Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Forward collision warning or parking assist gone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So have had my Y about 7 months now and when I would park in my garage I would park 30cm before I hit my blue recycling boxes which would show up on my screen and give me warnings in cm as I got closer. Not sure if this was parking assist or forward collision warning.

The past few weeks this has disappeared? Ie I get no more collision warning at all and it doesn’t visualize anything in front of the car anymore.

Have tried a reboot. Is this something Tesla removed as I know on newer vehicles they removed a feature but didn’t think it was the case on existing?

So have had my Y about 7 months now and when I would park in my garage I would park 30cm before I hit my blue recycling boxes which would show up on my screen and give me warnings in cm as I got closer. Not sure if this was parking assist or forward collision warning.

The past few weeks this has disappeared? Ie I get no more collision warning at all and it doesn’t visualize anything in front of the car anymore.

Have tried a reboot. Is this something Tesla removed as I know on newer vehicles they removed a feature but didn’t think it was the case on existing?
I Took delivery this past week and do not have this. Thought this may be related to the USS Sensors, But looks like it could be some setting based on your experience

I must be lucky, took delivery of a 22 MYLR that was a demo, did the latest update and still get the distance indicators when parking in the garage. I'll probably lose it soon...
No, I think you'll keep that feature. Tesla told me that the 2023 models without the ultrasonic sensors should probably be getting the distance to objects back by the end of January 2023 (like the ones with the ultrasonic sensors). They are testing the camera-only Tesla Vision system now. I think they will do many months of testing before they even consider enabling only Tesla Vision on the older vehicles.

No, I think you'll keep that feature. Tesla told me that the 2023 models without the ultrasonic sensors should probably be getting the distance to objects back by the end of January 2023 (like the ones with the ultrasonic sensors). They are testing the camera-only Tesla Vision system now. I think they will do many months of testing before they even consider enabling only Tesla Vision on the older vehicles.
Confused as to why mine seems to have disappeared. Maybe will try to do a service message or whatever in the app if no one else is seeing the same thing.

I have had my Y/LR exactly 6 hours. There’s no USS fitted but I got no warning when backing into a charge bay and ‘touched’ the charger.

Surely they must have an audible / visual system ready to replace the USS?

Out of the dealer, the car seems to have no active distance or collision system, which is kind of crazy.

Reactions: Happy Hippo
I had the same issue. I have a 2022 model Y LR, picked it up in April. A week or so ago when pulling into my garage I stopped getting the distance away from the rear wall of the garage. I have a need to park very close to the rear garage wall. Nothing changed on my part, no change to any settings and no updates.

I may have just resolved my issue. I decided to back into my garage. The rear parking sensors worked just find. So I pulled out of the garage and pull back in the normal way. And, all of a sudden the parking sensors on the front of my car are now showing distance. All is well for now.

Has anyone had this same experience?

Last edited:
I had the same issue. I have a 2022 model Y LR, picked it up in April. A week or so ago when pulling into my garage I stopped getting the distance away from the rear wall of the garage. I have a need to park very close to the rear garage wall. Nothing changed on my part, no change to any settings and no updates.

I may have just resolved my issue. I decided to back into my garage. The rear parking sensors worked just find. So I pulled out of the garage and pull back in the normal way. And, all of a sudden the parking sensors on the front of my car are now showing distance. All is well for now.

Has anyone had this same experience?

Mine is still wonky, no distance provided as there used to be just a few weeks ago before the second to last update. Have rebooted, not changed any settings (and don't think there is one).

Guess will get around to the painful experience of somehow contacting Tesla at some point soon.

Curious, for parking, is there a certain height of things where the front detection won't register? Wondering if maybe I've always had the blue boxes stacked, and now that they aren't it isn't being captured by the front collision system? Easy enough to test out I guess.

Curious, for parking, is there a certain height of things where the front detection won't register? Wondering if maybe I've always had the blue boxes stacked, and now that they aren't it isn't being captured by the front collision system? Easy enough to test out I guess.
I found at times the front sensors just don't work. It's random which is kind of scary. Sometimes it detects the front area of my garage and there have been a few times it didn't. Luckily I bubble wrapped a pole but I can see the pole jiggling because I hit it.

I found at times the front sensors just don't work. It's random which is kind of scary. Sometimes it detects the front area of my garage and there have been a few times it didn't. Luckily I bubble wrapped a pole but I can see the pole jiggling because I hit it.
Whoa, you actually hit the pole? What does the front of your car looks like? These cars aren't the sturdiest so very curious.

It worked perfectly for me, for months without hassle. I would always stop exactly 30cm before the blue box/green box. Even my family would say "oh, wait Dad, it's 36 cm you can still go forward". Literally just stopped showing any distance from objects a few weeks ago, I think after the second to last update. Which is why it's weird.

Reactions: everydaychris
In my garage I don't have any poles but I still use the old fashioned tennis ball on a string, adjusted so that when if touches the windshield, I'm fully in. Been doing it this way for 20+ years.