TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Forum Rules?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by SteveTheTech, Sep 17, 2010.

1. SteveTheTech

SteveTheTech Member

Ok I think I have a fairly new user question or questions.

There appears to be a missing thread in the forum stickies. A forum rules for new members thread. I was wondering at what post number my posts would stop being required to be reviewed by a moderator? (I am an instant review and editor, instead of proofreading...)
    What about posting an avatar?

If the avatar setting is based on a thread number I think that is a brilliant idea, same goes for the mod review.

Thanks

2. kgb

kgb Member

Yes, what is up with that? Why do I get an "unable to save file" error when I try to upload an avatar or profile pic?

3. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

#3 doug, Sep 19, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
    Ehh... we started to put some rules together at some point. Haven't had much time to look back into it lately. Mainly we just expect common courtesy and we ban trolls and spammers. In terms of technical details, our Administrator, MPT, has been changing a lot lately and we're still a bit in flux.

We recently added a requirement for the first X posts of a new user to be moderated. This has helped cut WAY down on spam, at least in terms of what regular users see. The problem uploading an avatar is probably a separate issue. We'll look into it.

4. mpt

mpt Electrics are back

Generally, please PM me for the details; it might sound a bit cloak and dagger but I'm not keen to publish openly the details of our anti-spam but I'm very happy to share them directly.

5. Alan

Alan Member

Hi,

Glad I found this thread as I thought I had hit the wrong button when my 2nd post vanished! Also have same issue with Avatar.

Alan

6. SteveTheTech

SteveTheTech Member

I by no means was attempting to question of the anti spam strategy. Everyone runs their boards a bit different. I was curious about the ground rules.

cheers.gif

At the time I figured there was something wrong with file I was trying to load as my avatar.

7. kashiraja

kashiraja Member

Is there a minimum requirement in order to set the avatar? I don't see any selection, only "No avatar specified" then [x] Do no use avatar. there is only one radio button and no other selection. Sorry for posting in an old thread.

8. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Yes. Try again after you've posted a few more.

9. kashiraja

kashiraja Member

#9 kashiraja, Jan 31, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2013
    the option showed up today in the Edit Avatar config page! Now I can showcase the car which will soon be parked in my garage... very soon... I hope.