years, but it is very useful to look through the last 2 to 3 pages to see the most recent information about it.

Yes, exactly. New people coming to a forum and not knowing how it works when they come into a new environment, right? So it would make sense to read and learn for a while to see how it works, right? That sounds sensible to me.

And this is why people are running out of patience with answering people who have this kind of demanding attitude, where you want people to give of their time to provide you answers, when you won't give any of your time to read to try to find them first.

Well, that seems like too extreme of a countermeasure in my opinion with auto-delete, etc. But @jjrandorin 's proposal to create sticky threads at the top for both "degradation" and "not getting rated miles" is a very welcome and much-needed request. At least having it right there at the top of the Model 3 Battery & Charging section would get some people to look through it, or at least make it quicker to refer people to it instead of having to search to pull up several separate ones to paste in.

Yes, this is needed and has my vote.

• Love
Reactions: jjrandorin

toolman335

Oct 3, 2019
Rochester
I understand your frustration guys. You're Tesla veterans. Totally understand if you guys stop answering questions.
I am a very happy new Tesla owner and I understand the fear/anxiety of a new Tesla owner. Despite my limited knowledge I am more than happy to answer any and all questions that I have a clue about.

toolman335

Oct 3, 2019
Rochester
Are you reading the threads? Hardly a day goes by without someone having anxiety over buying one or stressed out questions as a new owner. Fear and anxiety is a modern way to classify stress. Overused terms for sure!
Get off the master threads and read what the common people are saying :D:)

TimothyHW3

Jun 2, 2019
Germany
Are you reading the threads? Hardly a day goes by without someone having anxiety over buying one or stressed out questions as a new owner. Fear and anxiety is a modern way to classify stress. Overused terms for sure!
Get off the master threads and read what the common people are saying :D:)
The question was rhetorical...

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC