Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Found loose connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2019 Model 3, 2wd, std range. Wife crashed through a deep puddle today, it blew the front belly pan off and soaked the area under the frunk (even blew front hubcaps off). She had some water dripping on her feet, so I removed driver under dash panels (airbag to my surprise) and the frunk looking for a seam that might have allowed the leak. While inspecting under the frunk I found a loose connector at the lower passenger side of the windshield. It looks to have three wires that hook directly to the windshield and there was a mating connector in the same area for the windshield to plug into. Before I reconnect it, I'd like to know what the three wires are for that connect to the windshield. I should note, not long ago, I had to pay tesla to replace a harness under the frunk area and I assume they left this connector unplugged. Question is, did they forget, or is it not required. I did find a tiny gap in a pinch weld where the water probably entered which I'll try to seal. Here is a pic of the connector I found not plugged in. I could not locate where the harness clip is supposed to plug into either, but I'll keep looking. Thanks in advance.
Model 3 rs windshield.jpg

She won't admit to going too fast and I know enough to let it go. She says I drive aggressive, but I've watched the app to see here going beyond 80 mph on expressway. Thanks for the info. A few months ago, we endured our first off warranty repair (65k miles) from Tesla. We were getting a host of alerts Like, Traction control, self-driving, steering assist, regen braking etc. all being disabled. Tesla claimed they replace a chafed wiring harness, and it is my guess that they failed to attach the connector. I don't want to wear out my welcome welcome, but I see another mystery part on the frunk. Any ideas on this?
M 4.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
Yeah, those things are supposed to break to cushion the blow for any pedestrians your wife might hit. Unfortunately they all break the very first time someone tries to install the cowl cover. Glue a block of wood inside it or something if you're handy. I made foam replacements for mine and there are lots of 3-D printed replacements around the internet as well.

I recommend using a firm foam like EPP to provide support without the risk of rattling, and you needn't make the whole thing out of foam like I did, just cut a piece of foam that fits inside the upper portion and completely replaces the lower portion.

1657338168556.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC
Yeah, mine was broke, I'll consider some adhesive and foam. I figured out a little about the big splash. It appears that the Tesla dealer not only failed to attach the connector to the windshield heater, but they also failed to install two bolts on the belly pan. One of the bolts was (critical) on the outside rear which allowed it to bend down and probably scooped alot more water which caused the pan to tear around the other bolts. The pan was torn at all the rear bolts except the outboard one where there was no bolt. Thanks again for your responses.

• Informative
Reactions: android04 and tm1v2
Yeah, those things are supposed to break to cushion the blow for any pedestrians your wife might hit. Unfortunately they all break the very first time someone tries to install the cowl cover. Glue a block of wood inside it or something if you're handy. I made foam replacements for mine and there are lots of 3-D printed replacements around the internet as well.

I recommend using a firm foam like EPP to provide support without the risk of rattling, and you needn't make the whole thing out of foam like I did, just cut a piece of foam that fits inside the upper portion and completely replaces the lower portion.

View attachment 826519
Nice.

Why is it surprising that any service department, even Tesla's, would forget to connect things. This is an industry wide issue because people are lazy and don't use a checklist. This is why I hate taking any vehicle in for repairs even warranty repairs.

Reactions: Msjulie
You might want to consider replacing the Tesla fiber skid plate with metal ones like: on eBay from company in Texas, lone-star-auto-part. Do a search for Tesla skid plate. They are fast shipping & free shipping too
I agree. I have this one that's made in Canada "Smash Me" Front Skid Plate for Tesla Model 3 and Model Y | MPP, and there's also this company that sells a front and rear plate that is made in the USA HPS Black Aluminum Skid Plate Undertray Protection Shield Tesla Model 3

Reactions: ColoradoMike