TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Fought a deer and nobodyg won!

Discussion in 'Model S' started by boonedocks, Oct 19, 2016.

Tags:
  1. boonedocks

boonedocks Member

#1 boonedocks, Oct 19, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
    So traveling on a lonely state highway at 55 mph (posted speed limit) a deer decided to leap in front of my car from the side of the road. I always watch well into distance for deer in this area but this particular one literally came out of nowhere. If it hadn't of been flipping in the air like a rag doll higher than than a street light and as far off the road as I could follow it before it disappeared.....it could have been Prancer scoping out for his Christmas run.

For those that are interested here are the current prices for parts for Tesla repairs. I remembered reading how high they were in past posts so thought some others might want to know.

*(Mod please feel free to move my post if it is better suited somewhere else.)

'15 Model S 85D all options

Grille w/prk sensor $450
    Molding $450
    Emblem $50
    Lower grille w/distance sensor $78
    Bumper cover w/prk sensor $415
    RT Headlamp w/Xenon $830
    Sight shield w/o chrome inserts $150
    Radiator support composite $650
    Hood (ALU) $771
    Insulator $228.58
    Module $175.44

So that's the preliminary parts list and it is in the hands of a very capable repair center. Thank goodness no airbags or windshield/body frame damage.

How do I edit the Post Title :/

Attached Files:

2. brantse

brantse Member

Sorry to hear about that. Honestly, those parts prices actually don't seem to bad. I once hit a large chunk of snow/ice in the middle of the highway (must have rolled off the snow plow) with a VW TDI. It caused something like $6k in damage. Likewise, the parts prices for my wife's explorer were in line or higher than these. I recall the hood being something like $1100.

3. No2DinosaurFuel

No2DinosaurFuel Active Member

Insurance covering most if not all of it?

Surprising the hood is only $771. I would think it's more. This got me wondering if I get a new hood, new lights, and new bumper, I can probably get the new fascia on my old fascia car with the old looking rear.

Might be costly upgrade swapping out that many parts, but I hear the new bumper is cheaper because of less parts involved. It just doesn't retrofit because of the hood.

4. boonedocks

boonedocks Member

5. gene

gene Supporting Member

We have a TDI, soon headed for the crusher. Anyway, the VW prices are obscene. Simple mechanical parts are many times what they should. Most unreliable, expensive to own car we have ever had. Very happy for the buyback.

• Like x 1
  6. byan1232

byan1232 Member

Wow, to be honest, the parts are actually much cheaper than I expected...

Sorry to hear about the accident. Hopefully you are back up and running soon!

7. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Those parts prices are astonishingly reasonable. Glad the damage was not worse.

8. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

I thought the same. Someone is listening! The prices are great news for all of us.

Sorry that happened to your car, though. You can at least take some solace in the fact that the quarter panels lived and your airbags didn't go off. Glad you're ok!

9. 3s-a-charm

3s-a-charm Active Member

I thought the same thing! Would be interesting as I have rock chips on my front bumper, nose cone and hood. Could replace them all and get the new look.

Sorry to hear about your car, OP. That sucks and is scary.

10. man18650

man18650 New Member

Good post, and lucky for you, as the deer could have hit your windshield. Maybe, in the automated driving future we will track deer by the highways with infrared heat seeking quadcopter drones powered buy Tesla 18650 batteries. 600,000 new drones are coming and I am sure Telsa, is looking at supplying batteries.

11. zambono

zambono Member

12. boonedocks

boonedocks Member

Having to drive my old daily driver. If only our Tesla'a had infrared night vision on the A/P. The best of both worlds

Attached Files:

• Informative x 1