Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Forward collision warnings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if anyone else has noticed an increase in forward collision warnings. In the last few weeks I have gotten 3 which brought my safety score down from 94 to 90. The times it happened there was no danger. One time it went off when a car 3 or more car lengths in front of me turned right. Another time a car in front of a car that was in front of me turned and set it off. In this case it showed the front car red not the one in front of me. Just seems to not make a lot of sense to me.

Reactions: Blueskies123
Interesting. I'm having the exact opposite experience. I usually get ONE warning on my 3 mile commute, and if I deliberately try to provoke the system by rolling at a constant rate of speed, light throttle (zero regen!), toward a fully stopped car, and it does NOT give any warning. I have to apply the brakes rather aggressively.

Another time a car in front of a car that was in front of me turned and set it off. In this case it showed the front car red not the one in front of me.
I have just experienced this one recently, and it surprised me. In my case though, both cars in front of me were going straight ahead. I can't tell if the first car suddenly slowed down or not.

Interesting. I'm having the exact opposite experience. I usually get ONE warning on my 3 mile commute, and if I deliberately try to provoke the system by rolling at a constant rate of speed, light throttle (zero regen!), toward a fully stopped car, and it does NOT give any warning. I have to apply the brakes rather aggressively.
I believe you have to going over 3-5 mph for forward collision to take over

Is the forward collision feature the same as when it thinks a car on the other side is too close? I have a lot of country roads with tight bends and the car makes a lot of unhappy noises when cars on the other side pass me. I’ve looked at the screen and they appear red. However, they’re not on my side of the road and it appears the cameras are confused.

For reference: a sweeping left or right hand turn on roads with a 60mph limit (totally safe to take them at that speed) triggers the alarms.

I have a similar experience. My forward collision warnings are through the roof. Driving in Chicago though it is hard to avoid getting close to other cars but I am never in a situation where it should consider a collision imminent.

If you use the voice command "Bug Report" you can send the data at the time of the warning to Tesla and open a service apt. in the app. Then you can text Tesla service and they can review the bug report to see what was going on at the time of the "forward collision warning" and diagnose.

Reactions: Undecided_2