Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fought a deer and nobodyg won!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

boonedocks

MS LR Blk/Blk 19”
May 1, 2015
Gainesville GA
So traveling on a lonely state highway at 55 mph (posted speed limit) a deer decided to leap in front of my car from the side of the road. I always watch well into distance for deer in this area but this particular one literally came out of nowhere. If it hadn't of been flipping in the air like a rag doll higher than than a street light and as far off the road as I could follow it before it disappeared.....it could have been Prancer scoping out for his Christmas run.

For those that are interested here are the current prices for parts for Tesla repairs. I remembered reading how high they were in past posts so thought some others might want to know.

*(Mod please feel free to move my post if it is better suited somewhere else.)

'15 Model S 85D all options

Grille w/prk sensor $450
Molding $450
Emblem $50
Lower grille w/distance sensor $78
Bumper cover w/prk sensor $415
RT Headlamp w/Xenon $830
Sight shield w/o chrome inserts $150
Radiator support composite $650
Hood (ALU) $771
Insulator $228.58
Module $175.44

So that's the preliminary parts list and it is in the hands of a very capable repair center. Thank goodness no airbags or windshield/body frame damage.

How do I edit the Post Title :/

Attachments

• IMG_9333.JPG
    IMG_9333.JPG
    404.3 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_9334.JPG
    IMG_9334.JPG
    202.5 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_9335.JPG
    IMG_9335.JPG
    299 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_9336.JPG
    IMG_9336.JPG
    242.4 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Sorry to hear about that. Honestly, those parts prices actually don't seem to bad. I once hit a large chunk of snow/ice in the middle of the highway (must have rolled off the snow plow) with a VW TDI. It caused something like $6k in damage. Likewise, the parts prices for my wife's explorer were in line or higher than these. I recall the hood being something like $1100.

Insurance covering most if not all of it?

Surprising the hood is only $771. I would think it's more. This got me wondering if I get a new hood, new lights, and new bumper, I can probably get the new fascia on my old fascia car with the old looking rear.

Might be costly upgrade swapping out that many parts, but I hear the new bumper is cheaper because of less parts involved. It just doesn't retrofit because of the hood.

Sorry to hear about that. Honestly, those parts prices actually don't seem to bad. I once hit a large chunk of snow/ice in the middle of the highway (must have rolled off the snow plow) with a VW TDI. It caused something like $6k in damage. Likewise, the parts prices for my wife's explorer were in line or higher than these. I recall the hood being something like $1100.
We have a TDI, soon headed for the crusher. Anyway, the VW prices are obscene. Simple mechanical parts are many times what they should. Most unreliable, expensive to own car we have ever had. Very happy for the buyback.

Reactions: brantse
Insurance covering most if not all of it?

Surprising the hood is only $771. I would think it's more. This got me wondering if I get a new hood, new lights, and new bumper, I can probably get the new fascia on my old fascia car with the old looking rear.

Might be costly upgrade swapping out that many parts, but I hear the new bumper is cheaper because of less parts involved. It just doesn't retrofit because of the hood.
I thought the same thing! Would be interesting as I have rock chips on my front bumper, nose cone and hood. Could replace them all and get the new look.

Sorry to hear about your car, OP. That sucks and is scary.

Good post, and lucky for you, as the deer could have hit your windshield. Maybe, in the automated driving future we will track deer by the highways with infrared heat seeking quadcopter drones powered buy Tesla 18650 batteries. 600,000 new drones are coming and I am sure Telsa, is looking at supplying batteries.