Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Found Least Expensive Compatible TPMS Sensors - $25.50/ea

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Except for me. One fell off the valve stem and beat itself to death in the wheel.

Yes, this has happened to you, one other person, and myself. This can rarely occur with the "snap-in" type of Autel sensors where the valve stem is anchored to the wheel with the lock nut, but the body of the sensor "snaps" onto the back of the valve stem. The snap mechanism can fail, and the sensor body can then fall off and will be loose inside the tire.

I'm now purchasing and using the "screw-in" type of sensor where there is a retaining screw that holds the body to the valve stem. This eliminates any chance of the sensor body detaching from the valve stem inside the tire.

• Helpful
Reactions: skrenes
That is great to hear and would have saved me probably >$300 for redoing the sensor and then buying Tesla sensors. Besides my time.
At least I found another use for my programmer. I can reset my tire locations on my F150 when the tires are rotated without having to let air out of the tires and then airing them back up.

Adding another data point.. I just bought the universal Autel sensors, and the TS408 programmer ($125), and was able to easily update the programmer via USB on Windows 10. I'm about to bring them to Discount Tire to get installed, mounted, and balanced and will see how it goes. They said $60/tire with a 6yr/75K mile warranty for the ones DT installs. I basically spent the exact same amount for the programmer and sensors but now have the programmer out of the deal, to use in the future. Thanks for this info!!

Hi, today I ordered 18x9 wheels and 255/40/18 tires for my 2020 Performance model 3. I was quoted 60$/sensor too. The tech told me that their sensors might not work on some Teslas and that we might have to take the stock sensors from the 20" wheels and use them on the 18" wheels. I will save $240 if they do not work, but I really want to keep the stock wheels untouched.

I drove to my service center and asked.

If you want an alternative, Discount tire sells TPMS for a little less than Tesla and then they would have to make them work because they sold them to you. Ask about their warranty. I think it is 7 years.

Yup, they are $60 each and the tech told me that they might not work. If they don't then they will have to use the ones on stock wheels. I really hope they do work.

Yes, this has happened to you, one other person, and myself. This can rarely occur with the "snap-in" type of Autel sensors where the valve stem is anchored to the wheel with the lock nut, but the body of the sensor "snaps" onto the back of the valve stem. The snap mechanism can fail, and the sensor body can then fall off and will be loose inside the tire.

I'm now purchasing and using the "screw-in" type of sensor where there is a retaining screw that holds the body to the valve stem. This eliminates any chance of the sensor body detaching from the valve stem inside the tire.
I was trying to figure out which one to get. Thanks for this post!

I am getting a 2021 M3P and so far I've only found TPMS sensors with bluetooth at PMCtire.com, but I'm still looking around. TPMS Tesla

Someone at Fastco (parent company of Replika) said that aftermarket TPMS should work, it just might require some patience. I'd rather pay top dollar and know they work. The PCM ones are expensive, so perhaps they are the way to go.

Hi,
anyone knows why I am not able to view the pictures attached to this post, where he shows the installation steps? The links do not work. Is it only me or is like that for everyone for some reason? Thanks!

This should be fixed, there was an SSL certificate issue on the server that serves the images.

Be aware that the Autel sensors discussed in this thread only work on Model S, Model X, and Model 3 vehicles before the latest refresh. (2020 and newer S/X/3, and all model Y vehicles use Bluetooth sensors which are not compatible with the Autel programmer).