Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fossil Fuel Divestment - Saudis Want Out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These nations are held together by oil money and repression, taking away all that money and the repression doesn't somehow create a vibrant democratic economy. There's no real reason to do business in SA other than oil, even the royal family dumping $10B into a new "financial sector" completely backfired.

It's going to be business as usual one day and utter chaos the next, just a matter of when.

The House of Saud made a deal with the devil to get power in the first place. The Wahabbists agreed to prop up the House of Saud in exchange for the ability to control SA's education system. That was before there was any oil money (around the time of WW I). This arrangement means the population of SA is radically more conservative than the government and it is unique in the Arab world.

While the government of SA is very pro-west, the population is very anti-west and they need to give lip service to that. I'm pretty sure the Saudis have conspired with the west to keep oil prices low that last few years to hurt Russia and Iran. The low prices hurt SA, but they hurt their enemies more.

The House of Saud may fall when the oil stops flowing and that is something everyone should be concerned about. I think the House of Saud itself thinks about that every day.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
Speaking of Saudi oil....this popped up in my feed today.

Secretary of Energy Rick Perry Announces Nearly $20 Million To Help Commercialize Promising Energy Technologies

Sounds pretty good, right? Til I read some of the recipients.

Safer drilling – Reducing risks and costs with real time, downhole kick detection, $700,000
Saudi Aramco, Houston, Texas

The wealthiest entity in the world apparently needs $700k of my tax dollars to figure out how to drill more safely in Texas. Announced the day after 9/11 no less.

We live in a bizarro-universe.

Nope. It is a very logical world - follow the money. But very arrogant - hey, we elected them.

Why do some people seem to think that if something doesn't work once that it won't work at all?

Be like Norway... not like Malaysia... ;)
Is Norway a free market economy?
In that way it does not exist not even in allmighty US. But yes, Norway is trying to befree market economy same as other modern economies. Important to say that scandinavian countries have lower degree of economic freedom due to high taxes (state redistribution of wealth).

no thanks

Is Norway a free market economy?
In that way it does not exist not even in allmighty US. But yes, Norway is trying to befree market economy same as other modern economies. Important to say that scandinavian countries have lower degree of economic freedom due to high taxes (state redistribution of wealth).

no thanks

Aside from the freedom to go bankrupt if you get sick what freedom do Americans enjoy that Norwegians don't?

Reactions: navguy12
the freedom to be as successful and prosperous as their efforts will allow them without a nanny state taking an inordinate amount of the fruits of their labor

I don't hear many Norwegians complaining... they seem to understand that you get what you pay for... I'd gladly pay higher taxes if it meant people don't lose their home for getting sick. But I'm a true patriot... I put my life on the life to protect liberty for ~8 years in the military. Slightly higher taxes is a small price to pay compared to that....

Norway is one of the most heavily taxed countries in the world with a total tax burden of roughly 45% of GDP– almost 4x Hong Kong and nearly twice the US. VAT here is a whopping 25%. Personal income tax rates border 55%. Corporate profits tax ranges from 28% to as high as 78%.

your idea of slightly higher is not what most would consider to be slightly higher.

you are just a government loving statist
Why Norway is a BS argument for higher taxes | Sovereign Man

• Funny
  • Disagree
Reactions: ohmman and navguy12
Some seem to forget, economies are man made. No people, no economy and as far as I can tell, god doesn't control it either. A human game, and humans make the rules. What are the rules? Why did you once get interest on your savings and now you don't? Why was there once a limit on interest rates? [known as usury laws] and now credit card rates rather than being limited to 4-6% are now up to 29% or more? I trust you are getting the idea. There are no "natural laws" of economics as it is all a man made game.

Anyway, I'd guess the Saudi's can just print money, which is probably what they do now and that works as long as people have faith. Just like our dollar.

Some seem to forget, economies are man made. No people, no economy and as far as I can tell, god doesn't control it either. A human game, and humans make the rules. What are the rules? Why did you once get interest on your savings and now you don't? Why was there once a limit on interest rates? [known as usury laws] and now credit card rates rather than being limited to 4-6% are now up to 29% or more? I trust you are getting the idea. There are no "natural laws" of economics as it is all a man made game.

Anyway, I'd guess the Saudi's can just print money, which is probably what they do now and that works as long as people have faith. Just like our dollar.
are you aware that the lending of money is against the tenants of islam?
as for the "game" for almost as long as humans have been on the planet economic schemes have been implemented for trade and commerce. many of you just have an issue with the US/western styled capitalism

are you aware that the lending of money is against the tenants of islam?
as for the "game" for almost as long as humans have been on the planet economic schemes have been implemented for trade and commerce. many of you just have an issue with the US/western styled capitalism

Not lending money, profiting from it:

Q&A: Islamic finance

"Central to Islamic finance is the fact that money itself has no intrinsic value, it is simply a medium of exchange. Each unit is 100% equal in value to another unit of the same denomination and you are not allowed to make a profit by exchanging cash with another person. A Muslim is not allowed to benefit from lending money or receiving money from someone."

Reactions: navguy12