TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Found 10mm socket head screw under car

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by kiNGng3, Sep 8, 2019.

1. kiNGng3

kiNGng3 Member

Reaching out to the community to see if this 10mm socket head screw found on my garage floor under the rear passenger tire belongs in the Model 3 somewhere? I found it odd to see a screw I've never seen in the garage before lying right under the rear tire. The screw has a 10mm head and is about 1" long:

IMG_1284.jpg

Any ideas? My garage floor is super clean so this was a surprise!

2. m3snowy

m3snowy Member

Try look underneath the plastic bumper cover aft of the rear wheelwell. I had to remove one just like this to install my rear mud guards.

• Like x 1
  3. yerEVan

yerEVan Member

There is a plastic cover right behind the front bumper on the belly of the car. It has a hole on either side of the car (2), and there are screws that may look like that, holding that plastic protective sheet on. I hit a dip in the road, and lost one of those and also scratched that plastic piece like crazy. Had to pay for mobile tech to come out and replace that piece and also the missing screw holding that one side in.

• Informative x 1
  4. NoMoGas

NoMoGas Supporting Member

Yup.Thats what that looks like.

5. kiNGng3

kiNGng3 Member

I thought the screws or clips that support the plastic sheet are plastic?! I guess I'll jack it up to see.

6. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Supporting Member

I have found that 99% of all of the screws in my Model 3 are machine screws.

That's not a machine screw.

Hopefully you didn't pick it up on the road somewhere.
    Or.....thankfully you picked it up on the raod and didn't run over it ( especially since there is no spare ).

7. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Active Member

I agree, that doesn’t look like a screw from a car. Also, look how beat up it is. Somehow your car picked it up from the road and dumped it in your garage. Quite the Good Samaritan.

8. ps004ynos

ps004ynos Member

That resembles some of the screws from our garage door. I've had one or two come off.

• Like x 1
  9. kiNGng3

kiNGng3 Member

definitely not the garage door...

screw looks pretty new...

10. AlanSubie4Life

AlanSubie4Life Active Member

Machine screws.

If you are talking about the aero cover under the car, it has about 8 machine screws/bolts holding it in.

So no match on either of these.

My guess is it came off the road somewhere. Could have been wedged in your tire and then dislodged in the garage. Or it is off of something in the garage.

If it came from the car, let us know. This is a good opportunity to make sure you have all your aero cover attachment bolts and rear diffuser bolts. There are about 25 to look for...

11. android04

android04 Member

Also, all the machine screws under my Model 3 have a black coating on them, so I'm pretty sure that the one you found is not from Model 3.

12. notrhj

notrhj Member

You found it !
    Super Sale Discount Tire And Auto-body

13. Electric Dream

Call that a find?
    This is a find...
    Untitled-4.jpg

14. SigNC

SigNC Member

I found a screw exactly like this in my garage a few days ago that I kinda dismissed. Now I'm wondering if it came off my car.

15. Wennfred

Wennfred Active Member

#15 Wennfred, Sep 9, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    It’s not the 10mm brake rotor screw, those have a flat tip.

Also it’s a National Fine Thread bolt since it’s used in the automotive field so either off the Tesla or an older car you had in the garage.

Fred

16. Kevy Baby

Kevy Baby Member

Am I the only one who is amused by the fact that it is a 10mm: the same size of socket that always seems to be missing?

o_O

17. Kirby64

Kirby64 Member

Not really amusing considering the 10mm always goes missing because the 10mm is what is always used. It makes sense: if 10mm is the most common, it's the most common wrench/socket to be borrowed/used, so most common to be lost.

Most cars that use metric are almost exclusively 10mm bolts unless you need a larger one for some reason.

18. Ludalicious

Ludalicious Member

10mm.jpg

• Funny x 3
  19. Kirby64

Kirby64 Member

I think the more appropriate gag would be to just have you remove a few 10mm bolts to access that spare, rather than break the glass. :D

20. CharleyBC

CharleyBC Member

My thought exactly. Though I bet there are a bunch of 10mm bolts here and there.