Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Forward adjustment on hood (gap)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Durzel

Jul 17, 2019
Bath, UK
Hi

I had my bonnet (hood) adjusted by my local SC today, it was slightly out horizontally. It was always the correct height at the front (I’m aware of those screw in things).

Since then, and this could all be in my head, it feels like there is a bigger gap at the front. I remarked upon on it to the guy when I collected the car, but was told it was “within tolerance”.

It stands out to me now because it is the biggest panel gap on the car.

I had a look under the hood and they’ve definitely played about with it as they have taken some of the paint off the 4 bolts that hold it on.

Was wondering what your collective thoughts were, is my hood gap out of whack?

If so, does anyone know if there is any forward adjustment possible in the bolt fixings?

Thanks in advance.

9BECA0B9-038A-4361-97A2-1A01522DCAA4.jpeg

7D2CD4A0-BB75-4F57-A38B-2C7F4E5654B1.jpeg

3B889A1C-5621-4EF6-9CAD-1DAFA5FD4C54.jpeg

That is perfect, thanks. That bit in the video was just what I needed. I am slightly confused as to why it needs two people if you’re only loosening the bolts though, it wasn’t immediately obvious from the video description.

Last edited:
That is perfect, thanks. That bit in the video was just what I needed. I am slightly confused as to why it needs two people if you’re only loosening the bolts though, it wasn’t immediately obvious from the video description.

my guess is it is hard to adjust those bolts and tighten them up while also trying figure out hood alignment and support everything. Probably doable solo but best with help.

Thanks. Think I’ll have a go at moving it. There’s probably 2mm (not sure what that is in Imperial :)) in it, but the gap has gone from something I’ve never noticed as being wrong, to drawing my eye constantly.

I will freely admit though that I’m probably obsessing over it, and it’s probably one of those things - like the first scratch you get - that no one else would notice if you didn’t point it out.

Ok, so I had a crack at doing this today. What I will say off the bat is that it is very fiddly. I don’t know how much easier it would be with two people, but I had to try and do it solo (lockdown over here). It took a long time, lots of trial and error test fitting, thinking I had it right only to find the other side completely out etc.

If anyone attempts this I would say the most important thing is to unhook the struts and prop up the bonnet. I tried doing it without doing that, and the struts just try and force the bonnet up all the time.

There is a LOT of play in the bonnet fixings, you can quite easily close gaps up and even go too far forward.

Thanks very much @TypeRx - that video gave me the confidence to have a go myself :)

Before:
5F5E2BF0-A3B6-4EAD-A0B2-67046025BB42.jpeg

After:
E4958A02-CD9F-40FB-BC53-13A09A147038.jpeg

BB14CAD2-3C68-487C-91E1-8210CE5E2711.jpeg

E5C6D7F8-19EC-4CC3-9153-85D0B3C550B9.jpeg

Install shots:

772797BD-8672-42AF-9B78-6B13233954F6.jpeg

0354B4E8-BDFF-46C5-9D3B-638052DB46AD.jpeg

Ok, so I had a crack at doing this today. What I will say off the bat is that it is very fiddly. I don’t know how much easier it would be with two people, but I had to try and do it solo (lockdown over here). It took a long time, lots of trial and error test fitting, thinking I had it right only to find the other side completely out etc.

If anyone attempts this I would say the most important thing is to unhook the struts and prop up the bonnet. I tried doing it without doing that, and the struts just try and force the bonnet up all the time.

There is a LOT of play in the bonnet fixings, you can quite easily close gaps up and even go too far forward.

Thanks very much @TypeRx - that video gave me the confidence to have a go

Awesome job man! Looks terrific. Always great seeing people working on their own cars.

Reactions: Durzel
That looks great. Mine is too low so doesn't sit flush. I don't think I can adjust that without taking the bumper off. Anyone else have that issue? Those screw things don't help in my case just make it harder to close the frunk.
It could be that your bonnet isn’t far enough back? Once loosened there is a lot of play in the holes where the bonnet attaches to the hinges, but you can’t go up or down in height as it were. You can however push the bonnet more towards the windscreen which ought to have the effect of raising it more along the leading edges. It would make the gap at the front bigger though.

Best speak to a SC about that one I think.