TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Forward intelligent brake function?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by singleview, Sep 26, 2016.

1. singleview

singleview Member

Does the Tesla have a forward intelligent brake function that stops the Tesla for you automatically when detecting a possible impact?

Is this on all the time?

Or is this feature only available when in autopilot?

Thanks!

2. St Charles

St Charles Member

It's my understanding that it is on all the time and is a safety feature. I believe that even if you didn't pay for AP you still get this.

• Like x 1
  3. singleview

singleview Member

OK - thanks. I sort of tried to "test" this, but did not risk going any closer than I was comfortable with to the car in front of me. I did not notice my Tesla stop when it neared the car in front, or give me any sort of warning. Maybe it works in more "real" situations... not my fake tests! o_O

4. kirkbauer

kirkbauer Member

That is also my understanding. Officially it doesn't avoid the accident only minimizes the severity, but in practice it can definitely (but not always) avoid accidents. You don't need to buy AP or use AP.

5. chillaban

chillaban Member

Tesla calls it Automated Emergency Braking, and it's on all the time, and can only be disabled for the current drive (reset to on when you put the car in Park)

Note that it will only autonomously brake 25mph worth of slowdown. You are expected to hit the brakes too if you agree with its automated braking action. It's not meant to fully bring your car to a stop if you just sit there and watch.

P.S. DO NOT try to test it. AEB only initiates when a collision is inevitable. Unless you are an expert stunt driver who knows how to tailgate beyond average human abilities, you will not be able to trigger AEB without being in serious risk of an actual collision.

• Like x 2
  6. tliving

tliving Member

It only exists in cars manufactured after October 2014 I think. It doesn't exist on my April 2014 car so if buying a CPO just be aware of that.

7. scottm

scottm Active Member

..that's because cars before Oct.2014 have no AP hardware (radar) to do the braking.

8. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

This.

I've had AEB activate once, it'll show "Emergency Braking in Progress" or something of that sort on the IC. I've had a lot of close calls, but in none of those close calls did AEB activate (I guess they weren't close enough).

So I wouldn't "test" this. Drive like it's not there, and if you ever need it be thankful that it is there.

9. scottm

scottm Active Member

Tesla should consider slamming the brakes on.

Subaru does with its Eyesight. Excellent results!

And they DO demo this to sales staff in training. (With helmets on.)
    "See that wall? Drive straight into it."

...cold sweat... "are you sure?"
    "Yes."

10. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

As much as I love my Tesla, I'd probably be willing to do it in a demo Subaru, but I don't trust Tesla enough to do it in a demo Tesla.