Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Found a LOT of Model 3's in a Tesla lot - Pictures inside

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, thank you! I wish there was not this additional load/unload step in delivery, some cars do get damaged in transportation.
Funny you mention that because my friend went in to Tesla approved body shop for a dent he received in a parking lot. While at the shop there were 5-6 model 3’s in to get paint chips and scratches repaired that occurred during transit. I’m curious to learn if this is common with other car manufacturers that their vehicles arrive to their destinations with this sort of damage.

The south lot in Fremont is where cars produced from the factory go to loading depots. Most of the cars will either go to Richmond (~1 hr north of factory) or Lathrop (~1 hr east from factory) - Richmond is where they'll get loaded onto freight cars and Lathrop is where they'll be sent elsewhere. The bay area has premium real estate so that's why a huge lot at the factory wouldn't be practical so cars get stored in Richmond/Lathrop for transit. Tesla probably held off on delivering a bunch of cars to make sure they hit the 200K number for the federal tax credit after the 2nd quarter hence the inventory build up. That said, the opinion of a number of Tesla employees is that the logistics team is the weakest link and they screw up regularly. So another possibility is that they can't get enough car carriers to move the cars out of Lathrop.

I maintain that Tesla would benefit greatly from rebuilding the rail spur to the factory. The truck logistics must be a nightmare.

Reactions: Reddy Kilowatt
Funny you mention that because my friend went in to Tesla approved body shop for a dent he received in a parking lot. While at the shop there were 5-6 model 3’s in to get paint chips and scratches repaired that occurred during transit. I’m curious to learn if this is common with other car manufacturers that their vehicles arrive to their destinations with this sort of damage.

I'm pretty sure it is, but most dealers have their own body shop to do the repairs, so the cars never leave the dealer so people never know about it.

The south lot in Fremont is where cars produced from the factory go to loading depots. Most of the cars will either go to Richmond (~1 hr north of factory) or Lathrop (~1 hr east from factory) - Richmond is where they'll get loaded onto freight cars and Lathrop is where they'll be sent elsewhere. The bay area has premium real estate so that's why a huge lot at the factory wouldn't be practical so cars get stored in Richmond/Lathrop for transit. Tesla probably held off on delivering a bunch of cars to make sure they hit the 200K number for the federal tax credit after the 2nd quarter hence the inventory build up. That said, the opinion of a number of Tesla employees is that the logistics team is the weakest link and they screw up regularly. So another possibility is that they can't get enough car carriers to move the cars out of Lathrop.

And to second Big Earl also, Telsa badly needs to bring rail back into the plant where they could drive them right onto the railcars out of the tent.

Distribute them around the country and then worry about what area they go to. build the number of sidings(tracks) to match the number of hubs nationwide.

How does aluminum rust?
Quickly, shallowly, and self protectively.
;)
(Only because I thought the same thing)

Quick! Call the news! I saw hundreds of cars baking in the sun also. They were at places called dealerships (where unpurchased cars languish for an average of ~60-70 days, GM hit 100 days inventory in 2017, that's over a freaking quarter!).

P.S. Don't tell them about parking lots where cars sit after they are purchased...Boring company, save our cars!

How does aluminum rust?
Well at least there's some steel on the Model 3. It's just so damn comical, though. "Oh no, they might have a few weeks of production in their supply chain, DOOOOOOOOOMED!"

Clearly they are still finding their legs in logistics but with the success in ramping manufacturing it was inevitable and any logistics plan they had gets tested. You can try plan the logistics ramp but then it happens and you've got to hammer the bumps out into the actual process as plan meets reality.

Reactions: RedOctober
I just read the article on Electric showing the pictures of the cars. well at least I can say there putting the cars in a lot with ACTIVE rail spur. maybe there waiting on the rail cars. :D

Tesla is stocking ‘thousands’ of Model 3’s in parking lots, shorts are freaking out about it

I need the forum posters who has the avatar beating the dead horse.

@ValueAnalyst has received the 'First the first they laugh at you/ Short Parody Account' achievement, congratulations! (Value Dissenter)

Seriously, sub 2 weeks of ordered production in transit vs 8+ weeks of idle inventory on dealer lots...

They're prepping a HUGE number of cars just down the road from the Fremont Delivery Center too (across 880 from the factory, about 2-3mi away I think). They go on as far as the eye can see.

Attachments

• DSCF0285 (1).jpg
    DSCF0285 (1).jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 109
Quickly, shallowly, and self protectively.
;)
(Only because I thought the same thing)

Quick! Call the news! I saw hundreds of cars baking in the sun also. They were at places called dealerships (where unpurchased cars languish for an average of ~60-70 days, GM hit 100 days inventory in 2017, that's over a freaking quarter!).

P.S. Don't tell them about parking lots where cars sit after they are purchased...Boring company, save our cars!

I've never seen any information on this, but it would be interesting to see the average time between final production to customer driving the car off the "dealer" lot. I would bet Tesla has the lowest average in North America. I know for my car is was about 10 days and it sat 6 days in Portland waiting to get prepped because the delivery center was that far behind. And the Memorial Day weekend was in the 4 days between final production and arrival in Portland!

• Informative
Reactions: RedOctober
I've never seen any information on this, but it would be interesting to see the average time between final production to customer driving the car off the "dealer" lot. I would bet Tesla has the lowest average in North America. I know for my car is was about 10 days and it sat 6 days in Portland waiting to get prepped because the delivery center was that far behind. And the Memorial Day weekend was in the 4 days between final production and arrival in Portland!

I realize it's global, but, for S/X. wouldn't that be the in-transit number divided by weekly build rate? Roughly 2 weeks at the end of Q1...