TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Found over 300 unnecessary welds

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by gilscales, Jun 30, 2018.

1. gilscales

gilscales Member

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  2. gilscales

gilscales Member

Can Elon Musk and Tesla Reinvent the Way Cars Are Made?

This is the article reffered to in the above post, They state that the car is still held together using about 5000 weld spots but that they identified some 300 that were not needed and reprogramed the robots to eliminate them

• Informative x 1
  3. webdbbt

webdbbt Member

I was hovering over the 'Order' button when I saw your post. The Quartz article links to the original NY Times article that states that "company executives" decided that 300 of the 5,000 welds could be eliminated. While I'm sure engineering had input into the decision I must say this bothers me. Even if the welds are unnecessary, removing them has to have some effect on rigidity. Wouldn't this remove some redundancy or safety margin in a severe accident? If a critical weld fails in an accident, the "redundant" welds might have helped maintain body integrity. Also noise, vibration and harshness could be altered. I hope this doesn't introduce squeaks and rattles!

One reason I like Tesla is because of their excellent crash-worthiness. Does this change invalidate any crash testing done to date?

• Like x 1
  4. gilscales

gilscales Member

I believe Munro and associates had commented in their teardown of the 3 that there were a number of redundant welds that were unnecessary in their opinion.

eliminating 6% of the spot welds does not seam like it would effect the overall structural rigidity if they did proper analysis and in fact it is quite possible that too many spots welds in certain areas would actually weaken the metal more.

• Informative x 1
  5. Electroman

Electroman Active Member

The other companies might also be improvising similar things but we don’t hear those things

• Like x 3
  6. gilscales

gilscales Member

Exactly!

7. gilscales

gilscales Member

From the article

"In recent weeks, company executives concluded they could produce Model 3 underbodies with fewer spot welds than they had been using. The car is still held together by about 5,000 welds, but engineers concluded that some 300 were unnecessary and reprogrammed robots to assemble the steel underbody without them."

Yes the "Executives" concluded that the "Engineers" made the right call to eliminate some 300 unnecessary welds.

• Informative x 3
  8. webdbbt

webdbbt Member

Thanks, I missed that reading too fast. Well, I've pushed the button so I'll be getting one of those cars with 300 fewer welds in the Sep-Nov timeframe.

AWD / PUP / Aero / Deep Blue

9. Bays

Bays Member

How do you know 5000 welds is the right amount? Why not 5300 for extra redundancy?

10. omgwtfbyobbq

omgwtfbyobbq Active Member

• Funny x 2
    • Love x 2
  11. gilscales

gilscales Member

Because of the "Engineers"
    what about 5700 or 6285 I mean it is up to the engineering team to decide what is the right amount, If you put to many spot welds to close together then you actually can weaken the metal so it is possible that it is even stronger now, how would we know? because the engineers said so I guess? like others have said I'm sure this stuff goes on all the time but it never makes the news because its not Tesla

• Like x 1
  12. Dutchie

Dutchie Member

Why is everything Tesla so wide in the news? Who cares about these welds?
    It almost seems that a Tesla with a flat tire would make a headline nowadays.

• Like x 3
  13. deonb

deonb Supporting Member

14. slipnslider

slipnslider Member

They made the car stronger than it needs to be? Oh darn.

15. Kristoffer Helle

Engineering...
    I work with on site machining.
    People pay thousands of dollars to make things straight. 100k dollars in expensive paint removal.. Then they take new measurement and paint it again..

Have you seen how the model S armrest and console is made?
    Someone should make a video of that. Over engineering x10. And it still looks like s....

16. Stanislav T.

Stanislav T. New Member

I'm an engineering student and I can tell you 300 welds out of 500 doesn't play a big difference if engineers decided that they are unnecessary. If anything too many welds can also weaken structural strength.

• Like x 1
  17. Bays

Bays Member

It was sarcasm, in case it wasn't obvious. See, "6001 hulls" after.

18. M109Rider

M109Rider Member

Thumbs up to that.
    No wonder Elon looses his patience from time to time.

He must shake his head at these types of threads. ...

• Like x 1
  19. Ormond

Ormond Member

20. gilscales

gilscales Member

Yeah I must have missed that!