Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Found: Front mud flaps that fit without trimming

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Found front mud flaps that will fit without trimming on the MY. Very inexpensive on Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07T545SDS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are flexible enough that if you firmly press them into place, they contour to the body nicely without trimming and look 'factory'. Only downside is that you need to drill all new holes in the plastic wheel arch trim to mount them. None of the factory holes line up. Going to install tomorrow, but install looks simple enough - press firmly into place, mark holes, drill, then mount. I may actually place in boiling water to loosen them up more and press into place to stretch them out a bit for an easier fit, but these are WAY closer fit vs. the M3 mud flaps. Will look about as factory as we are going to get for now.

20200719_011105924_iOS.jpg

20200719_011139564_iOS.jpg

20200719_011143930_iOS.jpg

20200719_011251399_iOS.jpg

As for rear mud flaps, I only see custom-designed as a solution for the MY, since the wheel arch is really curved at the rear, creating a difficult mounting surface. I purchased a 6" wide roll of Xpel to cover the rear bumper area above the black plastic as my safeguard against road rash from the rear tires.

So...unfortunately they aren't working out so well without really making a good deal of holes in the car, so I'm moving on to plan B before drilling a bunch of holes.

For about the same price, I purchased a set for an M3 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WRQZN4C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It looks like the bottom 2 holes align perfectly if I push hard on the flap to make it contour, so I'm going to put the flap in boiling water to see if it makes it pliable enough to align the holes easily without force. If that works, I'll move to making a single hole at the top of the flap and mount with the provided plastic inserts that match the factory-style plastic clips.

Will post my results.

A huge bummer today, though. I had to run an errand and even though I'd already driven about 275 miles with no issues, I drove 45 miles today, and when I got home, I found that the bottom rear corner of both rear doors now have 1 or 2 very small chips in them. Son of a... I simply haven't had the time to mount the flaps, and now this happens. I'll repair the chips, but it still sucks. I purchased a roll of Xpel 6" PPF that I'm going to make 2 small rectangles that I'll put in that location on both doors to protect from future chips (should have been located here at the factory, IMO). Hindsight, I should have asked the PPF installer to cover the lower parts of my rear doors when I had my entire front of the car PPF covered, but with all the black plastic rockers/wheel arches, at the time it didn't dawn on me until another post that the rear doors would be an issue.

Reactions: HeyEph
So the molded rubber M3 flaps simply were too hard to make work without major modifications, so I went with these instead:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07STZDXTS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are quite pricey for what they are, and I haven't figured out how to modify the rears, but I easily made the front work by drilling an additional hole in the flap itself vs. the body:

Mud_Flap1.jpg

Mud_Flap2.jpg

I also added Xpel 9" rocker panel PPF - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003EP3AFA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - to the rear bottom corners of both rear doors:

Rear_PPF2.jpg

It was pretty straightforward to apply, and the top seam doesn't look as bad in real-life as it does in the picture. But I've already seen a ton of debris land on the PPF and it is working out great. Even with the mud flaps, debris continues to hit this part of both rear doors. Hopefully if proper MY mudflaps are manufactured similar to the M3 version, the coverage from the front wheels will be better.

I’m concerned about damage I’m hearing about in what seems to be a “problem area” in front of the rear wheels or the bottom rear door. I don’t want to shell out $5k for PPF so i started to look into mud flaps like the OP. My question is with your experience of installing three different pairs and basically settling on what appears to be a flat universal plastic flap, how do you think these would work if even just for a temporary solution until a molded splash guard comes out?

https://www.amazon.com/Rally-Armor-MF12-BAS-RD-Universal-Hardware/dp/B017L0841I

I have a black Y and was trying to polish out all the flaws yesterday so i could do the ceramic coating and I noticed that the same area in front of the rear wheels on mine is getting pulverized. I cant polish it out for fear of going through the clear. I only have 1300km on the car. It is really well defined though so at least I know where to put the vinyl. I predict after the winter and everyone up north has driven on sanded roads, there is going to be a megathread on rear door damage.

I’m concerned about damage I’m hearing about in what seems to be a “problem area” in front of the rear wheels or the bottom rear door. I don’t want to shell out $5k for PPF so i started to look into mud flaps like the OP. My question is with your experience of installing three different pairs and basically settling on what appears to be a flat universal plastic flap, how do you think these would work if even just for a temporary solution until a molded splash guard comes out?

https://www.amazon.com/Rally-Armor-MF12-BAS-RD-Universal-Hardware/dp/B017L0841I

Looks like RallyArmor is going to create an MY version, so I would wait. They require the installation of a full metal (aluminum) bracket to install, which is custom to each car. They are not simply like the ones I purchased in my pics above that are basically a cut piece of black ABS plastic.

The best money I spent so far is really the PPF that I installed in about 15 minutes on each side form a roll of Xpel rocker panel PPF I purchased on Amazon. I keep an eye one it, and it is doing its job, to block debris as it is coming up from the front wheels. It will have less to do once I move from my ABS plastic mud flaps to when someone like RPM makes molded ones for the MY.

Looks like RallyArmor is going to create an MY version, so I would wait. They require the installation of a full metal (aluminum) bracket to install, which is custom to each car. They are not simply like the ones I purchased in my pics above that are basically a cut piece of black ABS plastic.

The best money I spent so far is really the PPF that I installed in about 15 minutes on each side form a roll of Xpel rocker panel PPF I purchased on Amazon. I keep an eye one it, and it is doing its job, to block debris as it is coming up from the front wheels. It will have less to do once I move from my ABS plastic mud flaps to when someone like RPM makes molded ones for the MY.

What makes you think RallyAmor is going to make one?