Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Forward Collision Warning Failed to Detect Incoming Head-On Collision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The video speaks for itself. I'm quite surprised (and disappointed) that AP2.0 did not detect the impending collision (which was luckily avoided at the very last second), considering the number of times I'm driving down winding roads that have cars parked along the sides and the car gives off false warnings.

Had that exact thing happen to me 2 months ago and had to scramble and pulled of a crazy turn to avoid the hit. Someone turned left into my path as I was going through a green light at an intersection. I'm pretty sure I didn't get a FCW as well but I was so amped I wasn't sure. I think it doesn't detect turning cars well (just cars going in your direction of travel).

• Funny
Reactions: mattack4000
The video speaks for itself. I'm quite surprised (and disappointed) that AP2.0 did not detect the impending collision (which was luckily avoided at the very last second), considering the number of times I'm driving down winding roads that have cars parked along the sides and the car gives off false warnings.

Potential factors:
The entire potential AEB/FCW event (vehicle in path) was less than two seconds from no object to object to no object (from slowed video, seemed like 1 second total), so not surprising that it would be filtered.
During the event, the side of the vehicle was at an angle to the radar, so it might not have a good return.
During the event, the other vehicles motion was mostly perpendicular to your path, so from a radar point of view it was similar to a stationary vehicle, which is a known non-trigger case for some modes.

Edit: added FCW

Flashing your headlights is a better idea. You are trying to get somebody to see you. This is why a lot of MC riders will flash you in that situ.
I didn't realize the person was going to run a red light right into my path until I was about to enter the intersection. That was not enough time to flash my headlights and avoid the accident.
Is that dashcam video from your Tesla while you were driving?
Yes. It's the BlackVue DR650S-2CH (installed by Al & Ed's Autosound in West Hollywood). I used Adobe Premiere Elements 15 to put the rear camera's video Picture-in-Picture to show the red light the person ran.

I didn't realize the person was going to run a red light right into my path until I was about to enter the intersection. That was not enough time to flash my headlights and avoid the accident

FWIW IMO you did the right thing. There's no guarantee that flashing your headlights or even honking has any effect on another driver's behavior. Given how quickly that situation became dangerous, prioritizing accident avoidance was the right thing to do, period.

FWIW, I'm not at all convinced that FCW or AEB is designed to work with oncoming vehicles in the current software. I've also had many situations where I've been involved in head-on situations that were near misses, FAR closer to a collision than anything FCW has warned me about for rear-ending and stopped vehicle scenarios.

It seems like currently, FCW/AEB allow warning for you moving approaching a stopped vehicle, and you moving faster than another same direction vehicle. I've seen no warnings from FCW/AEB intended to warn about time to head-on collision between two opposite-direction vehicles, except one old AP1 video where it could easily have been that the car was detected as stationary incorrectly.

Reactions: MIT_S60
Nice RT. It seems like you hit the brakes before AEB would have triggered from what I've heard about AEB. I would think if AEB actually worked in this situation you would have actually hit the car but the car would have tried braking just before impact

...I drive my '12 S mostly with left foot braking in tighter areas, leaving stoplights(pole position) and around traffic for stuff like this but it really doesn't seem to work for the cars with the electric brake booster. Pedal position is higher + it is more finicky about having 'both pedals pressed'

I didn't realize the person was going to run a red light right into my path until I was about to enter the intersection. That was not enough time to flash my headlights and avoid the accident.

I flash my light(s) whenever somebody is moving and could turn left in front in me. This happens as I cover the brakes and look for an 'out'. Over 100,000 miles on 2 wheels and I'm still alive. I drive a car much the same way.

By now we should know that AP2 works at certain times but not others.

For example, with the same scenario of Lateral Turn Across Path (LTAP) detection but in a rainy night:

That's AP1, and that was what I was alluding to in my post. In this case, the car's horizontal velocity component is essentially 0 since it's rotating and then going across. If it's momentarily detected as stationary instead of oncoming, that will trigger FCW. On AP2, you can see laterally crossing cars be occasionally represented as blinking stationary cars teleporting across the screen.

I really think this is a case of FCW accidentally working in a situation it's not designed to protect against.

Reactions: Cirrus MS100D

Looks to me like you were already braking before the person actually moved into your path. Not that the software shouldn't ideally interpret the turn as an action that will eventually cross your path, but... anyway, did you make a bug report?

biggest proble with AEB is that you dont want it acting prematurely as it can aggravate the heck out of people.

got to say I am astounded at that AP1 video, but also it seems clear that it acted much later than the OP braked in your incident.
Bottom line is you did very well to avoid that accident, if AEB was going to act it was cutting it mighty fine.

AP2 is approaching parity and is starting to get some unique features, but AP1 I think is still the more mature product with AP2 still a bit more inconsistent.

Just be happy you dont have to get it sorted via instance and repair shops

Been in that same situation a few times over the years as you were. Hope the driver crapped in their clothes and realized how very close they came to not making it home that night just because they couldn't wait. I hate people like this. Like what's a few seconds or minutes worth compared to your life or that of others? We have a friend who thinks he's a great driver but takes chances (from what I've seen when in a car he was driving and stories he's told me). He's got a wife and kid at home and I always think he could be leaving his wife to raise their kid on her own at some point.

Glad you were able to avoid the collision. Might want to contact Tesla and see if they want to look at your video and check your logs.

Last edited:
Reactions: MSDadMich
I don't think the system was designed to handle that scenario, at least not currently. That being said, I'm with some of the other posters in that AEB would have intervened but you jumped in before it could. Tesla doesn't have collision avoidance, it has collision severity reduction.

Jeff

For all of us, please send to Tesla and keep us updated. Maybe AEB would have kicked in later. Mayyyyyybe. But I’m very skeptical. And you should at least have gotten the red car warning on the dashboard, this kicks in before, for sure. AP2 just seems currently like the MUCH less smart twin of AP1. Progress is slow, use case incomplete, yet false positive plenty. Not totally surprising when hearing about the numerous changes of leadership in such a critical team, but very disappointed given the initial claims from Mr. Musk.

• Disagree
Reactions: jeffro01