Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Found Least Expensive Compatible TPMS Sensors - $25.50/ea

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just FYI for anyone else who might be purchasing Autel sensors: The Autel MX-1 sensors come from the factory with an "area code" ID number. The ID number has to match the area of the programmer you're using or they won't work. This is intended to prevent the sensors that are intended to be sold in the Asian market from being programmed by a North American programmer and vice versa.

One of the Amazon retailers that I recently bought a set of sensors from sent Asian-coded sensors that could not be programmed by my North American programmer. This happened with two separate sets of sensors They apparently obtained their recent inventory from Asia, unaware that they could not be programmed by the North American programmers. I had to contact Autel tech support to verify this, which they did, and they recommended that I only purchase sensors from their list of authorized dealers.

I did purchase another set of sensors from a different vendor on Amazon that claims to be an Autel authorized dealer, although they are not listed on Autel's dealer sheet that they gave me. But, I verified that the sensors they are selling are indeed North American area code and they program properly:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075SBSV5Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Looks like the original link is sold out and now the price has gone up. I'm trying to figure out how to get a complete set of programmed sensors by Friday after next when I pickup my new wheels.

Last time I was at discount tire they re-programmed mine for free (I think anyways). I was having trouble after swapping wheels due to a flat.. Evasive recommended I buy OEM TPMS, they said that the aftermarket ones tend to not last very long?

Tesla TPMS are soooo expensive though...

Last edited:
New guy here, quick questions on TPMS sensors.

Reading the thread, sounds like its a 2 step process:

1. Buy programmed sensors or buy sensors and program yourself
2. Drive around until they sync with the Tesla system

If I don't have a programmer, will most shops have the tools needed to program the sensor? or are the programmers sensor brand specific?

If I don't have a programmer, will most shops have the tools needed to program the sensor? or are the programmers sensor brand specific?

Most shops have the programmers necessary to program some of the major brands like Schrader or Continental. From what I've seen, the Autel's need their own programmer. If you intend to buy Autel's and have the shop program them for you, the only way to know for sure if that will work is to specifically ask the shop if they have the programmer for it.

Reactions: zhu-
I guess the price has gone up?

Yes, they're about $32.50 each now.

How does the car know which tire / sensor is on which corner of the car?

There are 4 independent receivers, one in each wheel well, and they use the signal strength of the received signal to determine which sensor is in that wheel well.

Anyone else tried this in Toronto Area? Where did you get the Autel sensors and where did you get them programmed? I am thinking of picking up aftermarket rims and tires (20") and most local tire shops do not have TPMS sensors for the M3.

Well I have a set of four 18 inch Tesla stock Model 3 wheels with center caps and four aero covers for sale for anyone that wants to buy them. $180 total for the entire set since my wife wants me to get them out of our crowded garage. Shipping is extra (I'm guessing $40 to $50 per wheel?) and I can use the boxes my aftermarket wheels were shipped in. I guess I can ship anywhere in the continental US. Two of the wheels do have some curb rash. We can make an even better deal if you'll just come pick them up and I don't have to mess with shipping them.

Hi Guys,

I have a 2013 Model S and I need to replace my TPMS sensors as two of them stopped transmitting. My vehicle uses the BAO sensors (Tesla part # 1010938-01-B). I went to my local Discount Tire store and I had them install 4 new sensors in my vehicle. The part number of the new sensors are: BAO 2112 TQ40 RED 433 MHZ. They said they programmed them to my vehicle, but I have driven over 150 miles and the car still does not recognize the sensors. I went back to Discount Tire and they have no solution. I have a few questions:

1) Is there a way to cross-reference the TPMS sensor they installed (BAO 2112 TQ40 RED 433 MHZ) and verify that it is the same as the Tesla part # 1010938-01-B?

2) Assuming they installed the correct sensors, is there any special Tesla proprietary programming that needs to be done to the sensors that Discount Tire is not able to perform? Assuming the programming is not proprietary to Tesla, what specifically needs to be done, and what equipment is required? I would like to provide them step by step instructions.

Thanks for your help.

Seth

Hi Guys,

I have a 2013 Model S and I need to replace my TPMS sensors as two of them stopped transmitting. My vehicle uses the BAO sensors (Tesla part # 1010938-01-B). I went to my local Discount Tire store and I had them install 4 new sensors in my vehicle. The part number of the new sensors are: BAO 2112 TQ40 RED 433 MHZ. They said they programmed them to my vehicle, but I have driven over 150 miles and the car still does not recognize the sensors. I went back to Discount Tire and they have no solution. I have a few questions:

1) Is there a way to cross-reference the TPMS sensor they installed (BAO 2112 TQ40 RED 433 MHZ) and verify that it is the same as the Tesla part # 1010938-01-B?

2) Assuming they installed the correct sensors, is there any special Tesla proprietary programming that needs to be done to the sensors that Discount Tire is not able to perform? Assuming the programming is not proprietary to Tesla, what specifically needs to be done, and what equipment is required? I would like to provide them step by step instructions.

Thanks for your help.

Seth
This is the Model 3 forum. You should probably ask about it on the Model S forum. On the Model 3 there is no programming required and they're detected after a few miles of driving. I think the sensors may have to be programmed to work with the model of car (I ordered mine preprogrammed).

I looked on the Tesla shop here in Canada for TPM sensors, but did not see any listed. How did you buy yours from Tesla? The rep said they were not available for sale, and I have to drive 250 miles to get the winter tires installed in Vancouver