TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Found screw - Where did it come from?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Pilot_51, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Pilot_51

Pilot_51 Member

After washing my car today, right after opening the sunroof while standing outside the door, I noticed a screw sitting in the back-middle of the driver seat. I checked around and the only other screws it matched were the four on the sunroof rails, which were all there. Could it have come from somewhere else? It's certainly possible that it was dropped at service about 3 weeks ago when they were fixing an issue with the sunroof and fell into my seat when I opened the sunroof this time. I didn't notice anything behaving unusual. I just want to be sure my car isn't missing this screw before I toss it.

IMG_20150823_193200.jpg

2. FLDarren

FLDarren Member

I have no idea what screw that is and I've dismantled almost my entire car. Don't throw it away! Put it in the driver side cup holder. I never have a drink in that cup holder. I put some small things there for safe keeping. lol

3. Sheldon17

Sheldon17 New Member

Check the sliding handrests covering the cup holders, if one of them is loose then it fell out of the bottom.

4. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

Those are silver torx screws, not black.

5. SDRick

SDRick Member

It looks like the oil pan drain plug to me!

6. Pilot_51

Pilot_51 Member

Good idea. I almost never put drinks in my cup holders and also use it for small things.

7. kmontoya

kmontoya Member

Yeah, and I don't remember the head being quite so large, mine fell out 1 week after delivery.

8. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

Both of mine fell out within 2 months. I got the front one back in myself (after getting that goo all over my hands), when the rear one fell out, I didn't feel like disassembling the whole thing and brought it in (for something else, but also had them fix this).

9. kushari

kushari Model S 70D

Well There's your Problem!!!:tongue:

10. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

It's from the pano roof mount:

6f68187a4dfd2ece8a1779a721459ea3.jpg

11. DMA

DMA Member

yes that was my first guess too: pano roof screws

12. Pilot_51

Pilot_51 Member

Since I'm not visibly missing any screws on the pano mount (I see 4), my question is if there is anywhere else less obvious that it could have come from. If not, it most certainly came from the pano mount when it was last serviced and is not a concern.

13. Pilot_51

Pilot_51 Member

Just got a call from service about it and they confirmed that the four screws I saw in the sunroof are the only screws of that type, so this is resolved.

Edit: I should give more recognition where due. Kody at Cleveland is the one who confirmed it. He's been great with all my service interactions. Thanks, Kody!

14. ArcticSun

ArcticSun Member

Pano only screw. If you have them all there, then this is extra. Your car probably got a rework or saw the water booth a couple times :)

15. Pilot_51

Pilot_51 Member

The moving glass was replaced twice since July (first time didn't completely fix the issue, second time made it right). I'm pretty sure the screw came from the second replacement. Water/leaking was not the issue.