Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Found a 22 M3 LR .... Something is up.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of the photos on https://bid.cars/en/lot/0-33440375/2022-Tesla-Model-3-5YJ3E1EB7NF228522 has a 360 degree view. In that, you can see that the right side mirror housing looks melted. Looks like the stuff splattered onto the car was some hot material.

Note also that the door seal on the front passenger side was no longer attached to the door frame.
I cant see it. It's all blurred out, I'm assuming you have an account with them where you can actually see the photos ? I was gong to pay the $10 for this and for a vincheck and/or carfax, but from what I've read here it has to be a rebuilt title that will show up afterwards.

If it's just the fire damage, looks like it'd cost at least $3000 to fix. Need new paint on fender, door, bottom sill, new mirror, door seal. Plus the car probably smells like smoke.

More than likely it'd cost more than that to fix up properly. Looks like it sold for $45000? Seem like a pretty high price for something that could eventually have a salvage title attached.
It was already fixed up. I saw the car in person. Looks just fine to me. Then again Im not a paint expert, nor car expert. I looked at the paint, the door seams/gaps. Car looks perfect to me. Was going to do a PPI just in case, but everyones saying it has to be a rebuilt title that hasnt caught up with the car yet.

I'm going to guess that's transport damage. Car above could have burned. I doubt it's it's "wrecked" in the sense of being in an accident, but there's seemingly paint damage on other areas of the car as well. I'd stay away unless you have means to fix that on your own, if not, I doubt you will come out ahead after repair costs.
They already fixed it. It looks fine. One of the weird concerns is the Display shows 80 miles. or 50 miles, and the autocheck says 1089. And I dont know anything about these autocheck carfax stuff. Like one of the replies on here said, why would a perfectly good brand new Model 3 be at this buy here pay here shop, they they got from auction if nothing was wrong with it. right ?

I cant see it. It's all blurred out, I'm assuming you have an account with them where you can actually see the photos ? I was gong to pay the $10 for this and for a vincheck and/or carfax, but from what I've read here it has to be a rebuilt title that will show up afterwards.
No account there, and I can see the 360 degree view just fine.

Regarding the current lack of salvage or rebuilt title, it seems like the car has been moved around or titled in several states (CA, AZ, NV, FL), so any salvage or rebuilt status may not yet have caught up to it due to DMV slowness, or there may be an attempt at title washing.

No account there, and I can see the 360 degree view just fine.

Regarding the current lack of salvage or rebuilt title, it seems like the car has been moved around or titled in several states (CA, AZ, NV, FL), so any salvage or rebuilt status may not yet have caught up to it due to DMV slowness, or there may be an attempt at title washing.
Oh for me its all blurred out. I cant see the actual images or anything.

He just sent me the autocheck.. Shows it was done today 1/9.22 .. No salvage, no flood, no fire, no accidents, no auction rebranding, nothing. One owner, titled in AZ, 7 miles. as of 7/22/22. Says it was leased. And that is the only event. No Auction date, no purchase from this deal, nothing.

He just sent me the autocheck.. Shows it was done today 1/9.22 .. No salvage, no flood, no fire, no accidents, no auction rebranding, nothing. One owner, titled in AZ, 7 miles. as of 7/22/22. Says it was leased. And that is the only event. No Auction date, no purchase from this deal, nothing.

It sounds like you are really trying to talk yourself into this being ok. Thats up to you of course, its your money and situation. Just dont buy it expecting there to be full warranty coverage from tesla for it. You should only buy this if you are ok with paying for any repairs needed, and also ok if at some point supercharging gets disabled.

You may want to get an Autocheck, Carfax, or other title/registration check on your own (i.e. not through the dealer).

Given the IAAI history, can you trust a purported Autocheck report that shows what you say above?

So is this the car and dealer?
Yep. Thats the car.
I was going to get a carfax myself, but everyone on here said it HAS to be rebuilt and the title just hasnt caught up with it yet. So I was gonna forget about it. But if its a clean title and still under Tesla Warranty I might go make an offer this week. Seems like then it wouldn't be a bad deal. IF it is clean and under warranty. Would also get a PPI beforehand.

If you don't have experience buying rebuilt/salvage cars I wouldn't risk it. And for 45k I dont think that's a good price for a car with that risk potential. I've seen salvage/rebuilt model 3 performance's go for 20k with less mystery around them so I'm not sure this is a safe bet.

Anyone who puts "trust" in their name is definitely trustworthy.🤪

So they bought it for $45k plus fees, fixed it up, and are now selling it for $45,999?

I know this seems like a good deal to you, but it may be too good to be true.

A brand new M3LR with the $7,500 federal credit would only be a few thousand more, and would come with a warranty and a guaranteed clean title.

It just wouldn't be worth the risk to me.

Yep. Thats the car.
I was going to get a carfax myself, but everyone on here said it HAS to be rebuilt and the title just hasnt caught up with it yet.
However, a title / registration history (Carfax, Autocheck, etc.) that you get yourself may also clarify the transactions that are known to exist (e.g. IAAI auction) that are suspiciously absent from the report the dealer showed you, even if a possible salvage or rebuilt title has not caught up to the car yet.

Sorry for my ignorance guys, I'm not disagreeing with yall, I just dont know much here. So thank you for all your input.
If you don't have experience buying rebuilt/salvage cars I wouldn't risk it. And for 45k I dont think that's a good price for a car with that risk potential. I've seen salvage/rebuilt model 3 performance's go for 20k with less mystery around them so I'm not sure this is a safe bet.
I dont. I'm not trying to buy rebuilt/salvage. That's exactly what I'm trying to find out. He says its clean, autocheck says so too. But this "it hasnt caught up with the car yet" is what worries me. Buying it, and then a couple years from now I try and sell it and THEN it has a rebuilt title. Or, the day after I buy it and connect it to a Tesla account and they say its rebuilt and I dont have warranty. That's all im trying to clarify.

Anyone who puts "trust" in their name is definitely trustworthy.🤪

So they bought it for $45k plus fees, fixed it up, and are now selling it for $45,999?

I know this seems like a good deal to you, but it may be too good to be true.

A brand new M3LR with the $7,500 federal credit would only be a few thousand more, and would come with a warranty and a guaranteed clean title.

It just wouldn't be worth the risk to me.

Obviously thats why I trust them ! They are Motors TRUST ! haha. Yeah it "seems" like a good deal. If its legit I suppose. But I Dont want to buy brand new. And I would still offer a little lower anyway to make it a better deal lol.
However, a title / registration history (Carfax, Autocheck, etc.) that you get yourself may also clarify the transactions that are known to exist (e.g. IAAI auction) that are suspiciously absent from the report the dealer showed you, even if a possible salvage or rebuilt title has not caught up to the car yet.
This is the part that I'm really confused on. He showed me at the office on his phone, and then sent me the autocheck today and it shows all clear. The report shows it was pulled today. Unless he photoshopped it lol. What I dont get is this...

1) Why would the report be any different if I bought an autocheck?
2) Would there be any differences from autocheck, Carfax, Vincheck, Bumper, etc?
3) How does this "it hasnt caught up with the car" thing work? Does that mean I can total my car, have it fixed and sell it as a clean title BEFORE the DMV does their paperwork to deem it Salvage/rebuildable ?

Google "Title washing",
Well thats interesting !! HA.

So I just called my local Tesla dealer, she couldnt give me direct info because I'm not the owner, but her demeanor and her play on words were enough. She said something along the lines of "i would be weary about buying a car from a 3rd party dealer. You never know where the car was before, maybe it was bought at an auction from another state. Maybe Tesla sent said car to the auction for their own reasons. So even though I cant tell you about the title, I would be weary about purchasing from 3rd party dealers."

That's all I needed to know. Must not be warrantied by Tesla.

It's very common that cars are totalled and sold with perfectly clean titles. I worked with a Nissan dealership before and they sold some of these vehicles to other dealerships. They wouldn't sell it to an end customer themselves because they knew it was in a wreck and would have liability since they did repairs. But another dealership would buy it from them and then have no liability when selling it.

The only way to know a vehicle hasn't been totalled is to buy it new.

Second best way is if you actually know the original owner.

Third best is likely certified pre owned from dealer but even that could've been in a wreck.

Everything else you buy used has a risk it was in an unreported wreck, totalled, and is less safe. That risk might be extremely small, but it's not a certainty you will avoid it. A clean carfax is not proof a vehicle hasn't been in a wreck.

• Informative
Reactions: FeddyWap