Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Found a LOT of Model 3's in a Tesla lot - Pictures inside

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, I saw that driving by yesterday. Most I have ever seen. Then on the way back, they were all gone and a couple of empty trucks were there. Quite a lot of cars moving out. Still not sure why I keep seeing trucks full of cars moving TOWARDS the factory. Saw two full trucks going down 80 north of the factory on my way home. Maybe they just keep driving in circles trying to get around traffic. I have been witnessing a ton of trucks driving from Lanthrop going west in the last few weeks. Perhaps they are going to the Richmond train depot, I don't follow them. Just see SO MANY truck-fulls of Teslas driving around here.

-Randy

I live in Sac and I usually see the loaded trucks going I5 North, which makes sense but sometime last week I saw at least 2 truckloads during my commute heading I5 south, which makes no sense because that is toward the factory as well.

• Informative
Reactions: shootformoon
583F3709-E1E8-4E3A-BC38-538BE53F35F5.jpeg
C8F2A1F5-E296-4D34-9B76-97AE7F06E645.jpeg
1EF0BC27-0449-4691-AEBD-3B991E6FE537.jpeg
0F88167E-451C-4A0D-935A-246FAD936488.jpeg
A76246B3-35AA-47A4-B872-3FED5B01E1A8.jpeg
1CDDD1BB-48D7-425D-8F43-94D21F8790C6.jpeg
0BA256CC-A990-4D3F-BFEF-DBDD7C05B41F.jpeg
301D1C71-0BBE-4D3E-97D1-FB26CAD07E56.jpeg
9/26/2018 - only seven carriers this morning and the lot is pretty full. I got a message from Tesla last night that my M3 performance is ready to pick later this week. Ordered on 9/12/18 so maybe my car is in the lot somewhere there ;)

Watching the cars get moved around, one by one. Painful.

I know we will likely not get self-delivering cars as they would arrive with potential road damage, and miles that the customer doesn't want on the car when it's new, but I can definitely see them programming the cars to swarm to the car carriers from the end of the factory line. Every time a truck loads up, the cars all move down the parking lot at once and fill the next truck loading area. Maybe even for loading trains if they ever add trains back to the factory.

-Randy

Reactions: lklundin

I know we will likely not get self-delivering cars as they would arrive with potential road damage, and miles that the customer doesn't want on the car when it's new, but I can definitely see them programming the cars to swarm to the car carriers from the end of the factory line. Every time a truck loads up, the cars all move down the parking lot at once and fill the next truck loading area. Maybe even for loading trains if they ever add trains back to the factory.

-Randy
Maybe the new car carriers are designed with summon in mind?

Reactions: israndy

-Randy

I got mine delivered today by a test engineer driving up my car to my place from Fremont. I guess whether the car is on a car carrier or on the roads there’s always a chance for an accident.

I got mine delivered today by a test engineer driving up my car to my place from Fremont. I guess whether the car is on a car carrier or on the roads there’s always a chance for an accident.
I did hear about that, someone I volunteered with at Tesla in Fremont was saying she had her car delivered to her, but they only go 15 miles to your place, farther than that and you have to come get it yourself. The disadvantage was at the 15 min mark her ride came and took the delivery person away, no more questions. Hope you got all that before they go.

-Randy

I did hear about that, someone I volunteered with at Tesla in Fremont was saying she had her car delivered to her, but they only go 15 miles to your place, farther than that and you have to come get it yourself. The disadvantage was at the 15 min mark her ride came and took the delivery person away, no more questions. Hope you got all that before they go.

-Randy
I’m about 40 miles from the factory so I’m sure they were willing to go the extra mile to get extra revenue for the quarter end. The engineer took the twisty, sf bay view route to my place so he said it was well worth his time. I was more eager to take the car out and drive, so I took off after ~30 min of going over the car, signing docs and some explanations. ;)

Reactions: RTPEV
That would be the automated dream. Have the car smart enough to drive off the production line, take itself around the test course and report any issues, and then get at the back of the line for getting on the train. Especially cool if you could give the car hand signs like you can a drone to control its movements onto the train.

It probably should handle the "come ahead" and the "stop there" hand signs people outside the car give it just for general safe driving.

-Randy

The reason the Uber shows up 15 mins after the Tesla person arrives with your vehicle is their Tesla Direct - Courier Checklist requires it:

1. Setup and Confirmation Call

Take Action (I'm omitting the "Verify or Confirm" part for each action here)
  • Physically locate the vehicle at the delivery center
  • Visual inspection of vehicle
  • Text or Call Customer with ETA when Leaving
  • Schedule Uber for 15 minutes after ETA (if no Trade-in)
  • Pack: Customer Documents
  • Pack: Detail Bag (if available)
  • Pack: Incentive folder
Later, under The Customer Handoff, it states:

The goal of the customer handoff is to provide your customer with the information that they need to get on the road and start enjoying their new Tesla in 5 minutes or less!​

-Randy

• Informative