Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Found over 300 unnecessary welds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was hovering over the 'Order' button when I saw your post. The Quartz article links to the original NY Times article that states that "company executives" decided that 300 of the 5,000 welds could be eliminated. While I'm sure engineering had input into the decision I must say this bothers me. Even if the welds are unnecessary, removing them has to have some effect on rigidity. Wouldn't this remove some redundancy or safety margin in a severe accident? If a critical weld fails in an accident, the "redundant" welds might have helped maintain body integrity. Also noise, vibration and harshness could be altered. I hope this doesn't introduce squeaks and rattles!

One reason I like Tesla is because of their excellent crash-worthiness. Does this change invalidate any crash testing done to date?

Reactions: Teslie
I believe Munro and associates had commented in their teardown of the 3 that there were a number of redundant welds that were unnecessary in their opinion.

eliminating 6% of the spot welds does not seam like it would effect the overall structural rigidity if they did proper analysis and in fact it is quite possible that too many spots welds in certain areas would actually weaken the metal more.

• Informative
Reactions: shrspeedblade
the original NY Times article that states that "company executives" decided that 300 of the 5,000 welds could be eliminated.

From the article

"In recent weeks, company executives concluded they could produce Model 3 underbodies with fewer spot welds than they had been using. The car is still held together by about 5,000 welds, but engineers concluded that some 300 were unnecessary and reprogrammed robots to assemble the steel underbody without them."

Yes the "Executives" concluded that the "Engineers" made the right call to eliminate some 300 unnecessary welds.

From the article

"In recent weeks, company executives concluded they could produce Model 3 underbodies with fewer spot welds than they had been using. The car is still held together by about 5,000 welds, but engineers concluded that some 300 were unnecessary and reprogrammed robots to assemble the steel underbody without them."

Yes the "Executives" concluded that the "Engineers" made the right call to eliminate some 300 unnecessary welds.
Thanks, I missed that reading too fast. Well, I've pushed the button so I'll be getting one of those cars with 300 fewer welds in the Sep-Nov timeframe.

AWD / PUP / Aero / Deep Blue

I was hovering over the 'Order' button when I saw your post. The Quartz article links to the original NY Times article that states that "company executives" decided that 300 of the 5,000 welds could be eliminated. While I'm sure engineering had input into the decision I must say this bothers me. Even if the welds are unnecessary, removing them has to have some effect on rigidity. Wouldn't this remove some redundancy or safety margin in a severe accident? If a critical weld fails in an accident, the "redundant" welds might have helped maintain body integrity. Also noise, vibration and harshness could be altered. I hope this doesn't introduce squeaks and rattles!

One reason I like Tesla is because of their excellent crash-worthiness. Does this change invalidate any crash testing done to date?

How do you know 5000 welds is the right amount? Why not 5300 for extra redundancy?

How do you know 5000 welds is the right amount? Why not 5300 for extra redundancy?

Because of the "Engineers"
what about 5700 or 6285 I mean it is up to the engineering team to decide what is the right amount, If you put to many spot welds to close together then you actually can weaken the metal so it is possible that it is even stronger now, how would we know? because the engineers said so I guess? like others have said I'm sure this stuff goes on all the time but it never makes the news because its not Tesla

Reactions: M109Rider
Engineering...
I work with on site machining.
People pay thousands of dollars to make things straight. 100k dollars in expensive paint removal.. Then they take new measurement and paint it again..

Have you seen how the model S armrest and console is made?
Someone should make a video of that. Over engineering x10. And it still looks like s....

Because of the "Engineers"
what about 5700 or 6285 I mean it is up to the engineering team to decide what is the right amount, If you put to many spot welds to close together then you actually can weaken the metal so it is possible that it is even stronger now, how would we know? because the engineers said so I guess? like others have said I'm sure this stuff goes on all the time but it never makes the news because its not Tesla

It was sarcasm, in case it wasn't obvious. See, "6001 hulls" after.