Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Found loose clip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went to change the air filter because of a lingering mildew smell. When I removed the carpeted panel, I found this loose clip sitting on top of some metal brackets. It was not attached to anything and googling the numbers on it yielded no results. Any ideas what it could be for and if its important?

20210430_175130.jpg
20210430_175133.jpg
20210430_175136.jpg
20210430_175150.jpg

Hmm, I could guess but I’m sure I’d be way off. haha

I’d suggest searching the Tesla parts catalog. I did a quick search for “clip” and it’s probably not the right search term but I bet you can find it in the catalog somewhere.

You have to login with your Tesla.com credentials. This link is to the section for the center console. Parts Catalog

Let us know if you find out what it is!

Upvote 0
It looks like a tire pressure monitoring system receiver. There are 4 of them - one for each tire. If your TPMS system is working correctly then someone at the factory spaced out and left an extra one sitting loose in your car. In that case keep it as a souvenir of Tesla's on going QC struggle and, per Elon's directive, quest to cut costs no matter how small.

Reactions: Koolio46
Upvote 0
It is a tire pressure monitoring system receiver. There are 4 of them - one for each tire. If your TPMS system is working correctly then someone at the factory spaced out and left an extra one sitting loose in your car. In that case keep it as a souvenir of Tesla's on going QC struggle and, per Elon's directive, quest to cut costs no matter how small.
Wow, I would never have guessed that!

Upvote 0
I can't really find any certain information about what that part is - it sure looks like some kind of sensor. Hopefully someone can identify it because this is killing me. The Tesla parts catalog is like going back 40 years to the parts catalogs of bygone times.

Upvote 0
This just goes to show you how easy it is to get incorrect information over the internet when people, me in this case, post things based on a what they think without doing any real research. It is actually VW Audi group part number 5Q0 907 543 - cabin interior temperature sensor ( my guess is that the manufacturer is Valeo ). In VW Audi cars it is part of the HVAC module and is probably part of HVAC module in your car as well. This also makes sense since you found it while replacing the cabin air filter. I think the Tesla part number is probably 1494715-00-C based on my attempt to decipher the tesla parts catalog. The Tesla catalog reminds me of parts catalogs for German cars of the 50s and 60s which often had only a slight resemblance to your car since the parts in your car were whatever purchasing bought that week - so much fun. None the less if your climate control is working properly keep it as a souvenir.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I looked around a little more and found a similar clip on the right side panel of the center console which is removed to access the air filters; however there is nothing attached to it, and there were no loose wires nearby. My MY is an early build, vin 1191.
20210503_121128.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This just goes to show you how easy it is to get incorrect information over the internet when people, me in this case, post things based on a what they think without doing any real research. It is actually VW Audi group part number 5Q0 907 543 - cabin interior temperature sensor ( my guess is that the manufacturer is Valeo ). In VW Audi cars it is part of the HVAC module and is probably part of HVAC module in your car as well. This also makes sense since you found it while replacing the cabin air filter. I think the Tesla part number is probably 1494715-00-C based on my attempt to decipher the tesla parts catalog. The Tesla catalog reminds me of parts catalogs for German cars of the 50s and 60s which often had only a slight resemblance to your car since the parts in your car were whatever purchasing bought that week - so much fun. None the less if your climate control is working properly keep it as a souvenir.

Interesting. If its the sensor, there isn't anything connected to one I found on my post above. My cabin temp has seemed normal over the last year of ownership.

edit: I found the part number you listed here . It does appear to be a cabin temp sensor, I wonder if there are multiple sensors throughout the cabin.

edit2: Found it in the Tesla Parts Catalog. It appears there should be a total of 4 of those (part #8). With 1 loose one, and another not connected to anything, I'm a little worried.

Last edited:
Reactions: electricar
Upvote 0
The mystery deepens because the loose one has a different part number which means it is a different part. Having a part number listed with no reference to the parts drawing is a new one to me. I wouldn’t worry if it was mine because the HVAC is working as designed but if I had to take the car in for service or, even better, if a Ranger had to come to me ( no middle man this way ) for service I would certainly ask about it.

Upvote 0